Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 06:40 PM

249 posts, read 305,321 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtngpatiently View Post
I understand what the republicans were trying to do and I don't completely disagree with the sentiment behind it. BUT - they didn't get the touchdown, so why throw the whole game. That's the problem with many people today, politicians and regular folks alike - admit what you tried didn't work, suck it up, and do something about it. All this trying to "save face" and "can't back down now because we'll look like idiots" is for the birds. That's how we got here in the first place.

NC government has not shut down in the past, as pointed out by one of these wonderful politicians (can't remember who at the moment) because there have been short term stop gap motions passed while the budget was still being worked on. The inability of either side to back down in this whole thing ensures that that would not happen this go around. I often wonder if one side is trying to force a shutdown just for one-upsmanship and the ability to point a finger!

I have been a state worker (teacher) and have been at the mercy of the GA and the budget negotiations between parties. It's not the end of the world to have your salary frozen for several years. It's not the end of the world to have the state contribute less to your retirement. It's not the end of the world to have to have paid for your own insurance premiums. What is awful is to get a chance to "retrain" so you can find a job only to have everything pulled out from under you in a matter of less than a week and a half. It's as if the government doesn't have to keep their end of the bargain, but you sure better! What is even more maddening is the fact that the money is there - just sitting and waiting. It will have 0 impact on the whole budget thing for next year. Yes, try using it as a bargaining chip, but if it doesn't work, fix it and look for another strategy.

I know benefits would eventually be ending for our family, but we were supposed to have had a little more time to cope with it and work it out. We were in the process of working on that. Can't do much in a matter of days, though, ya' know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 06:40 PM

187 posts, read 259,482 times
You are absolutely right, History. This situation is at the boiling point right now and action on the issue is imminent. We are all hoping to see positive action soon.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:46 PM

187 posts, read 259,482 times
Absolutely right, Holwager. I also urge EVERYONE here to copy and send this letter to ALL members of the NC General Assembly. We're at the zenith of this battle and we are in it together for all of our sakes. Please, copy and send this letter to ALL NC Representatives and Senators. A big thank you for the eloquence of this letter to wtngpatiently.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:48 PM

264 posts, read 364,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryProf2011 View Post
Does anyone know the names of the four democrats?! i would like to call, write, email, send a message by carrier pigeon, call collect, snail mail, tweet, facebook message, and hand deliver a message to them all?!

PLEASE END THIS CHARADE. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE DEMOCRAT OR REPUBLICAN YOU CANNOT MAKE POLITICAL DEALS WITH THE LIVES OF THE GOOD CITIZENS OF THIS COUNTRY. PEOPLE ARE IN NEED WHO PUT YOU IN OFFICE, YOU NEED TO ACT IN THEIR INTEREST, NOT YOUR OWN AGENDA.

THIS NATION IS FOR THE PEOPLE AND BY THE PEOPLE.

AMEN

seriously, if you have their contact info, I'd love to get people on board to contact them.
Everybody just needs to have some patience.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:51 PM

174 posts, read 314,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryProf2011 View Post
Does anyone know the names of the four democrats?! i would like to call, write, email, send a message by carrier pigeon, call collect, snail mail, tweet, facebook message, and hand deliver a message to them all?!

PLEASE END THIS CHARADE. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF YOU ARE DEMOCRAT OR REPUBLICAN YOU CANNOT MAKE POLITICAL DEALS WITH THE LIVES OF THE GOOD CITIZENS OF THIS COUNTRY. PEOPLE ARE IN NEED WHO PUT YOU IN OFFICE, YOU NEED TO ACT IN THEIR INTEREST, NOT YOUR OWN AGENDA.

THIS NATION IS FOR THE PEOPLE AND BY THE PEOPLE.

AMEN

seriously, if you have their contact info, I'd love to get people on board to contact them.
Do you mean in order to override a veto? If so , it's not any particular democrat it's any four that would change there vote in the house. Not the senate because the GOP already have enough votes there.

My question is how many votes do you need to push a bill out of a committee?I think I read that it already has 61

Old 04-26-2011, 07:59 PM

43 posts, read 56,760 times
The bill will come out of the committee with no problem I'm sure. The question then remains: will enough republicans vote for it so that combined with the democrats (all of whom will vote for it) it has a majority member vote? Once it does, it has the same hurdle considerations in the senate.

Personally, I would like to see the override - it would "kill two birds with one stone" so to speak and take care of EB and the budget debaucle. Makes sense for everyone, but I don't see that happening. If it only takes a straight majority to move it out and then move it on, a clean bill may just happen. Praying it will!

Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 PM

174 posts, read 314,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtngpatiently View Post
The bill will come out of the committee with no problem I'm sure. The question then remains: will enough republicans vote for it so that combined with the democrats (all of whom will vote for it) it has a majority member vote? Once it does, it has the same hurdle considerations in the senate.

Personally, I would like to see the override - it would "kill two birds with one stone" so to speak and take care of EB and the budget debaucle. Makes sense for everyone, but I don't see that happening. If it only takes a straight majority to move it out and then move it on, a clean bill may just happen. Praying it will!

if it does move out of the committee and it gets voted down in the Senate then it will put all eyes on them. it would be a clear sign to everyone that they really don't care about the unemployed. That's why they've spent so much energy trying to make sure the bill stays where it is.

Something is going to happen one way or another because tensions are really high right now. It amazes how quiet the Governor has been.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:39 AM

86 posts, read 155,299 times
Default Just an ESC update

I know dazeja has checked because we're in the same house, but I'm not sure if anyone else on this forum is in the same situation as I am.

So,,,,, I'm just giving an update on ESC's view on retroactivity. I've called the central Raleigh office again today not my local Charlotte office because they seem to know more about the debate on the bill. I exhausted my EUC benefits this past Saturday.

Anyway,,,, they are sticking to the information that anyone that wasn't on EB before APRIL 16th will NOT get any retroactive payments if it's reinstated.

So I'm in the process of contacting a reporter in Charlotte to let them know this additional information so they can at least have the truth.

1. The 37000 people that are listed in reports are people that were already on EB.
2. People that weren't already on EB are not being counted in the reports. (As of now that's going on two weeks worth )
3. Retroactive payments as of now does not apply to anyone that has exhausted their EUC benefits after April 16th.

I hope this changes , I'm not sure what other states did about this but I'm also not sure if it matters since it's a state matter.

Old 04-27-2011, 08:07 AM

244 posts, read 311,769 times
Enough already: End political bickering and deliver jobless benefits | JournalNow.com

Old 04-27-2011, 08:16 AM

249 posts, read 305,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanahB View Post
I know dazeja has checked because we're in the same house, but I'm not sure if anyone else on this forum is in the same situation as I am.

So,,,,, I'm just giving an update on ESC's view on retroactivity. I've called the central Raleigh office again today not my local Charlotte office because they seem to know more about the debate on the bill. I exhausted my EUC benefits this past Saturday.

Anyway,,,, they are sticking to the information that anyone that wasn't on EB before APRIL 16th will NOT get any retroactive payments if it's reinstated.

So I'm in the process of contacting a reporter in Charlotte to let them know this additional information so they can at least have the truth.

1. The 37000 people that are listed in reports are people that were already on EB.
2. People that weren't already on EB are not being counted in the reports. (As of now that's going on two weeks worth )
3. Retroactive payments as of now does not apply to anyone that has exhausted their EUC benefits after April 16th.

I hope this changes , I'm not sure what other states did about this but I'm also not sure if it matters since it's a state matter.
I'm in the same boat LanahB. Let me know how it goes with the reporter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina