Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 03:07 PM

49 posts, read 63,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidoffafter50 View Post
BRAVO! BRAVO! I am confident we will see MORE of this reporting and the TRUTH moving forward!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 03:16 PM

169 posts, read 315,060 times
Default I also agree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post
formerRepublican, you might want to mention to your Representative that we are asking for the 20 weeks that the Federal government has agreed to extend, not a blanket long term unemployment agenda. We were cut off without notice which put us in a difficult situation.

As many of you know, Republicans in Congress are trying to pull back this EB money and allow states to choose whether to give it top the people or use it for other programs that they feel will fix the unemployment problem.

We're talking about a short term fix here so the moral quandry that your Rep. is facing really doesn't come into play with this issue.
Like, formerrepublican, which in and of itself is something embarrassing to admit, I have been thinking about EB benefits as well.

I think the media's perception of the business of state officials translates to the public in an influential way. I think that the EB troubles in North Carolina have been and will continue to echo around our country as unemployment rises, and nothing is done to rebuild the infrastructure of the U.S.

This is just the beginning. However, I do see a reinstatement of the benefits in North Carolina. Gov Purdue is really gambling with her political career in this "standoff"(she must know this). Even if she gets elected next term, she will be butting heads with the GOP the whole time, and have proven herself an undiplomatic leader. It's a lose-lose for her. If EB is not restored than it turns out to be a lose-lose for everyone. Unemployment isn't a "go-away" problem it is an epidemic that grows worse by the day(actual unemployment numbers are staggering vs. graduation rates, hiring rates, job openings, etc.).

The situation will be rectified if people keep having a voice about it. Political predictions aside, nothing can stop the power of the people.

Especially people who use the power of the media to their advantage. Politicians are media-hogs, and if the media shows them in a poor light they will not get re-elected.

Keep pushing, keep hoping, keep writing,

We need this short term fix. Many people do to survive.
Grassroots efforts need to be what shapes the change for this generation. Politics have always been greasy, but here and now it has become a different beast. Shame on the governor, Shame on the Republican representatives!

Old 05-10-2011, 03:20 PM

169 posts, read 315,060 times
Default Is their a way to post this on purdues facebook

Quote:

Can this article be posted on tillis, berger, and purdues facebook?!

I do not have facebook, would someone do the honors?!

This is the best article I have seen....bravo

Seriously, that article was excellent.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:21 PM

187 posts, read 259,346 times
Quote:
The truth is coming out here, and we all hope and pray that the "leaders" of our state can take a few moments out of their "extremely busy schedules" to try to comprehend on what exactly is happening here, due to sheer ignorance of a very serious situation.... Thank you, laidoffafter50 and all of you, for your continued support. Stay proactive on the issue and continue to call and e-mail endlessly, no matter what... Do Not Lose Your Enthusiasm... Know that we WILL SEE OUR BENEFITS RESTORED, AND WE WILL ALL FIGHT TO MAKE SURE THIS HAPPENS....

Old 05-10-2011, 03:25 PM

49 posts, read 63,188 times
Story posted on Perdue's wall on fb...

Update... the post was removed.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:30 PM

187 posts, read 259,346 times
Good Job, infowanted. We will all appreciate it if you can do the same on Tillis and Berger's Facebook wall. Thank you and all of our members here for their continuation in fighting for our EB benefits. All of us must keep up our hard work for this situation...

Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 PM

244 posts, read 311,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3973 View Post
Good Job, infowanted. We will all appreciate it if you can do the same on Tillis and Berger's Facebook wall. Thank you and all of our members here for their continuation in fighting for our EB benefits. All of us must keep up our hard work for this situation...
It is still on perdue's wall. It's been posted three times so far. Check under most recent to view. Also posted to berger. You must be approved to post on tillis. I'm not his friend.

Old 05-10-2011, 03:46 PM

169 posts, read 204,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formerRepublican View Post
Thanks for all the enthusiasm and good information that you good people have made available. I do not post many messages as I prefer to listen but I have been in touch with legislators and the governor on a consistent basis.

After much thought I believe that our benefits are not going to be restored. I base this on all the comments from officials and from correspondence I have received from my representative. I do not think that the republican leadership and republican representatives have any concern for us and never had any intention of passing legislation to continue benefits. I think the only reason they passed HR383 was that they knew the Governor would veto it.

When this saga first began I immediately e-mailed my representative. His response was that he very much wanted to help us and that the legislature had in fact passed a bill to do just that. He suggested that I contact Gov. Perdue with my concerns as she had vetoed the bill. After the house passed the budget (H200) I again contact my rep. and asked that since this appeared to be a veto proof bill would he now move forward to restore EB. This is his reply:

It seems that when the budget aspect clears there will be some other reason not to restore our benefits.

I will continue to call and write but I am not encouraged.

God Bless you All!

Did you ask him to pass your name/number/resume over to the employer?

Hell, can you/he share this employer with this board?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:50 PM

37 posts, read 42,859 times
Soooo 37,000 of us going to move to Nash County for these 200 jobs?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:52 PM

7 posts, read 8,726 times
Good point. I have not asked but I will. I have live in Nash county most of my life. I look for work continuously. I don't have a clue as to who is talking about but again. I WILL ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina