Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2011, 08:40 AM

122 posts, read 161,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_Job_Hunter View Post
I still urge everyone to contact your reps about supporting HR 589. This does affect everyone, as it is a 14 extension added to TIER 1. It has nothing to do with EB. It will help the 99ers, but also anyone else that has moved into tier 1 or beyond. It is retroactive, so even if you are in tier 4, you will get the extar 14 weeks, if this bill passes.
EVERYONE needs to contact your reps and Speaker Boehner's office. Many are working to get this bill through, but it will takes everyones effort. Please do your part to help.
Wrong....This is only after you have exhausted tier 4, no more 20 additional weeks of EB. Just got off the phone with a Rep, unless she was wrong. She did say anything is possible between today and April 16!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 09:23 AM

32 posts, read 50,608 times
Thank you - I appreciate your detailed response.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:27 AM

81 posts, read 174,671 times
You are mistaken, I believe.
You can find information on this bill here:
The American 99ers Union - A Coalition Of 99er Advocate Groups
You can also find a copy of the bill itself on that site, as well as Boehner's and Cantor's contact numbers.

As far as I know, you do not have to exhaust all tiers before getting this. It will be added to tier 1, so tier 1 will be increased from 20 weeks to 34 weeks for EVERYONE.
If you have moved into tier 2, 3 or 4, you will revert back 14 weeks.
So if you are in the first week of say tier 3, you will be moved back to the beginning of tier 2 again. The extra 14 weeks will not be added at the end of all tiers, as I understand it. It will become effective on tier 1. Anyone about to end tier 1 (having gotten 20 weeks), will not end it on their regular date, it will be extended 14 more weeks and then normal tier 2 will begin. It is retroactive, so no matter where you are (in tiers) you will get it as soon as it becomes law.
Yes, it will be most helpful to those that are about to run out of benefits (or already have ran out), but it is for anyone and everyone drawing.

Here is the bill:
http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill...?bill=h112-589

I hope that makes sense. Sometimes all this UI and tier stuff can be confusing. But rest assured, this IS for everyone that has drawn the first 26 weeks and moved into tiers. Someone that is just about to begin tier one, if this bill passes will not be limited to 20 weeks, tier one for them will be 34 weeks. Anyone already passed tier one, will be adjusted to add the extra 14 weeks and moved to the appropriate tier at that time, no matter where you are in your tiers.

In simple terms, UI with tiers 1,2,3 and 4 (not counting EB) is 79 weeks maximum. This bill will increase the total to 93 weeks.

Last edited by NC_Job_Hunter; 04-04-2011 at 09:36 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 09:39 AM

264 posts, read 364,685 times
You can contact the governor by calling (919) 733-4240 or at North Carolina Office of Governor Bev Perdue. Call, email, or do both -- this can make a difference!

Knowing your representative in the NC General Assembly is a little more complicated. This site:

North Carolina Office of Governor Bev Perdue

will give you directions on how to look up your representative on the "Voter Lookup" page. The General Assembly convenes tonight at 7 p.m.!

The EB trigger issue and HR 589 are both very important. EB is in the hands of our state officials and HR 589 is proposed federal legislation.

Don't feel powerless! Act!

Old 04-04-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillunemployed View Post
Wrong....This is only after you have exhausted tier 4, no more 20 additional weeks of EB. Just got off the phone with a Rep, unless she was wrong. She did say anything is possible between today and April 16!!!
Okay, I do see what the rep you spoke to was referring to.
A state may elect to add this AFTER tier 2, 3 or 4. However, it is still there if one needs it. Some states may adjust the tiers and move people back, others may wait to add it at the end, either way, it will be available for folks and will add an additional 14 weeks, should they not be able to find work before their tiers end.

So, even if NC decided to add it after all tiers are completed, it will still offer you 14 weeks you would not normally get.
Tier 1 = 20 weeks.
Tier 2 = 14 (with the extra week, if it still applies(?) ).
Tier 3 = 13 weeks.
Tier 4 = 6 weeks.
Tier 1 extension (H.R. 589) 14 weeks.
It just depends on how the states decide to implement it.

Last edited by NC_Job_Hunter; 04-04-2011 at 10:01 AM..

Old 04-04-2011, 09:58 AM

To demand support and passage of H.R. 589 into law.

Speaker John Boehner:
http://www.speaker.gov/Contact/ (web mail)
Phone: 202-225-0600
Fax: 202-225-5117
@SpeakerBoehner (Twitter)

Majority Leader Eric Cantor:
http://cantor.house.gov/contact/ (web mail)
Phone : 202-225-2815
Fax: 202-225-0011
@GOPLeader (Twitter)

I suggest holding to speak to a rep when calling Boehner.
When calling Cantor, you will only get a machine to leave a message.
You will not be able to use Cantor's web mail, unless you live in the 7th district of Virginia. You can however call and leave a message.

I have called both this morning.

Old 04-04-2011, 11:38 AM

108 posts, read 161,012 times
Keep hope alive people. I have to believe that the state will correct this anomaly in the unemployment laws if they can opt to pick up the 3rd year when deciding if EB is triggered. The reason this is coming about is that the unemployment rate has been so high for 2+ years running. It is a quirk in the EB triggering law. Unemployment is still very high at 9.7 percent in the state. They should see that this shouldn't happen and steps should be taken to get over this bump.

Follow the links above and contact Bev and your state senators asking them to do the right thing here. Unemployment rate is still 9.7% and they are going to allow all these people to be dumped off unemployment benefits just like that because of this quirk in the law? I don't think so.

KEEP HOPE ALIVE!!

Old 04-04-2011, 01:48 PM

187 posts, read 259,678 times
People,
As other members have stated, do KEEP YOUR HOPES UP AND ALIVE. Unemployment is very high in North Carolina, 9.7%. Other states (Ohio, Michigan, Oregon) have opted to adopt the new law allowing states to change from a 2 year to 3 year TUR lookback, when determining the state's elligibility for EB benefits. I have faith first in Our Lord, and second, that NC Legislature will be able to amend their current law, for the benefit of its citizens who have been endlessly looking for work. Now that gas prices are sky-high, this will be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:16 PM

15 posts, read 29,001 times
This is so disappointing. I have read and I see that Im not affected by this. I just started Tier 2 last week, so Im assuming I still have Tier 3 and 4 to complete. After that, Im done. Its sad because its hard to even find a part time JOB!!! I need to understand WHY ITS ENDING, when the unemployment rates are still HIGH??? Also, is there a chance EB will come back before my Tier 4 ends??

Old 04-04-2011, 04:04 PM

108 posts, read 161,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kekenc View Post
This is so disappointing. I have read and I see that Im not affected by this. I just started Tier 2 last week, so Im assuming I still have Tier 3 and 4 to complete. After that, Im done. Its sad because its hard to even find a part time JOB!!! I need to understand WHY ITS ENDING, when the unemployment rates are still HIGH??? Also, is there a chance EB will come back before my Tier 4 ends??
I for one think the state will act on this and keep the EB in effect at least thru this year. Like I said above the reason EB has been triggered off is due to the unemployment rate being so high for 2 and 1/2 straight years. It has never been high like this for that long a period. Which makes the current triggering laws for EB not appropriate in our current situation.

But we need to make sure they are aware of this situation and contact Bev and your state senators. I wouldn't doubt that some of them are not even aware of this unemployment situation that needs to be acted upon for the many folks still out of work and the state unemployment rate still very high at 9.7%.

Get on the horn people!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina