Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2020, 03:19 PM

3,829 posts, read 1,696,407 times

Advertisements

Looks like Ohio may be the first state to ease restrictions. Governor working on a plan to reopen state economy and schools.

https://www.10tv.com/article/dewine-...lives-2020-apr
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2020, 05:06 AM

3,829 posts, read 1,696,407 times
So what does everybody think what the final impact will be locally? I think the meds will be OK. I expect the colleges in the metro to take a huge hit.

I am worried Pittsburgh is more “exposed” than other cities with its high amount of retail, hospitality and low paying jobs.

I think cities that were growing at a good clip before this event will be hindered a bit, but end up getting on track. Ones that are bubble cities where it is either declining or stagnant could take a bigger long term hit. There are just so many unknowns at this point.

Plus there looks to be 50 different outcomes. States that weather this storm the best and come out of this first will benefit the most. Good PR and probably places where people will invest because of their ability to handle the event and get out of it first.

I worry that PA is going to be in this for a while due to eastern pa. It will keep Pittsburgh and Erie down because of the state being more restricted longer than neighboring ones. The lockdown could uneven the higher education playing field as well.

Old 04-10-2020, 06:03 AM

2,109 posts, read 2,166,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Independentthinking83 View Post
Looks like Ohio may be the first state to ease restrictions. Governor working on a plan to reopen state economy and schools.

https://www.10tv.com/article/dewine-...lives-2020-apr
I’m not sure how the governor announcing they are working on a plan equates to them being the first state to reopen. Gov Wolf is also working on a plan that is “fairly sophisticated”, to use Gov DeWine’s words. I would be shocked if most states aren’t also working on similar plans.

Last edited by WhoIsStanwix?; 04-10-2020 at 06:17 AM..

Old 04-10-2020, 06:45 AM

6,360 posts, read 5,075,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I’m not sure how the governor announcing they are working on a plan equates to them being the first state to reopen. Gov Wolf is also working on a plan that is “fairly sophisticated”, to use Gov DeWine’s words. I would be shocked if most states aren’t also working on similar plans.
just the coolest name for a guv.

Old 04-10-2020, 07:07 AM

1,653 posts, read 1,589,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoIsStanwix? View Post
I thought the same and I was scratching my head as to how this was even news. But then I thought about it and figured, OK, Republican governor, purple-ish state, he's got people organizing protests, it's just smart politics to mention a plan and keep people aware that you have every intention of moving forward once the numbers support it.

ETA: I mention his politics because Trump and his advisors want to open up the government in May and are starting to really push for it. A Democrat is going to have an easier time with this; a Republican risks being primaried, although their next election isn't for a while.

Last edited by sealie; 04-10-2020 at 07:16 AM..

Old 04-10-2020, 08:43 AM

1,075 posts, read 1,697,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
I think many thousands have had this already. Way more than have been tested. We really need the antibody test and soon.
By testing wastewater, they can estimate how many people within the service area are infected. Unsurprisingly, their results suggest that there are five times as many people infected than official confirmed cases.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/07/...read-covid-19/

Old 04-10-2020, 09:40 AM

Today's dutiful report:

April 10...cases reported from last 16 days, starting with most distant:

45, 25, 61, 46, 25, 35, 31, 63, 57, 76, 53, 37, 47, 31, 39, 29

Old 04-10-2020, 10:20 AM

233 posts, read 137,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Pittsburgh tends to listen for the most part. In poorer parts of the city and surroundings, I don't think they are listening much though. At least from what I have seen.
you'd be surprised on some people in sq hill/Greenfield/oakland/shadyside area that still saying you don't need mask if you are healthy........not to mention how many people go grocery shopping without any protection...

Old 04-10-2020, 11:09 AM
gg

26,137 posts, read 26,057,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kippy View Post
By testing wastewater, they can estimate how many people within the service area are infected. Unsurprisingly, their results suggest that there are five times as many people infected than official confirmed cases.

https://www.statnews.com/2020/04/07/...read-covid-19/
Yeah, I was thinking a little higher number just from reading, but that makes perfect sense. Shame this thing is so contagious because the death rate is so low if you add in this part of the puzzle, but not nearly low enough to get on with living.

Thanks for posting this.

Old 04-10-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chao View Post
you'd be surprised on some people in sq hill/Greenfield/oakland/shadyside area that still saying you don't need mask if you are healthy........not to mention how many people go grocery shopping without any protection...
well, they are basically stupid, then. Its been said countless of times by various people through mass media, whether Fauci or Dr. Levine or whoever - the mask is not to prevent you getting infected, its to help prevent you from infecting others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Pittsburgh