Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2011, 11:55 AM

108 posts, read 160,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by abcde12 View Post
I understand your ambivalence about my home state of North Carolina.

But Minnesota -- a state that elected both Michele Bachmann and Al Franken?!? Just goes to show you the electorate is not monolithic. And neither are the legislators, so I would never make a blanket statement about never voting for ANY citizen of a particular state.
And Jesse Ventura as Governor (actually he couldn't have been any worse than our current gov). Don't have a problem with Bachmann, but Al Franken (!!!!) and Jesse Ventura!!??

What is up in Minnesota??!! Do they see elections as a time to play jokes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 11:59 AM

7 posts, read 10,870 times
Default Benefits year ending

I'm hoping someone can help answer a couple of questions. My unemployment benefits year ended yesterday. I'm in tier 2 benefits right now. I went ahead and filed my weekly claim today because I wasn't sure if I should or not (figured better safe than sorry). It said my claim was accepted for processing, then when I clicked "finish" it told me my year had expired. Will I receive a payment tomorrow?

I was planning to go in to my unemployment office tomorrow and file for a "transitional claim," which is what they told me I needed to do. Does anyone know if I will draw the same amount weekly or if there is anything I need to be concerned about that would prevent me from continuing to draw? I have not worked at all since I was laid off on May 14th of last year. I'm also told there is a waiting period of a week and I'm wondering if there's any trick to avoiding this...

Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidoffafter50 View Post
About the only thing left out was the requirement to wear striped pajamas with a big "U" on the back of the shirt.
Hey, don't give them any more ideas!!

Old 05-08-2011, 12:02 PM

22 posts, read 50,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommy terry View Post
Hey bring the paddy wagon on over and pick me up for my community service!!
I hope they offer some form of free transportation (I know they won't) because otherwise my benefits are done for. I had a hard time making my once a month meetings due to the fact I had to sell my car and my brother work's Monday-Saturday working 6am-6:30pm with a 40 mile commute so it's not like I can volunteer anywhere until Sunday. I guess I'd have to take him to work, do all my hours in 1 day, pick him up from work, and just do that every week.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:11 PM

169 posts, read 315,193 times
Default He also sent me that response

[quote=Holwager;19058542]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cereid67 View Post
Holwager, I got the same response from Rep. Stephen A. LaRoque "How many weeks have you receiving unemployment benefits?"

Here's my next question from him:

"What kind of work are you looking for? Can you pass a drug test? Where are you located in our state?"

I need to wait before I respond because my blood pressure is through the roof and I don't want to use expletives with this poor excuse for a "leader."

He sent me the question, "how many weeks have you been on unemployment?". It was in my emails inbox today. I replied how many years have you been a crooked politician? What a giant a**hole.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlc58 View Post
I'm hoping someone can help answer a couple of questions. My unemployment benefits year ended yesterday. I'm in tier 2 benefits right now. I went ahead and filed my weekly claim today because I wasn't sure if I should or not (figured better safe than sorry). It said my claim was accepted for processing, then when I clicked "finish" it told me my year had expired. Will I receive a payment tomorrow?

I was planning to go in to my unemployment office tomorrow and file for a "transitional claim," which is what they told me I needed to do. Does anyone know if I will draw the same amount weekly or if there is anything I need to be concerned about that would prevent me from continuing to draw? I have not worked at all since I was laid off on May 14th of last year. I'm also told there is a waiting period of a week and I'm wondering if there's any trick to avoiding this...

Thanks in advance for any help.
Yeah, you should go into the ESC tomorrow and apply for your second benefit year. You will be given an "extension" (or a "dummy" year or "pull forward") because you have not worked at all during your 1st benefit year. You should be able to continue receiving your checks without interruption. It is only when you qualify for a new 2nd benefit year (different than an "extension") that you will have a waiting week between your 1st and 2nd year. You will be able to continue receiving all that you have left to pull from, in your case the rest of tier 2, tier 3, and tier 4. EB will end early Jan 2012 (unless the federal government decides to continue the program further), so I am not sure how your situation will turn out as far as you getting EB or not after you finish tier 4. If your tier 4 ends this year (which it looks like it will) then you may be able to get EB as well, if the state gets thru the mess they are in right now.

But DO go into the ESC tomorrow and apply for your 2nd benefit year. Then if I were you, later next week call and make sure they processed your 2nd year so you can continue to file and get your payments without interruption.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:46 PM

Default I sent this email to every representative concerning Laroque's repsonses

To whom it may concern,

After a well articulated email, sent in both frustration and desperation with the political positioning between the representatives of the state(at the expense of the disenfranchised worker). Representative Laroque replies to my email with this intentional "DIG" against my situation. As if to call me a saprophyte on the state, because like so many people in our crippled economy, I am concerned for the welfare of my unemployed neighbors and friends. Representative Laroque lack of professionalism is astounding. The gentleman did not even address me with a humane greeting or a polite closing. He just simply asked a question that he thought he most likely knew the answer to(that he thought I was in fact a long term unemployed person that could not find work). As a prior manager of a business, I felt it necessary to let this gentleman's colleagues know how inappropriate I believe his response to me was. His reply to me is listed below: His one sentence with no heading or closing. He has replied in a similar manner to many of my peers, who are also interested in the welfare of people in this hostile economy. What embarrassing behavior for a representative of our state.

I hope he is embarrassed by his poor judgement on sending insulting emails to disenfranchised workers. How shameful on his part. These are our representatives. I looked at his picture and I got even more angry. At least I have something new for my dartboard.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryProf2011 View Post
To whom it may concern,

After a well articulated email, sent in both frustration and desperation with the political positioning between the representatives of the state(at the expense of the disenfranchised worker). Representative Laroque replies to my email with this intentional "DIG" against my situation. As if to call me a saprophyte on the state, because like so many people in our crippled economy, I am concerned for the welfare of my unemployed neighbors and friends. Representative Laroque lack of professionalism is astounding. The gentleman did not even address me with a humane greeting or a polite closing. He just simply asked a question that he thought he most likely knew the answer to(that he thought I was in fact a long term unemployed person that could not find work). As a prior manager of a business, I felt it necessary to let this gentleman's colleagues know how inappropriate I believe his response to me was. His reply to me is listed below: His one sentence with no heading or closing. He has replied in a similar manner to many of my peers, who are also interested in the welfare of people in this hostile economy. What embarrassing behavior for a representative of our state.

I hope he is embarrassed by his poor judgement on sending insulting emails to disenfranchised workers. How shameful on his part. These are our representatives. I looked at his picture and I got even more angry. At least I have something new for my dartboard.
Nice. I hope this dude gets called out.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:02 PM

Default Hahahhahahha

Quote:
Originally Posted by laidoffafter50 View Post
The bill to ensure you WILL be drug tested to receive UB has already been filed by the NCGA. Filed one day after H676 was introduced. And who is a co-sponsor for the Bill? What a co-inkydink.

H735, Edition 1 Ready for Work/UI Drug Testing.

North Carolina General Assembly - House Bill 735 Information/History (2011-2012 Session)

http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/Sessions...PDF/H735v0.pdf
Do you know how time consuming randomly testing 40k unemployed people would be? Where would it be done? BY whom? Who is going to keep the records on it? Will it be conducted by the small staff of the NCESC? How will people be contacted to come in for the test(by phone, by email)? The implementation of this project sounds tremendously time consuming, and consequently, unlikely. Will North Carolina treat the disenfranchised worker like a drug addict or a criminal(taking pee tests and doing community service)?

So many crazy, idiotic bills go unseen and don't get passed. This is assuredly one of them.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:03 PM

40 posts, read 65,517 times
[quote=HistoryProf2011;19065213]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holwager View Post

He sent me the question, "how many weeks have you been on unemployment?". It was in my emails inbox today. I replied how many years have you been a crooked politician? What a giant a**hole.
Too bad you're not a corporation needing a bailout.

Nobody even talks about the bailouts anymore.

We have money to "save" corporations that won't hire us
while they cut unemployment and school funds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina