Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2010, 03:34 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,559 times

Advertisements

According to Recovery.gov...there's about $210B remaining to be spent from ARRA. Considering the latest extension costs $12B...it's a small dent. By freezing the remaining balance and using it strictly for UI and continuing benefits for up to 99 weeks, we would probably have enough to get through a portion of 2012, if necessary. I'm not sure however, if that money is enough to cover a Tier 5. The scope of that might just be too large.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2010, 05:28 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerest View Post
As for jobs, don't count on those either. Say what you will about Obama (no I didn;t vote for him), but he has already created more jobs in under 2 yrs. that GW Bush did in 8!
Tell that to the 3+ million people who have lost their job under Obama. (wait, you technically are...)

I'm not attacking you on that and I hate to turn this into a political discussion...but that was a clever misstatement started by Debbie Wasserman-Schultz and is patently false. And I quite frankly find that claim absolutely revolting as an unemployed person. Why? Because what they're trying to do is lie in order to take heat off of current leadership, under Obama, by claiming he has done more for job creation in one year than in the entire decade. It makes the unemployed look like absolute lazy fools because they insist the jobs are there for the taking...but they're actually not. We're the ones who are unemployed...we know how difficult it has been to find work and so we should be the ones who know better.

What this typical lying Washington politician is actually spewing is that, there have been more jobs added under Obama in 2010 then the total number of jobs added under 8 years of Bush. False. Why? Because between 2003-2007 (under Bush) alone, there were 8 million jobs added. Adding more than 8 million jobs in 2010...puts each and every one of us back to work! What Debbie does is take the number of jobs added in the first 3 months of 2010 and says, if that pace continues (which BTW, it didn't), there will be a little over 2M jobs created in 2010. She then uses the NET jobs created under Bush (subtract jobs created with jobs lost) and since that number is smaller than the supposed 2010 Obama jobs added...she stupidly made that claim that Obama added more jobs in one year than in 8 years of Bush.

In addition...500K of those Obama jobs were temporary census jobs that have already been wiped out. Those should not count. The bottom line is that Obama has not done nearly enough for private sector job growth, even after adding nearly $3 trillion to our deficit. It's embarrassing...democrats have been just as bad, if not worse, than the corrupt GOP.

Old 11-20-2010, 11:52 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,765,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanayamookie View Post
GCharlotte,
I apologize for misunderstanding your post. I guess the " lol" rubbed me the wrong way as I didn't see my situation as funny and it seemed as though you were saying that only 3 and 4 were justifiable because they affect you and that somehow it would be wrong for a Tier 5 to be implemented. So, I apoologize.....guess we all get stressed about this kind of thing. I also read a couple articles that intimated that Tier 5 was on the table, which is what prompted my question. I am conservative for the most part as well, but what I don't understand is how the papers are saying that the Republicans are blocking this when they are not even in power until January. (I read an article stating they are at fault, but it doesn't specify how they are responsible). Maybe someone can clarify. I'm really asking this question because I'd like to understand, not to start a political discussion. I didn't realize they had that much power. From what I understand, it's not that they were against extending unemployment. The question was how to pay for it and they were suggesting using unspent stimulus money. Sounded reasonable to me. My assumption is that a good number of Democrats joined against this in order for it not to pass.
We are all under stress for this. It's understandable. Except for a couple of people that make fly-bys on the this thread we're all pretty much in the same boat with the same feelings. And all pretty much trying to support each other.

That's the reason I jumped in. The current posters on the thread all mean well and it's easy to become jaded.

It doesn't help that we've all been whipsawed between tiers with the overpayments, repayments and refunds and tier adjustments. And the holidays doesn't make the stress less, that's for sure.

Old 11-21-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Tell that to the 3+ million people who have lost their job under Obama. (wait, you technically are...)
I'm not going to argue the politics either but I will state my feelings. First, I DIRECTLY or as close to it lost my job because of Obama because I was working for an elected official that got the boot due to straight ticket voting. I'm sure I'm in the ultra minority on that though

Basically I'm unhappy with the Republicans that have more than once blocked funding (though it has not affected me directly) because they say the people have sent them a mandate not to fund something without cutting elsewhere. Then they ask for a tax break that if the "people" were so intent on having, why have it expire in the first place?

As far as what the current administration could have done different, that boils down to the healthcare bill. I have run my own business not very well but well enough to know that the uncertainty that the bill would put in business owners minds would stifle job creation. I think it created a "wait and see" condition.

Plus all the time and energy making "the deal" (watch the PBS Frontline special on it). It was a bad signal to make that the highest priority. Jobs should have been #1 with healthcare more a thoughtful process than the dealmaking that was done. If that would have been the case then I think we'd be in better shape economy wise and the dems would still have control of the house.

Old 11-21-2010, 10:13 AM

56 posts, read 76,417 times
I have a question. Last week, my payment went down about $70 from my previous payments. I was assuming that I was near the end of my EB since I was put into the middile of it after the big mix up earlier with the payments being made that should not have. Since my payment was less last week I just assumed that was my last payment. But today, it let me file my weekly certification and took it. Anyone had this happen to them? I didn't expect a check this week but it would be a blessing.. Thanks to all......

Old 11-21-2010, 11:32 AM

44 posts, read 63,779 times
Quote:
You will be saying "Tier 5" at some point....I didn't think so either. You sound righteous.....go ahead with that and good luck.
Sorry, I'm not sure how that post came about as righteous, it wasn't intended to be. I may end up in Tier 5, if it becomes available, right now prospects look dim & I'm hoping that Tier 3 will be available because Tier 2 will run out before I know it. I need it because I don't qualify for anything else - I thought I was doing the right thing by saving for retirement but having a 401(k) keeps me from other help, meanwhile I'm having to use that money now...

Old 11-21-2010, 01:24 PM

656 posts, read 1,139,860 times
Quote:
KC Carolina,
Thank you for your response. You are always a big help. I am hopeful that this state position will come through and I also just finished taking a course, so that may lead to something as well. I'm hopeful. Guess I'll be out of luck otherwise. Thanks again.
(Your welcome) sorry I'm not of more help.
I'm just floating on EB right now and finished up my classes Nov 16th.
I have hopes of a job at the VA Hosp. starting in late January, but would hope to find something a little closer and better pay before then.
However I'm very thankful for that job.

I'll be sure to post anything I hear concerning the deadline news asap!

Old 11-21-2010, 01:31 PM

23 posts, read 40,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelp View Post
Sorry, I'm not sure how that post came about as righteous, it wasn't intended to be. I may end up in Tier 5, if it becomes available, right now prospects look dim & I'm hoping that Tier 3 will be available because Tier 2 will run out before I know it. I need it because I don't qualify for anything else - I thought I was doing the right thing by saving for retirement but having a 401(k) keeps me from other help, meanwhile I'm having to use that money now...
jmichaelp,
I hope you saw my apology. I inadventently addressed it to GCharlotte because I saw his reply to my comment. I am truly sorry for misunderstanding you. I'm also sorry that you are having to use your 401K. All of this stinks. Here is my apology to you, in case you didn't see it. GCharlotte, sorry for the mix-up.
I apologize for misunderstanding your post. I guess the " lol" rubbed me the wrong way as I didn't see my situation as funny and it seemed as though you were saying that only 3 and 4 were justifiable because they affect you and that somehow it would be wrong for a Tier 5 to be implemented. So, I apoologize.....guess we all get stressed about this kind of thing. I also read a couple articles that intimated that Tier 5 was on the table, which is what prompted my question. I am conservative for the most part as well, but what I don't understand is how the papers are saying that the Republicans are blocking this when they are not even in power until January. (I read an article stating they are at fault, but it doesn't specify how they are responsible). Maybe someone can clarify. I'm really asking this question because I'd like to understand, not to start a political discussion. I didn't realize they had that much power. From what I understand, it's not that they were against extending unemployment. The question was how to pay for it and they were suggesting using unspent stimulus money. Sounded reasonable to me. My assumption is that a good number of Democrats joined against this in order for it not to pass.

Old 11-22-2010, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 3,623 times
Hi, I went into the unemployment office today and spoke with a counsler i guess you can call them, about my unemployment benefits. My benefits became exhausted about a month ago. I have gone through all four tiers and the status says "benefits exhaused". I continued to file, in the hopes I would receive payment. No payment has been made to my account. The guy I spoke to saw the past 6 weeks that I have filed, got me to fill out 6 weeks of paper forms and said that he has started the process of the state benefits. He said that he could not promise anything, but didnt see anything that would hold up receiving my benefits. He told me to check back on Wendsday and the money should be in my account.

But when I logged onto my account tonight, the status has not gone back to "active"..still says "benefits exhausted". Does anyone know or have any idea what exactly is going on with my claim. Do you think that I will be approved for the state benefits and the money will become avaliable in my account on Wendsday?

Old 11-22-2010, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bk0782 View Post
Hi, I went into the unemployment office today and spoke with a counsler i guess you can call them, about my unemployment benefits. My benefits became exhausted about a month ago. I have gone through all four tiers and the status says "benefits exhaused". I continued to file, in the hopes I would receive payment. No payment has been made to my account. The guy I spoke to saw the past 6 weeks that I have filed, got me to fill out 6 weeks of paper forms and said that he has started the process of the state benefits. He said that he could not promise anything, but didnt see anything that would hold up receiving my benefits. He told me to check back on Wendsday and the money should be in my account.

But when I logged onto my account tonight, the status has not gone back to "active"..still says "benefits exhausted". Does anyone know or have any idea what exactly is going on with my claim. Do you think that I will be approved for the state benefits and the money will become avaliable in my account on Wendsday?
I haven't hit EB so I can't speak from experience but the dreaded "benefits exhausted" message seems to stick around right until you hit the next level so try not to panic. I think they do things in batches so I don't see a way to know until it actually hits.

On another note, I would think positive and refer to them as the employment office instead of the unemployment office

Maybe that will generate some good karma. Good luck with your claim and let us know how it turns out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina