Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2011, 08:36 AM

264 posts, read 364,067 times

Advertisements

LanahB, Larry Brown is so ignorant, how did he get into office? Of course it's in his control, along with all the other NC representatives and senators. Let's hope there's enough human beings among our representatives to get this bill passed. Don't give up hope!

One suggestion to Larry Brown if he thinks he has no control over this issue, fine, then don't vote on it. Let the representatives and state senators who are not so stupid do the voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2011, 10:05 AM

169 posts, read 314,996 times
Default Thank You Abcde12

I wanted to send a personal thank you to you for your optimism, and astute belief in the tenets of democracy. Your messages are informative, supportive, and fundamentally correct about these important issues.

I live in North Carolina, and both my parents are getting laid off of work after working their whole lives. They are too young to retire, and it is more than heartbreaking to have this economy hit so close to home. What North Carolina is doing is unjust. Why they are not following suit with other states(ensuring benefits are extended by adjusting "numbers game" that triggers EB on and off)is beyond me. Oh wait, does it have to do with Gov. Purdue "JOB TOUR" campaign(which advertises the sudden "prosperity" in NC economy)?!

What are 40,000 people going to do with two weeks notice concerning their lifeline? People need this money in NC to live. PERIOD.

House BIll H676 is being sponsered by William WainWright/ House Member/
Phone # 919-733-5995
Email- william.wainwright.ncleg.net

Let him know your alive and you support his efforts. It is your civic duty.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:20 AM

Default I just did too

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBolin View Post
or you can leave a message
at 252-447-7379
which I just did.

I have called him once, and urged others to inquire into this bill and thank him for his efforts.

Old 04-07-2011, 10:53 AM

55 posts, read 100,637 times
I called the 252 number and the message didn't say anything about it being a state representative. I left a thank you and will call the 919 number just posted.

Old 04-07-2011, 11:33 AM

Default Called 919 number for Mr. Wainright

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmrm97 View Post
I called the 252 number and the message didn't say anything about it being a state representative. I left a thank you and will call the 919 number just posted.
The Bill H676 can be tracked online at the government website. The receptionist was polite, and she said many people have been calling the office today in reference to the introduction of the bill. She said they are hopeful for its passage(as we are too), and unlike Missouri, who waited until the EB ended to rectify the situation, Nc is trying to get on the ball a week before. Of course, it would have been better if the scare tactic of cutting of Extended benefits had NEVER been used by the state of NC(and they foresaw this eventuality in the federal "trigger" system). However, this bill does bring hope to some 40,000(which i'm sure is a skewed figure-it is much more-if you count unemployed people's children who will be affected, etc.) people.

I commended Mr. Wainwright on his efforts. Please call 919-733-5995 if you care to send your regards and show support.

Old 04-07-2011, 02:35 PM

23 posts, read 35,938 times
I'm doomed. I can't survive 3 weeks without pay.

Old 04-07-2011, 03:57 PM

264 posts, read 364,067 times
Thank you, HistoryProf2011, for your statement of support. Your words are much appreciated.

I care about this EB trigger issue not just because I'll be personally affected by it if it's not there when I need it. I care about the range of economic justice issues. How bad does it need to get, how extreme the disparity between the haves and have-nots before people say Enough!

Many people may have heard that the gap between the rich and the poor is growing. Did you know that according to Michael Moore and others, the richest 400 individuals in this country have wealth equal to the bottom 50% of the wealth distribution -- that's 150 million people!

How did it get like this?

In spite of what the very, very rich would have us believe, God did not deed the planet to them.

Old 04-07-2011, 05:30 PM

1 posts, read 2,295 times
I have been on unemployment for a year after coming home from Iraq. Each time I file I worry about being denied benefits, I had no idea about this until this morning when a fellow soldier of mine sent me a message about it. I am in a bit of a panic of course considering my husband is the breadwinner but with unsteady work and not qualified to pull unemployment since he is a 1099 and I am the only reason he is even in the US. However I am thankful to everyone who has been proactive in the situation. My heart goes out to all those families who have children and loved ones to take care of.

Hold on, don't lose hope.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:21 PM

108 posts, read 160,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
Thank you, HistoryProf2011, for your statement of support. Your words are much appreciated.

I care about this EB trigger issue not just because I'll be personally affected by it if it's not there when I need it. I care about the range of economic justice issues. How bad does it need to get, how extreme the disparity between the haves and have-nots before people say Enough!

Many people may have heard that the gap between the rich and the poor is growing. Did you know that according to Michael Moore and others, the richest 400 individuals in this country have wealth equal to the bottom 50% of the wealth distribution -- that's 150 million people!

How did it get like this?

In spite of what the very, very rich would have us believe, God did not deed the planet to them.
I wouldn't put too much stock in what Michael Moore says.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:50 PM

187 posts, read 259,281 times
People, This is the latest news briefing that I have about the EB Benefit Situation, directly quoted from the Charlotte Observer. I strongly urge everyone to call and call all the representatives and senators, no matter how derogatory their responses will be! ! We Must Fight To Get This Bill Passed ! ! !
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lawmakers are pushing to reinstate extended unemployment benefits in North Carolina, days after state officials announced they would end the program.

A bill introduced in the N.C. House this week seeks to change the way the state's eligibility is determined. Without the change, the extended benefits - federally funded payouts that stretch up to 20 weeks after job-seekers exhaust their first 79 weeks of unemployment benefits - will end April 16.

Some 37,000 job-seekers stand to lose their benefits as a result.

Moderator cut: copyright violation

North Carolina has paid more than $750 million to 234,000 people through its extended-benefits program since it launched in October 2008, Parker said. The federal government has paid those benefits in full since February 2009, he said.

Read more: Lawmakers push to extend jobless benefits - CharlotteObserver.com (http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2011/04/07/2205953/proposed-law-could-reinstate-extended.html#ixzz1Itqm6sUj - broken link)

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 04-21-2011 at 05:47 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina