Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-13-2020, 09:30 AM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PghYinzer View Post
I view it as progress. It may be some sort of fumbling progress but its progress. For my friends in Philly who are still deep in the "red" (as they should be) they see it as movement towards getting back to a version of normal and they are jealous as they are not even moving at this point. Its 97% mental for me, 3% change in what I can/will do.
I agree. The yellow phase seems like a good way to get more people back to work with having limited risk at cases spiking out of control too much. In Philly it's probably going to be until mid-June before they can get to the yellow phase at the rate they're going. While little will change for me as we go from red to yellow too, it will be nice to basically be able to see a couple friends again I haven't in awhile.

Last edited by bradjl2009; 05-13-2020 at 09:55 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2020, 10:34 AM

32,620 posts, read 77,632,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Perhaps more people plan on defying the “fuhrer”?
I may or may not agree with Gov. Wolf's policies/procedures, but can we please stop drawing comparisons between the Wolf Administration and the Hitler Regime? This isn't directed just at you specifically, but I've seen a ton of people on Facebook calling him "the fuhrer"; "Adolf Wolf"; etc.

I'm not even Jewish and find it incredibly offensive that someone would equate what Anne Frank went through in that attic during the Holocaust to not being able to eat at a restaurant; get a hair cut; and/or take a minimal pay cut through unemployment for a few months. The sacrifices we've been asked to make as Americans these past few months PALE in comparison to what prior generations sacrificed for us, and they CERTAINLY pale in comparison to being tortured and sent to a gas chamber just for being "different".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knepper3 View Post
As usual the guidelines are vague. Things can change, you can have gatherings of up to 25 people. All retail can reopen, delivery/curbside is preferred. That means not required so I guess if you can reopen and follow CDC guidelines you can have people in stores. I mean Target has not had issues this whole time so as long as retail has room to social distance they likely can reopen as normal.
True. We limit our trips outside the home besides work (and BeanThru in Bellevue, which we just discovered, for coffee!) to just Target once per week and ALDI once every other week. We used to spend our weekends browsing thrifts shops; hitting up flea markets and garage sales; donating items to Goodwill; walking around a mall or busy city parks for exercise; dining IN restaurants for breakfast, lunch, or dinner; etc. Now we've learned to get better acquainted with Disney+, Hulu, Netflix, and Amazon Prime Video.

We've had zero issues at Target or ALDI during any of our visits, so I'm not sure why we couldn't go to a Goodwill Store or Best Buy or a mom-and-pop boutique in Sewickley or Lawrenceville as long as we wore masks and kept socially distanced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
To working folks with kids, even those who have to work from home, the opening of day care centers and the implication that having a babysitter at your house is now possible / appropriate is a huge deal. The relaxing of restrictions on gatherings is a huge deal. I agree with the rest of your assessment, though, and most retail / consumer facing businesses aren't magically going to be busy or turning a lot more revenue than previous. I expect vehicle and foot traffic to further increase. That said, I noticed a marked increase in vehicle traffic in the city around May 1 or so.
Oh believe me I know. My one colleague has had to burn through all of her PTO because her day care has been closed, and while the county workers in our building have been home with pay for two months it's still business as usual for city workers. Thankfully she has a relative who also works for the city that was also able to burn through all of her time to partially care for her children, too, so my colleague could come into work twice per week. My colleague will now go unpaid starting next week because her day care is NOT reopening on 05/18. I feel so badly for essential workers who are stuck without child care and have to burn through all their PTO while the non-essentials can sit at home and get paid without using their PTO.

I would say Monday, May 4 is when I noticed an increase of traffic on the roadways and had a more difficult time finding parking near my Downtown office. It's like the "Wolf can't tell me what to do so don't tread on me" crowd largely picked May 4 as the day to go back to work whether or not they were actually allowed to do so.

I expect most non-essential retailers that DO open on Friday won't have nearly the amount of foot traffic they did prior to the pandemic, as most people will continue to order for curbside pick-up; will order from that retailer's web site for delivery to their homes; or will just go on Amazon. People like me who literally just love spending an hour prancing around Best Buy to get ideas on things will be a rarity.

Quote:
I view it as progress. It may be some sort of fumbling progress but its progress. For my friends in Philly who are still deep in the "red" (as they should be) they see it as movement towards getting back to a version of normal and they are jealous as they are not even moving at this point. Its 97% mental for me, 3% change in what I can/will do.
Yeah. My parents live in Luzerne County, which has about the same number of deaths as Allegheny County despite having 1/4 the population. I don't foresee them going into yellow phase until 05/29 at the earliest most likely, and I wouldn't expect Philadelphia to be yellow until at least early-June if not mid-June. By mid-June Allegheny County could potentially even be in green phase if we keep to our typical ~20 new cases per day or less.

Psychologically knowing you're one step closer to "freedom" is definitely a good feeling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
I agree. The yellow phase seems like a good way to get more people back to work with having limited risk at cases spiking out of control too much. In Philly it's probably going to be until mid-June before they can get to the yellow phase at the rate they're going. While little will change for me as we go from red to yellow too, it will be nice to basically be able to see a couple friends again I haven't in awhile.
Yeah. Psychologically this is a plus for sure. I just think some people think Friday 05/15 is going to be just like February 2020 in Allegheny County. I wouldn't expect things to be "normal" to that extent for a very long time yet.

Old 05-13-2020, 10:48 AM

41,016 posts, read 18,218,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityRising View Post
I may or may not agree with Gov. Wolf's policies/procedures, but can we please stop drawing comparisons between the Wolf Administration and the Hitler Regime? This isn't directed just at you specifically, but I've seen a ton of people on Facebook calling him "the fuhrer"; "Adolf Wolf"; etc.

I'm not even Jewish and find it incredibly offensive that someone would equate what Anne Frank went through in that attic during the Holocaust to not being able to eat at a restaurant; get a hair cut; and/or take a minimal pay cut through unemployment for a few months. The sacrifices we've been asked to make as Americans these past few months PALE in comparison to what prior generations sacrificed for us, and they CERTAINLY pale in comparison to being tortured and sent to a gas chamber just for being "different".

I would say Monday, May 4 is when I noticed an increase of traffic on the roadways and had a more difficult time finding parking near my Downtown office. It's like the "Wolf can't tell me what to do so don't tread on me" crowd largely picked May 4 as the day to go back to work whether or not they were actually allowed to do so.

I expect most non-essential retailers that DO open on Friday won't have nearly the amount of foot traffic they did prior to the pandemic, as most people will continue to order for curbside pick-up; will order from that retailer's web site for delivery to their homes; or will just go on Amazon. People like me who literally just love spending an hour prancing around Best Buy to get ideas on things will be a rarity.
Relax, I put it in quotes for just that reason. I certainly don’t think it’s anywhere near what you’re describing.

I expect plenty of foot traffic. I also more and more places to open whether they’re allowed to or not across the state/country.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:14 AM

159 posts, read 172,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
I also more and more places to open whether they’re allowed to or not across the state/country.

I really hope you are correct.

Old 05-13-2020, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLawMan View Post
I know I’m correct in one area where I have relatives to the north of Pittsburgh, if their county isn’t opened within the next 2 weeks...but I definitely expect more businesses to open before that.

Last edited by erieguy; 05-13-2020 at 11:29 AM..

Old 05-13-2020, 11:31 AM

3,110 posts, read 2,919,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bradjl2009 View Post
My weekly Zoom happy hour(s) on Friday night may now possibly have a few of us hanging out on my deck here in Pgh, while the others are at home in Eastern PA.

Old 05-13-2020, 12:48 PM

6,327 posts, read 9,157,682 times
Quote:
My weekly Zoom happy hour(s) on Friday night may now possibly have a few of us hanging out on my deck here in Pgh, while the others are at home in Eastern PA.
Yeah I'm planning on going to a friend's apartment Saturday night myself. It'll only be three of us at most, but it will be nice to go out on a Saturday night for the first time in 2 months.

Also as an aside with the traffic comments around the start of the month, that's when all construction was allowed to resume, so it makes sense that a lot of those small and mid sized projects that were put on hold resumed the 4th.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLawMan View Post
Supreme Court ruled against Wisconsin governor so things will be opening up. Minnesota governor was getting pressure and announced lockdown lifted May 18 and bars and saloons to reopen June 1. More states will follow suit or people will just defy orders.

Old 05-13-2020, 07:59 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 25,987,872 times
Meanwhile in Georgia and Florida they are opening everything up and cases are still dropping like a rock. You gotta love the far left running everything so we run ourselves into the ground for nothing. I am really tired of our left fear driven media destroying our way of life.

https://news.yahoo.com/coronavirus-c...153633256.html

Texas? They have had enough down there as well. We really need to stop the media from clouding judgement. Heck they even are running Trump as he just passed it onto states to run things. Glad some states are taking care of business.

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/poli...ealth-message/

Just in PA alone there is going to be well over a billion dollar loss in the restaurant industry alone. Wow, are we overreacting or what. We will pay for this for at least a decade. Geez!

Last edited by gg; 05-13-2020 at 08:08 PM..

Old 05-13-2020, 08:06 PM

Those states aren’t guided by the weak and spiteful. It’s booming down here in Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh