Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2020, 02:58 PM

41,016 posts, read 18,264,955 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
The total number of deaths over a seven-day period has been above 10,000 for around a month now. Right now it stands at 12,563

I really don't want to get in a political pissing match, but the Democrats didn't need a recession to defeat Trump, and if destroying the economy was actually their top priority they wouldn't be making good-faith efforts to continue to pass economic stimulus packages.

Not sure what this has to do with anything. Regardless, we're in a general market failure right now, and we'll have Hoovervilles and the like if we don't vigorously intervene in the economy. Even the GOP realizes this, which is why you saw a lot things in the CARES Act McConnell wouldn't have touched with a ten-foot-pole a month earlier - and why some Republicans now are straight-up suggesting the government just pay the salaries of workers up to a certain threshold for the duration of the crisis.

The serology data from NYC shows pretty conclusively that the death rate in the U.S. from COVID-19 really is in the range of 1% - which means it's about twice as deadly as the Hong Kong Flu. It also appears to be much, much more infectious. So it's not 100% analogous.

I really think the leaders of the world didn't have a choice in how they reacted. I mean, things like restaurant attendance collapsed by 90% even prior to any official government action. Airline travel collapsed all on its own as well. We were going to have a steep, steep recession regardless of what action was taken. I tend to believe if the economy is trashed regardless, it's best to focus on saving lives. That doesn't mean keeping everything locked down until a vaccine is available, but it does mean that we can't fully ease up until we have a robust testing system and the ability to trace contacts when community transmission occurs.
How many total virus deaths are there right now?

Did you think H was going to win, too? Did you wager or are wagering anything on Biden winning before, during, or after the pandemic?

The Dems have no choice but to approve packages, however, they’re doing it as long as planned parenthood, immigration, raises, etc...., are agreed to.

If the Dems want to lock the country down as much as they possibly can, what other options are there besides handing out “free stuff”?

Last edited by erieguy; 05-08-2020 at 03:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2020, 03:01 PM

5 posts, read 1,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
Those aren't good numbers, but that 20K deaths is for the state not the city. That works out to ~0.1% of the population dying which is still much higher than 0.05% and certainly one should clarify what fatality rate means (the 0.1% is for total population of NYS so far and not just for people who have contracted the virus since certainly not every person in NYS has contracted the virus). It also bears to mention that the fatality rate at ~0.1% for the total NYS population so far is the result after a pretty thorough and long lockdown with many other measures put in place which isn't indicative of what would have happened had no measures or less far-reaching measures had been put to place.

Then again, though, one has to consider if people who die are ever really dead or if they are with us forever in our hearts. That line of argument nets you a stellar 100% survival rate.
I'm getting those numbers from the NYC health department, albeit, it includes probable cases as well. If you omit probable cases, 0.17% of NYC residents have died.

The (case) fatality rate is #deaths/#infections. Preliminary antibody tests show that ~20% of NYers have/had the virus, so multiple the stated 0.23% (or 0.17%) by ~5 to get the fatality rate.

Also, I am 98.43% sure that if a person dies, then they are really dead.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:49 PM

1,952 posts, read 1,137,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grout456 View Post

Ah, death is just a state of mind.

Old 05-08-2020, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grout456 View Post
I'm getting those numbers from the NYC health department, albeit, it includes probable cases as well. If you omit probable cases, 0.17% of NYC residents have died.

The (case) fatality rate is #deaths/#infections. Preliminary antibody tests show that ~20% of NYers have/had the virus, so multiple the stated 0.23% (or 0.17%) by ~5 to get the fatality rate.

Hey, those numbers are way too truthful, but personally, I find think the truth quite refreshing.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:04 PM

37,267 posts, read 39,557,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Yep, but you referenced here.

Except it wasn’t an extreme rarity to have minimal or no contact purchase prior to the pandemic, only in your mind do you think it was.

They simply set up the deal online and may or may not care to test drive the car. Even the person here that you’ve referenced said they can check the car out before taking it, however, they don’t have to have contact with anyone. One can pull into the dealership and the car will be sitting there ready to be test driven or not.

Lmao. I’m test driving the car.
I did reference here, because even in the extremely small sample space of this topic in the Pittsburgh C-D forum, you still had a person chime in about how purchasing a vehicle has gotten easier. Outside of that limited space, there are other accounts like on sites like Jalopnik or car-focused forums that understandably list more accounts of the changed experience. It's interesting that you want to say this is just in my head when the pandemic itself is used as the rationale for doing so.

Right, you're going for a ride in the car--you're not out there riding the dealer. This is part of why this pandemic is interesting, because there's actually trialing of completely no contact sales and test drives.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I did reference here, because even in the extremely small sample space of this topic in the Pittsburgh C-D forum, you still had a person chime in about how purchasing a vehicle has gotten easier. Outside of that limited space, there are other accounts like on sites like Jalopnik or car-focused forums that understandably list more accounts of the changed experience. It's interesting that you want to say this is just in my head when the pandemic itself is used as the rationale for doing so.

Right, you're going for a ride in the car--you're not out there riding the dealer. This is part of why this pandemic is interesting, because there's actually trialing of completely no contact sales and test drives.
Except it’s not just the pandemic doing so. It’s been around for years, you’re just clueless to it.

Lmao. No contact sales and test drives aren’t new. They’ve been part of used and new car dealerships for years. They’re just new to you.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:13 PM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,027,473 times
Quote:
Those aren't good numbers, but that 20K deaths is for the state not the city. That works out to ~0.1% of the population dying which is still much higher than 0.05% and certainly one should clarify what fatality rate means (the 0.1% is for total population of NYS so far and not just for people who have contracted the virus since certainly not every person in NYS has contracted the virus). It also bears to mention that the fatality rate at ~0.1% for the total NYS population so far is the result after a pretty thorough and long lockdown with many other measures put in place which isn't indicative of what would have happened had no measures or less far-reaching measures had been put to place, but other states so far haven't been hit nearly as hard as NYS and the NYC metropolitan area in particular.

Then again, though, one has to consider if people who die are ever really dead or if they are with us forever in our hearts. That line of argument nets you a stellar 100% survival rate.
Ah, but you are forgetting one little detail. That pesky little $13K of money if you say the death was COVID-19. Sure the heads of hospitals are all about medical stuff and not about $$. ha, ha, ha. Yeah, all of a sudden there are no flu deaths reported. Hmmm. Hope someone looks into this BS. Yep, you have a fever and die, you are obviously COVID-19 on your death cert. BOOM $13K.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
What is good for Philadelphia is good for Pittsburgh. They don’t care about this part of the state. If they get money to give out, Pittsburgh will be like the Milton guy in office space when they cut the cake. Everybody else got a piece except him.

Lockdown till mid June in our area I bet. Maybe longer. It depends on how well Philly does. No way they reopen Pittsburgh before Philly. That ain’t happening. Watch and see.
Ummm, Pittsburgh has moved to yellow. How about Philly?

Old 05-08-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Ah, but you are forgetting one little detail. That pesky little $13K of money if you say the death was COVID-19. Sure the heads of hospitals are all about medical stuff and not about $$. ha, ha, ha. Yeah, all of a sudden there are no flu deaths reported. Hmmm. Hope someone looks into this BS. Yep, you have a fever and die, you are obviously COVID-19 on your death cert. BOOM $13K.
Lol, no, probably inaccurate but I can see why that would be an appealing thing to say: https://www.factcheck.org/2020/04/ho...9-death-count/

I live in NYC, and I used to work union film gigs with a lot of older guys. A couple of them died in the last couple of months, and I'm pretty sure their families aren't faking covid-19 for something else. Owner of an old bar we frequented died of it, too. Probably not just a misclassified flu. Come get some and try it out if you want that proof in the pudding.

Old 05-08-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by erieguy View Post
Except it’s not just the pandemic doing so. It’s been around for years, you’re just clueless to it.

Lmao. No contact sales and test drives aren’t new. They’ve been part of used and new car dealerships for years. They’re just new to you.
Completely no contact sales and test drives weren't a rarity before? Are you just pulling things out to try to continue an argument?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh