Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2011, 10:45 AM

108 posts, read 160,623 times

Advertisements

I was just wondering. If the state moved to the 3 year look back calculation for EB to what level would the NC unemployment rate have to drop to and trigger off EB once again? This could all be a moot point for many of us as far as receiving EB depending on when we would move into EB after all the tiers are exhausted. With the NC unemployment rate dropping even slightly, even with the 3 year look back EB may be triggered off again by the time many of us reach EB if we continue to not be able to find jobs.

So this could all be a moot point for many of us not yet on EB.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 11:08 AM

174 posts, read 313,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post
I was just wondering. If the state moved to the 3 year look back calculation for EB to what level would the NC unemployment rate have to drop to and trigger off EB once again? This could all be a moot point for many of us as far as receiving EB depending on when we would move into EB after all the tiers are exhausted. With the NC unemployment rate dropping even slightly, even with the 3 year look back EB may be triggered off again by the time many of us reach EB if we continue to not be able to find jobs.

So this could all be a moot point for many of us not yet on EB.
If I'm not mistaken three years ago our unemployment was at 6.7% or 7% I believe it would have to drop below 9% in order to fall below the threshold again. Unemployment is dropping but it's going to rise again because every county is trying to figure out how to deal with debt. CMS of Charlotte is coming extremely close to letting a bunch of teachers go. The proposed cuts WAY outway any company that may move here and provide jobs. Charlotte's unemployment for example keeps going up and down but it's still at 10% down .2 percent. Certain feilds , like my roommates field (Architecture and COnstruction) is still at about 30% to 40% unemployed .

What all of that means is that I seriously doubt our unemployment will drop below 9%. Economist predicted the drop to 9.7% for the summer but say that number most likely will go up after July 1st.

Old 04-28-2011, 11:22 AM

187 posts, read 259,147 times
The House and Senate have been in session since this morning. I haven't heard or seen any updates on the eb issue. Any news or insight from any member will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:06 PM

5,150 posts, read 7,761,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtngpatiently View Post
Thank You, GCharlotte for your comment back to these kind of posts.

I wonder sometimes how many of the folks (who make such flippant comments (here, in the media, and even our own governement) would utterly change their tune if it were they on the receiving end? (And, downsize their housing, in this market!? Tried it, what a joke! As for retraining - ever try to do that with 3 kids to support and a spouse who's a homemaker and hasn't been able to find a job either? I'm overqualified for what I do apply for and education - my degree area - is bleeding employees as bad as everyone else! The comment I get is "Don't even send the resume, we're not looking at anything, even positions that exist now and become vacant." BTW - retraining money got cut in all this too! We won't get the level of help we were promised this semester because WIA is out of funding here at the end of their fiscal year too. Taking out a loan adds insult to injury in this situation. So, no income either way. Find a job indeed - when 400 people show up to apply for 2 jobs at McDonald's?)
Part of the idea of UI also is to hopefully get you employed in a similar paying job as before. If everyone making $50K picked up a $7.50 job you'd have multiple problems including:

1) An $18K job down from $50K is still pretty grim for that person or family. Sure you might have some money but your problems aren't solved and if you "made more" on UI and could spend that time finding a job that would solve the bigger problems then you should.

2) A hiring manager is going to be apprehensive of someone that used to make $25 per hour now making $7.50. That manager is going to assume the employee is going to bolt as soon as they can which hurts that business.

3) It locks out others from the workforce. Those that are just starting and don't need a lot of money or those that will never make $25 per hour now can't find a job because Mr. Twenty Five has their job.

We shouldn't be bickering about the guidelines. That's philosophical and if you're hear to argue that the unemployed in NC need to be pawns in a political chess match then you already have a prejudiced against UI in general.

All folks are asking for is to be treated fairly based upon a program's guidelines that have already been decided. NO ONE that I can think of would think 20 weeks of EB is a luxury and that there's no worries as long as you start looking by the 18th or 19th week. It's just too scary to be messing around at this point.

But this program having a 2 weeks notice to cut off and all the screw ups from the winter, no one should be playing around on the govco side on this. It's strictly a cluster . . .

Old 04-28-2011, 12:09 PM

244 posts, read 311,356 times
NCGA Update:

House Dems will hold a press conference on education job losses and unemployment benefits in about 15 minutes. Legislative press room.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:13 PM

187 posts, read 259,147 times
Thank You for the update laidoffafter50.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:22 PM

Link to Press Audio

North Carolina General Assembly - Press Audio

Old 04-28-2011, 12:26 PM

H676 now has unanimous support on discharge petition. All signatures are dems. No gop signatures

Old 04-28-2011, 12:31 PM

43 posts, read 56,679 times
Initial unemployment claims unexpectedly rise - The Hill's On The Money

Federal joblessness info. - What I thought was strange was that although they are saying there are decreases in claims in some areas, the ratio is waaaayyy off. They make it sound like things are looking up - but when you have a decrease of a couple thousand compared to a total of millions, I gotta question that. NC unemployment is decreasing, but only by a couple thousand compared to a total of several million still unemployed. I feel like things are looking up, how about you?

EB may eventually trigger back on, but it still begs the question - what next? I'm afraid to ask it for us. Faith, I suppose, remains.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:48 PM

Senate adjourns for week without acting on unemployment benefits extension for 37k in NC
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina