Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2011, 01:04 PM

244 posts, read 311,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCEB View Post
I heard that also. Maybe now it will get moving. Tillis always sounds like people are pissing him off by asking questions. How long can they talk about imminent domain?
Petition has 61 signatures, it can now come to the House floor.

"A discharge petition is a means of bringing a bill out of committee and to the floor for consideration without a report from a Committee and usually without cooperation of the leadership. Discharge petitions are most often associated with the U.S. House of Representatives, though many state legislatures have similar procedures. They are used when the chair of a committee refuses to place a bill or resolution on the Committee's agenda; by never reporting a bill, the matter will never leave the committee and the full House will not be able to consider it. A successful petition "discharges" the committee from further consideration of a bill or resolution and brings it directly to the floor. The discharge petition, and the threat of one, gives more power to individual members of the House and usurps a small amount of power from the leadership and committee chairs."

Discharge petition - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 01:22 PM

The Herald-Sun - As the jobless keep waiting (http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/12921830/article-As-the-jobless-keep-waiting?instance=hs_editorials - broken link)

"But what really made jaws drop was the heads-up from N.C. House Speaker Thom Tillis' office that the General Assembly is too busy to help the 37,000 jobless North Carolinians that it stranded without unemployment checks more than a week ago."

Old 04-26-2011, 01:24 PM

13 posts, read 17,119 times
Thank you very much for the updates, laidoffafter50!

Old 04-26-2011, 01:46 PM

"Nesbitt says the impasse between Perdue and GOP lawmakers is costing the state about $11 million a week in federal benefits. He says there’s a bipartisan bill waiting in committee that could make the changes needed to restore the benefits in one day."

NC Senate squares off over jobless benefits :: WRAL.com

Video: Nesbitt’s press conference

Old 04-26-2011, 02:14 PM

162 posts, read 213,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by laidoffafter50 View Post
The Herald-Sun - As the jobless keep waiting (http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/12921830/article-As-the-jobless-keep-waiting?instance=hs_editorials - broken link)

"But what really made jaws drop was the heads-up from N.C. House Speaker Thom Tillis' office that the General Assembly is too busy to help the 37,000 jobless North Carolinians that it stranded without unemployment checks more than a week ago."

The amount of time they spent on real estate law amendments they could have read and passed 676 at least 3 times. But they have nothing to gain from it so they will stammer on about something else for a while

Old 04-26-2011, 02:16 PM

23 posts, read 35,969 times
The Other republicans are coming to their senses but Phil Berger is just being a jackass.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:26 PM

174 posts, read 314,146 times
Rep. Wainwright should run for Governor. This is what I mean about being DOING something instead of just talk. Even if this doesn't work,, Say it gets to the Senate and the GOP votes it down. At least it puts the spot light on the true trouble makers in all of this. The media and everyone would see that the GOP actually doesn't care because they voted against a clean bill. Right now they are hiding behind their bill because the media and Gov. Perdue for some reason are letting them hide.

They won't be able to hide if a clean bill is sitting in front of them waiting for their votes.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:37 PM

44 posts, read 63,854 times
Gov Perdue sayd she didn't sign the bill to enable EB because it would crimp her ability to negotiate on the state budget. She's had the Republican budget (which would not run a deficit as Perdue's would) on her desk for two months without trying to negotiate it! Furthermore, it seems Gov Perdue increased her original budget (from 8.5% over the Republican version to 13% over) in order to provide more negotiating room.

The Republicans are trying to force Perdue to do her job without playing games but it seems like she's got the game going like she wants. There seems to be support in the GA to override Perdue on this matter. I think this represents the best chance to get EB flowing, so I'm going to write the GA in support of an override of Perdue's veto.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:15 PM

174 posts, read 314,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmichaelp View Post
Gov Perdue sayd she didn't sign the bill to enable EB because it would crimp her ability to negotiate on the state budget. She's had the Republican budget (which would not run a deficit as Perdue's would) on her desk for two months without trying to negotiate it! Furthermore, it seems Gov Perdue increased her original budget (from 8.5% over the Republican version to 13% over) in order to provide more negotiating room.

The Republicans are trying to force Perdue to do her job without playing games but it seems like she's got the game going like she wants. There seems to be support in the GA to override Perdue on this matter. I think this represents the best chance to get EB flowing, so I'm going to write the GA in support of an override of Perdue's veto.
I think both the GOP and the Gov. Are playing games. The democrats in the ga are stuck in the middle like all of us.

Old 04-26-2011, 03:21 PM

43 posts, read 56,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryProf2011 View Post
Your right, they do have over two months to solidify a budget. However, they want to deal with it now. Every state is taking an example from the federal government, who procrastinated with add on extensions until the 11th hour...then almost shut down. They want this budget signed yesterday...to protect state functions, and state employee paychecks. It's pretty important because it affects way more than 37k people.

I called the ESC representative today to see if she had any insight. The local office at Asheville is hit or miss(in terms of getting an informed person to talk to). Today....I did. She told me that she has seen this same thing happen before. She also spoke about final language. The unemployment EB issue is not closed. They have not officially said it is DEAD. It is being used as leverage, and in one way, it is all the Republicans really have.

PLUS they don't want to wait too long by creating BACK-PAY issues. Back-Pay for unemployment always causes allot of confusion, computer glitches, and headaches for everyone.

Eb extension will come, but it looks like it will be a wait.

I understand what the republicans were trying to do and I don't completely disagree with the sentiment behind it. BUT - they didn't get the touchdown, so why throw the whole game. That's the problem with many people today, politicians and regular folks alike - admit what you tried didn't work, suck it up, and do something about it. All this trying to "save face" and "can't back down now because we'll look like idiots" is for the birds. That's how we got here in the first place.

NC government has not shut down in the past, as pointed out by one of these wonderful politicians (can't remember who at the moment) because there have been short term stop gap motions passed while the budget was still being worked on. The inability of either side to back down in this whole thing ensures that that would not happen this go around. I often wonder if one side is trying to force a shutdown just for one-upsmanship and the ability to point a finger!

I have been a state worker (teacher) and have been at the mercy of the GA and the budget negotiations between parties. It's not the end of the world to have your salary frozen for several years. It's not the end of the world to have the state contribute less to your retirement. It's not the end of the world to have to have paid for your own insurance premiums. What is awful is to get a chance to "retrain" so you can find a job only to have everything pulled out from under you in a matter of less than a week and a half. It's as if the government doesn't have to keep their end of the bargain, but you sure better! What is even more maddening is the fact that the money is there - just sitting and waiting. It will have 0 impact on the whole budget thing for next year. Yes, try using it as a bargaining chip, but if it doesn't work, fix it and look for another strategy.

I know benefits would eventually be ending for our family, but we were supposed to have had a little more time to cope with it and work it out. We were in the process of working on that. Can't do much in a matter of days, though, ya' know?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina