Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2010, 02:36 PM

7 posts, read 12,922 times

Advertisements

Wait, didn't the temporary extension act of 2010 that was finally passed in the senate add 30 more days to the cutoff? Maybe I'm good. I tried calling them back all afternoon and all the numbers were busy. This is horrible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2010, 03:50 PM

656 posts, read 1,139,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_moyer View Post
Wait, didn't the temporary extension act of 2010 that was finally passed in the senate add 30 more days to the cutoff? Maybe I'm good. I tried calling them back all afternoon and all the numbers were busy. This is horrible.
Yes it did and (IMO)you should be fine.
However I think in all of this 2 day senate delay, it won't be as automatic for those that were on the brink of moving into their next extensions .

The computer system
(probably) wasn't ready for the STOP right at the end of February to only restart everything to include the 30 days April date.

Once It did, it may have made filing online for your next tier come to a sudden halt..?
Could make sense why you have to file now by mail.
Just an (Uneducated guess)

Old 03-04-2010, 04:53 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KC~Carolina View Post
ok, so I'm not risking losing my new years benefits if I work and say make $600.00 in 6 days..? I will still be continuing my fulltime job search.

I'd claim most of it one week(until saturday at midnight) and then the rest the next week.
Now, my benefit amount is currently under $200.00 weekly, so would they just hold back my checks each week i certify until I'm (paid up) ?

2nd question:
How do employers report your quarterly earnings?
All in one lump sum for the quarter, or is it broken down into weeks?

Just curious, since I have 8 previous days part time in January with this same employer that I'm hoping to get this 6 day job with..
(Thanks a million!)

No, you're not risking losing your benefits. If that job is not intended to be your new full-time employment, but rather is a "side job" and you're still searching for full-time employment, then you just have to report the earnings you make in that job when you certify for unemployment. Now, don't misunderstand. You cannot make a living on "side jobs and supplemental unemployment", if you will. Unemployment is not designed to supplement someone's part-time employment for years and years. A part time side job (and reporting those earnings) is ok as long as you're continuing to search for full-time employment to replace your lost full time employment, and will then stop collecting unemployment once you do find that full time job.

You can earn 20% of your weekly benefit amount each week (more in some cases, but not in yours I'm sure) and it won't affect your benefits. Anything over that is deducted dollar for dollar from your weekly benefit amount. So if you earn more than what unemployment would pay, yes, the money just stays there for that week and essentially extends by one or two weeks (however many weeks you don't get paid) the number of weeks that particular program (regular UI, EUC, EB, etc) is available to you.

Employers report earnings in a lump sum quarterly amount.

Old 03-04-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frrrunkis! View Post
Ahh...yet it would still totally confuse 9 out of 10 people, who will now tie up the NCESC's phone lines asking the same question..."I got this monetary determination letter saying I'm eligible for tier 2 benefits now...so is that what I'm getting now?"

Old 03-04-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
PS also IF i should qualify is there a formula to figure out how many weeks etc??? i googled it (for what its worth) and what i found APPEARED to say the # of weeks for tier 3 was 20 (or 78% of the ORIGINAL claim weeks---- which was 26 i think, so itd still be 20 weeks for Tier 3?) Is that right?? and is Tier 4 based on a % or is it just a set 6 weeks???

and when is the extra tier 2 week squeezed in???

ALSO i have NOT gotten any letter (i assume that if i am eligible, i wont get a letter since congress will pass it last minute... as expected) so do I need to call ESC after the new bill passes??? or should the system AUTOMATICALLY roll me over into the extra tier 2 week, tier 3, etc... after me 2nd year claim ends at the end of April?
Tier 3 is essentially available to every state, and is UP TO 13 weeks...it's 50% of your original claim duration. So if your UI claim set for 26 weeks, your Tier 3 would be 13 weeks, max. If your UI claim set for 18 weeks, your Tier 3 would be 9 weeks. Etc.

Tier 4 is available to only those states whose unemployment rates are at 8.5% or greater. Again, this is UP TO 6 weeks, depending on the duration of your regular UI.

Tier 2 would be paid while receiving Tier 2 benefits, OR, if someone is currently in Tier 3, it's paid at the end of the Tier 3.

If I were you, I would call your local office after your regular UI ends, but I believe the pull forward should automatically happen when your regular UI ends. However, at this point they are only running the pull forward programming at the beginning of each month.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I'm glad I found this thread and I'd like to thank all of you for the great info. Unfortunately I'm still unable to figure out what is going on with my benefits. Here's the breakdown:

Benefit Year Start: 8.16.09
Benefit Year End: 8.14.10

I've collected my initial 26 weeks which ended - 2.28.10

When I log into my ESC I get a message that states: "Our records indicate that your benefits are exhausted for the benefit year ending 8/14/2010. For further information and job-seeking assistance, please call the Remote Service Center at 1-888-737-0259."

When I called the first time to see if I qualified for an extension they said they had no clue and I haven't received any letters. I called yesterday and they told me to file for the claim online here:

https://www.ncesc1.com/individual/we...applyBegin.asp

I did so and then called back today to see if anything had changed. They told me I shouldn't have filed online and that they had no clue what was going on.

I did the math and a should qualify. Here's the breakdown for that:

High quarter from my base: $14883.31
My total earned: $49050.30

I should easily qualify based on that. There are no stated issues with my account but I can't get an answer about my extended benefits.

Any thoughts?
Two thoughs.

One...If you did not exhaust your regular UI by Feb 20th, at this point the system won't pay you your Tier 1 because our system was programmed with the signed, legislated phase-out date of Feb 28th. Yes, that date was extended by 30 days yesterday, however it will take some re-programming to get that date changed in our system to allow some people's EUC to pay.

Two...I think as a result of the continual programming going on in our system, there are some claims that are simply STUCK after regular UI exhausts and they need a manual transaction to try and get them moved into Tier 1 (IF regular UI was exhausted on or before Feb 20th).

Without looking at your claim I can't see which, if either of these, is the case.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA11 View Post
or do like i did---- there is a smaller office near me, NOT my office that i go to, but they have less phone calls) and if that doesnt work, call the 1-800 line and ask for a supervisor. DONT take I DONT KNOW for an answer, keep asking for someone else until u get someone with sense!
PLEASE...do NOT suggest that people call an office that is not in their area!! The smaller offices are not staffed to handle the increased volume, and that smaller office (or ANY outside of your area) DO NOT own that claim. You will need to call YOUR LOCAL OFFICE or the Remote Services Center.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:28 PM

407 posts, read 660,986 times
OOOPS ! sorry about that one!

Thanks a lot--- So to clarify (in case I am assuming wrong)
the TIER 3 and TIER 4
would be approved off of LAST YEARS claim?

since I obviously (as I think 99.99% of all of us) would be monetarilly ineligible if it was based off the year 2 claim?

and I assume, that unless there is something disqualifying or a change that would rule me out, that Tier 3 and Tier 4 are usually in order if you were approved for Tier 1 and Tier 2 last year?

ALSO Is there any way on the system to view your LAST YEARS EU info??? I wanted to verify 100% that I was originally approved for 26 weeks. (so that I can estimate on the next levels)

Thanks a lot JDLJR for all the help.

Old 03-04-2010, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by member2009 View Post
NCESC rep said Tier 4 wont be ready until April. 6 months since the extension was passed. all other states passed the benefits to people done long time ago. anybody wants to go and help them set it up and test?. I'll go. For free. Seriously, NCESC - what the f..........k ? Excuse me everybody for my language, but this is just horrible. what the.............?????????????????
The programmers are hardly sitting around with their thumb up their A$$. If you only knew the mountains of programming and testing they have to go through to get even one little thing done. And every time they go to work on something, something else comes up (like this phase out date now being extended...guess what...more programming needed to change it in our system!).

I am not condoning the slowness of the programming. I don't know how many programmers are working on it. I, too, am frustrated that every day I come across a dozen or so claims that have developed problems for no explained reason and the fixes that we usually try aren't working (I think as a result of programming that they've done to try and get something else in place) How many times in a day can I tell people that call that "IT knows and is working on it"?

I usually try and stay neutral to criticisms of ESC because I know people are frustrated and we, as an Agency, are there to serve the public and take the public criticism. Hell, I serve the public 8:30-5:00 five days a week and then seven days a week on this forum. I have tried to never steer anyone wrong on here and try to answer every question asked. I'm sorry you're frustrated and have lost your patience. But please...sit back, take a deep breath and look at the bigger picture. You have received MUCH MORE in unemployment benefits than some people qualified for, and people have bent over backwards to ensure that there are now 99 weeks worth of benefits available to many people, and benefits are able to be pulled forward from one benefit year to the next if necessary. In the better times, after regular UI that was it. No extensions, no nada.

And I would venture to say that your statement of "all other states passed the benefits to people done long time ago" is inaccurate. I doubt NC is the only state that has programming challenges. Granted, some states' challenges are fewer than others, and some may be facing even larger challenges. But these layers and layers of benefits, enabling some people to be on unemployment for two years solid are unprecedented. Please read that again. Unprecedented.

Last edited by jdljr; 03-04-2010 at 06:07 PM..

Old 03-04-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I found this:

"If you have not found employment while collecting state unemployment compensation, and you exhaust those state benefits by February 20, 2010, you will automatically be mailed instructions on how to file for the 20 weeks of extended benefits under the "First-Tier" program. "

I wonder if they're not going to qualify me for first-tier because my benefits ran out 2.28.10? I don't get it. You don't qualify for any extension because you were let go eight days too late?
The Feb 28th phase out date was just that...phasing out the extensions. You must realize (as must everyone else), at some point the extensions MUST end. I'm certainly not saying that time is now, and it looks like it MAY be at the end of 2010 if the long-term phase-out date Congress is working on is extended til then. Extensions are short term augmentations. They are not intended to be permanent. But for right now, it was extended 30 more days. And yes, our systems had been programmed to abide by the congressionally legislated Feb 28th phase out date. Now they have to be re-programmed to extend that date by 30 days. And guess what...if Congress drags their feet again and doesn't get the long-term date in place by then, it'll involve another claim stop, and, when congressionally extended once again, more programming to update our systems.

I'll say, it's a never-ending battle. Right now there is nothing beyond Tier 4 and EB. Should Congress pass further extensions, it'll take MORE programming and add even MORE confusion to the process.

But anyway, once they get the dates re-programmed in our system, then if you qualify for Tier 1 EUC you should be ok to receive it. Not sure if it will kick in automatically or if it will take a manual transaction to do it. Hopefully automatic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina