Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2010, 08:31 PM

18 posts, read 29,987 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
EB has never stopped (while our state is triggered on)
So if the EUC08 extension doesn't pass on Nov 30th, then you and I and all of the others should still get our EB until it runs out.
Only thing that would change that is a HUGE drop in our states unemployment numbers and it triggers off of the EB program, or if there's something new they'll throw on all of us concerning EB when the
Nov. 30th date rolls around.
Thanks KC!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2010, 11:55 PM

776 posts, read 1,685,707 times
As I stated prior...our government uses the U3 (I think that's it) unemployment rate to set their "triggers" for EB and other programs, which quite frankly, is completely misguided.

The U3 rate can lower because unemployed persons have returned to the workforce...and that would be a great thing. However, in this economic environment, some unemployed persons are returning to the workforce while alot more are giving up and "falling off the U3 unemployment rolls". This means that a decrease in our U3 unemployment rate wouldn't necessarily be a good thing since alot of people are just giving up looking for work.

The government should be using the U6 rate when setting triggers for EB, which tracks those unemployed persons actively seeking work AND those who have just given up. That rate is somewhere around 18% nationally, which is pretty crazy.

So it's quite possible we could lose our EB at some point because NC's unemployment rate dips below the trigger...and the reason for the dip might be because people are so disgruntled with their job search that they've given up. That's not exactly fair, if you ask me.

Old 11-14-2010, 06:50 AM

656 posts, read 1,140,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
As I stated prior...our government uses the U3 (I think that's it) unemployment rate to set their "triggers" for EB and other programs, which quite frankly, is completely misguided.

The U3 rate can lower because unemployed persons have returned to the workforce...and that would be a great thing. However, in this economic environment, some unemployed persons are returning to the workforce while alot more are giving up and "falling off the U3 unemployment rolls". This means that a decrease in our U3 unemployment rate wouldn't necessarily be a good thing since alot of people are just giving up looking for work.

The government should be using the U6 rate when setting triggers for EB, which tracks those unemployed persons actively seeking work AND those who have just given up. That rate is somewhere around 18% nationally, which is pretty crazy.

So it's quite possible we could lose our EB at some point because NC's unemployment rate dips below the trigger...and the reason for the dip might be because people are so disgruntled with their job search that they've given up. That's not exactly fair, if you ask me.
Are you up @ 2 am with the bebe?> ha!
No, it's more than unfair and I fear that could happen through the holidays!
I honestly have little to no trust for our current system.
I'm hoping the deadline coming up doesn't throw a huge wrench in continous flow of benefits and that we can get online to the site ect.....
I'm on EB now for 1 week, haven't gotten the review letter yet, I'm guessing it'll be sometime this week.
Unusual thing though, I've bene able to log on and certify this time every Sunday lately... today , it says the sites down....?
Have you certified yet?

Old 11-14-2010, 08:00 AM

330 posts, read 461,325 times
the site is under maintenance.
maybe some of the IT guys they brought in are doing something.

Old 11-14-2010, 03:57 PM

656 posts, read 1,140,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlincoln View Post
the site is under maintenance.
maybe some of the IT guys they brought in are doing something.
Or..... maybe they're not ?> lol!
well I finally got on at 11 am

Old 11-15-2010, 10:24 AM

330 posts, read 461,325 times
it would seem the govt changed the "seasonal adjustment" from last October in order to get last week's meager job increases.
from businessinsider.com:

I was sitting in London when the employment numbers came out last Friday, and I didn't have time to really get into the data. I did send you Lacy Hunt's quick analysis as to why it was weaker than it appeared, but something else did not seem right. I follow a few people who are pretty good at predicting the employment numbers (like Philippa Dunne of The Liscio Report). Most were expecting numbers in the 60,000 range. Most unusual for there to be such a big miss from these guys. I read the press release and saw nothing to raise my eyebrows. And then Alan Abelson in Barron's gave us the following, after reciting the headline number:

"Happily, the always astute Stephanie Pomboy of MacroMavens provided a quickie explanation:

" 'The seasonal bar which the payroll data must jump was (inexplicably and dramatically) lowered from prior Octobers.

" 'Thus, in October 2009, the BLS set the bar at 870,000 jobs, similar to the 840,000 it anticipated in October 2008. This year, by contrast, it lowered the bar to 768,000. Mumbo, jumbo, payrolls presented "an upside surprise" of 100,000.'

"According to John Williams at Shadow Government Statistics, the BLS' fiddling with the figures via what he calls 'seasonal-factor games' actually created 200,000 phantom jobs last month. John cites such finagling as the reason his prediction of an October decline and a rise in the jobless rate was wrong. It also explains why seasonally adjusted payrolls were revised upward by 110,000 in September, including 56,000 in August."

In the opinion of your humble analyst, if they are going to make such changes, they should be announced up-front or noted prominently in the press release. People (foolishly) trade on these numbers and money is made and lost. This is serious stuff.

Old 11-15-2010, 02:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,414 times
my benefits are exhausted as of today11/15/10 and its the end of my 4th teir ....is there any more extensions cause theres still no jobs here in my town at all and im worried badly

Old 11-15-2010, 02:33 PM

30 posts, read 49,914 times
catching up on posts been awhile since I was here...

JDMICH -- make sure your DH gets signed up for military disability since they are kicking him out due to medical... hang in there!!! my DH has chronic heart problems too - appeared out of the blue in 2008 (at 39 years old)... lots his job & here we are... unfortunately, he hadn't been with the company/state long enough to draw disablity from them... it's been a roller-coaster ride for sure... he finally found a part-time every other weekend job and praying something else comes along or he can get more hours before benefits end completely

Old 11-15-2010, 02:59 PM

776 posts, read 1,685,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffyount76 View Post
my benefits are exhausted as of today11/15/10 and its the end of my 4th teir ....is there any more extensions cause theres still no jobs here in my town at all and im worried badly
The best thing you can do is call and see if you qualify for EB. If you got the 4 tiers and don't have any previous appeals or issues with your claim, you should qualify for EB.

Old 11-15-2010, 04:11 PM

193 posts, read 286,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiles93 View Post
catching up on posts been awhile since I was here...

JDMICH -- make sure your DH gets signed up for military disability since they are kicking him out due to medical... hang in there!!! my DH has chronic heart problems too - appeared out of the blue in 2008 (at 39 years old)... lots his job & here we are... unfortunately, he hadn't been with the company/state long enough to draw disablity from them... it's been a roller-coaster ride for sure... he finally found a part-time every other weekend job and praying something else comes along or he can get more hours before benefits end completely

Thanks! Sorry to hear about your DH.

I've been kicking mine everyday to fill out all the paperwork. Its a big mess. But he will. They have everything so screwed up.

My son went to the childrens hospital.. he has craniostensosis but might not need surgery.. We gotta go back on 12/6 to meet with plastic surgeons, neuro surgeons, genetic docs, etc. It's crazy but they just wanna make sure which is fine with me.

Haven't gotten any underpayment money yet. Its been 2 weeks. I called them last week to ask about whY I hadn't been called back at least and she looked in the notes and said "Well, they are still working on it."

I wish I could scream at them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina