Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 01:12 PM

244 posts, read 312,018 times

Advertisements

The Herald-Sun - Working for jobless benefits (http://www.heraldsun.com/view/full_story/13171914/article-Working-for-jobless-benefits?instance=homesecondleft - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 01:23 PM

162 posts, read 193,860 times
I don't understand why they are going after the unemployed. People who have worked hard all their life and were laid off through no fault of their own. Why don't they do something about creating jobs to help us get off of unemployment. So this is what they have been busy doing instead of passing EB. Now I know there is not a snow balls chance in hell, EB will be restored. Which bill do I not pay?

Old 05-08-2011, 02:13 PM

134 posts, read 173,053 times
I call the ESC and they set up my 2nd benefit year for me by phone. Same amount.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:13 PM

43 posts, read 56,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thaylin View Post
personally I hope they do testing on all welfare recipiants. I remember growing up as a kid just as many people I knew who got food stamps to use just for food got them and sold some.

Okay, I've debated this with a number of people already. Just as it is offensive to assume that all unemployed need drug tests it is as equally offensive to suggest food stamp recipients should be drug tested. It has been said on this forum that there are all people we know who work the system. That's true with food stamps, medicaid, etc.

However, I have had to swallow my pride and fess up to the fact that prejudicial stereotypes that I myself have held in the past needed to be changed. I now live off food stamps to provide groceries for my family and if it were not for medicaid for my children, my daughter wouldn't recieve vaccinations and my son medication that he needs on a daily basis because I couldn't afford it. I didn't ask to be here and never dreamed I would be here. I am tired of being looked at as if I had 6 heads and 3 eyeballs everytime I have to go to DSS and update or ask a question - and that is from the workers there! - just because my husband and I are now unemployed. I have a bachelor's degree and graduated top of my class at Appalachian. I had been gainfully employed since 1991, my husband several years before that. We are both educated people. Just because we have had the misfortune to lose our jobs and be on of the so-called '99ers is no reason that we, or others, should be automatically drug tested, as if that is going to make much of a difference at this point.

Just thinking that maybe we need to quit assuming things about folks whose situations we know nothing about. If we need to be randomly drug tested to receive benefits, then so be it, but don't just assume, regardless of who you are, that someone is somehow "crooked" or must be working the system because they receive public help.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:25 PM

9 posts, read 11,882 times
This is the feedback I got back from Rep. John Torbett (Rep)

First of all I have been given two phone numbers for you to call for help at the employment security office. 1-866-278-3822 and 1-888-737-0259. Next, if you are eligible for unemployment that funding is still in place until January 2012. The extended benefits that were stopped, is only because the unemployment rate has reached the percentage that these benefits were in place for and this was explained when they were started. Lastly, hopefully there may still be an agreement reached to start back the extended benefits, even though the percentage of unemployment has reached the rate as outlined in the state program.

I am deeply saddened as to the state of our economy and am doing my best to help straighten out our budget and provide opportunity for folks to get back to work.

Best,
John

Office of the People of House District 108
John A. Torbett, Representative
North Carolina General Assembly
537 Legislative Office Building
300 N. Salisbury St.
Raleigh, NC 27603-5925
O: 919-733-5868
H: 704-263-9282
John.torbett@ncleg.net

Old 05-08-2011, 04:26 PM

264 posts, read 364,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sacflies View Post
And Jesse Ventura as Governor (actually he couldn't have been any worse than our current gov). Don't have a problem with Bachmann, but Al Franken (!!!!) and Jesse Ventura!!??

What is up in Minnesota??!! Do they see elections as a time to play jokes?
Don't have a problem with Bachmann? Well, I do, I got lots of problems with Bachmann, but I'm not even going to go down that path!

From what I hear, Al Franken is a very hard-working legislator. And of course I agree with much of his liberal agenda.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:30 PM

[quote=HistoryProf2011;19065213]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post

He sent me the question, "how many weeks have you been on unemployment?". It was in my emails inbox today. I replied how many years have you been a crooked politician? What a giant a**hole.
LOL

Old 05-08-2011, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereid67 View Post

First of all I have been given two phone numbers for you to call for help at the employment security office. 1-866-278-3822 and 1-888-737-0259. Next, if you are eligible for unemployment that funding is still in place until January 2012. The extended benefits that were stopped, is only because the unemployment rate has reached the percentage that these benefits were in place for and this was explained when they were started. Lastly, hopefully there may still be an agreement reached to start back the extended benefits, even though the percentage of unemployment has reached the rate as outlined in the state program.

I am deeply saddened as to the state of our economy and am doing my best to help straighten out our budget and provide opportunity for folks to get back to work.

Best,
John

300 N. Salisbury St.
Raleigh, NC 27603-5925
John.torbett@ncleg.net
Torbett is an idiot. He apparently doesn't realize that EB triggered off not because the unemployment rate went down, but because it didn't increase from the previous 2 years.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:43 PM

162 posts, read 193,860 times
cereid67, I received the exact same email word for word. Gee I was happy someone answered me and now it was just a form response. I really wish the media would start slapping these guys with questions and demanding answers. Tell everyone how the Republicans don't give a damn about the unemployed.

I am feeling less hopeful about EB being restored.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:45 PM

169 posts, read 315,590 times
Default Sounds like he is really informed.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by cereid67 View Post

Best,
John

300 N. Salisbury St.
Raleigh, NC 27603-5925
John.torbett@ncleg.net

Really, Thanks john. You really "broke it down" for all of us unemployed people who don't understand how to:

(1) Make a phone call to ncesc(no sh**)
(2) understand the phoney two year look-back system, which has been overturned and revamped by almost every state except NC and a few others.
(3)or understand that the two year lookback has made it seem like their are fewer unemployed people, thus it triggered off our benefits

** I bet you "straightening out the budget" is going to do just that: "allow people to get back to work". Sounds more like cutting funding and jobs for people who are already working. What a lousy snake(check out his picture,it looks like this guy should be selling door to door life insurance). How do these people get into office?!

What a disappointment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina