Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-18-2022, 08:16 PM

73,075 posts, read 62,706,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Bingo…wayyyy more capital punishment needed.
Alabama has plenty of capital punishment. Alabama has a far worse murder rate than Pennsylvania. Birmingham, so-called "Pittsburgh of the South" has a murder rate more than twice as high as Pittsburgh. I don't think the individuals murdering each other care if they live or die. Birmingham has violence that would make Detroit squirm.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:19 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,242,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Maybe I would keep out of this if I never saw any complaints about Black people on these forums. And yet, I do. I also notice a pattern. Here on city-data, this is what I've seen among those making criticisms of Black people. I notice a relatively high percentage of said persons live in the Pittsburgh area, Milwaukee, Philadelphia, and St. Louis. This is what I've noticed over the last 15 years of being on city-data.

Whenever I notice patterns like that, and then I read articles about certain cities being among the worst cities for Black people, I start wondering. By the way, having spent a large portion of my life in the Atlanta area, I've run into plenty of Black people from other parts of the USA. I notice many Black people who migrated from Milwaukee or Pittsburgh don't miss it at all. This makes me ask alot of questions.

It's not just stuff I'm hearing. I'm reading about this stuff. I'm watching documentaries about this. I'm reading about American history. Research about this topic is literally the best I can do at this point. You claiming I'm just making excuses doesn't count as a rebuttal. If you think you know better about this than I do, I challenge you to prove me wrong, on EVERYTHING.
The truth is often unpopular, and the fact is the demographic is committing the majority of the murders, so yes, there’s criticism.

If you have so many questions you should visit Pittsburgh and Milwaukee and see for yourself.

I’ve already proven you wrong many times with your excuses for those who commit the majority of murders as the stats don’t lie. Why don’t you visit the cities you’re hearing about and see for yourself, and if there is a problem, help doing something about it?

Old 08-18-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by szug-bot View Post
i refuse to buy into it. everyone enjoys, it seems, moments when they can look bad a$$ and "tell off" someone (that is how we used to say it - i dont know what the current term is to 'tell off' someone).

people need that moment of power and superiority for affirmation.

edit after reading a more recent post of yours, green_mariner:

i agree, its conditioning and socialization, but not entirely. i do feel everything is based in large part on personal choices. but the 'conditioning' (if that is the word you used) - yep, i agree.
Being socialized to be violent, the mentality of hopelessness and "kill or be killed", this is quite common in the ghettos. And it doesn't help at all. When people are conditioned to accept violence as a means of solving problems, not even the death penalty can solve that.

On the flip side, I think about this. I notice that within the Black population, the middle and upper classes are doing far better. Most of the murders within the Black population are in the ghettos, within the underclass. The higher echelons of the Black population, far less violence.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Alabama has plenty of capital punishment. Alabama has a far worse murder rate than Pennsylvania. Birmingham, so-called "Pittsburgh of the South" has a murder rate more than twice as high as Pittsburgh. I don't think the individuals murdering each other care if they live or die. Birmingham has violence that would make Detroit squirm.
How many criminals are subjected to capital punishment in Alabama each year?

Just because you think so doesn’t make it so. Big difference between spinning through the revolving door of justice than knowing one is going to be executed if caught.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:25 PM

Quote:
The truth is often unpopular, and the fact is the demographic is committing the majority of the murders, so yes, there’s criticism.

If you have so many questions you should visit Pittsburgh and Milwaukee and see for yourself.

I’ve already proven you wrong many times with your excuses for those who commit the majority of murders as the stats don’t lie. Why don’t you visit the cities you’re hearing about and see for yourself, and if there is a problem, help doing something about it?
What truth? I have a thread literally talking about the Black murder rates, broken down by states and I get down to the local levels. What I'm seeing out of many posters is anger and frustration at Black people as a whole. I'm not seeing "the truth". I'm just seeing anger.

No you haven't proven me wrong. You haven't proven that anything I've said regarding Pittsburgh or Milwaukee was wrong.

And yes, I do have a problem with individuals complaining about Blacks as a whole. You have a problem with me making criticisms regarding Pittsburgh. Well, now you know how I feel as a Black person when I have to read people complaining about Black people.

And the truth is, the only thing I can do is obey the law, work hard, and stay away from the ghettos.

By the way, my father is from Milwaukee, born and raised. He's told me plenty of Milwaukee. I've been to Milwaukee myself, so don't think I'm just talking out of my rear end.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:32 PM

5,097 posts, read 2,319,593 times
Quote:
I'm trying to say "The crime rate would drop if a larger portion of the Black population was in the middle/upper middle class reaches of society".
Grade school performance is going to have to go up first. It has to start there. Then high school performance, then college, and on down the line.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:32 PM

Quote:
What truth? I have a thread literally talking about the Black murder rates, broken down by states and I get down to the local levels. What I'm seeing out of many posters is anger and frustration at Black people as a whole. I'm not seeing "the truth". I'm just seeing anger.

No you haven't proven me wrong. You haven't proven that anything I've said regarding Pittsburgh or Milwaukee was wrong.

And yes, I do have a problem with individuals complaining about Blacks as a whole. You have a problem with me making criticisms regarding Pittsburgh. Well, now you know how I feel as a Black person when I have to read people complaining about Black people.

And the truth is, the only thing I can do is obey the law, work hard, and stay away from the ghettos.

By the way, my father is from Milwaukee, born and raised. He's told me plenty of Milwaukee. I've been to Milwaukee myself, so don't think I'm just talking out of my rear end.
People certainly have a right to anger and frustration when the same demographic is committing the majority of violent crime, which is the truth.

You said you hear things. Why don’t you visit Pittsburgh and Milwaukee to see for yourself?

Quite the assumption, I simply said you hear things about Pittsburgh but don’t visit to see for yourself.

If you don’t want to hear about it you should do something about it so the murder rates aren’t so high.

I know I know. Continue to throw your hands up in the air and complain versus doing something about the huge amount of violent crime being committed.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
Grade school performance is going to have to go up first. It has to start there. Then high school performance, then college, and on down the line.
Bingo

Old 08-18-2022, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat lou View Post
I don't disagree with you on that. Bad schools = bad life.

This is where I am coming from. I read alot of posts on city-data.com, many involve complaining about Black people. I notice some people speak as if the majority of Black Americans they run into are hood rats. That doesn't reflect my experiences. I start to wonder if some Black populations are doing better than others. I start thinking that some cities might be better for Black people than other cities.

Old 08-18-2022, 08:49 PM

Quote:
People certainly have a right to anger and frustration when the same demographic is committing the majority of violent crime, which is the truth.

You said you hear things. Why don’t you visit Pittsburgh and Milwaukee to see for yourself?

Quite the assumption, I simply said you hear things about Pittsburgh but don’t visit to see for yourself.

If you don’t want to hear about it you should do something about it so the murder rates aren’t so high.

I know I know. Continue to throw your hands up in the air and complain versus doing something about the huge amount of violent crime being committed.
What do you expect me to do about murder rates?

I've been to Milwaukee. Again, what do you know about Pittsburgh's Black population vis a vis cities like Atlanta and Charlotte, that I wouldn't know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh