Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 03:26 PM

92 posts, read 94,075 times

Advertisements

In North Carolina, Democratic Gov. Bev Perdue vetoed a bill saving the benefits because Republican lawmakers attached big budget cuts to the legislation. But now Democrats and Republicans in the North Carolina General Assembly have said they want to "cut a new deal" to reinstate the benefits, according to the Charlotte Observer.

"cut a new deal" Hmmm Tell me guys who do they have to cut a deal with? There is no deals here when its a federally funded program. Better yet attach it to this because this Bill S322 is going thru as we speak. The politicians make it so complicated and can be simple.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2011, 03:31 PM

264 posts, read 313,668 times
When I believe in it I'm full force and responses from the reps have shown that they have already forgetton where they came. That pisses me to the uptenth degree. Let's remind them what goes up can come down.

Has there been a facebook account set up for the cause? If not then let's organize that as well. Guys we have to lobby here. If you are among the group that is unemployed and on here then you have access to work it just as much as they are ignoring it but if we don't pull together it wont happen. It can be done anon if that is the way you choose due to ramifications you feel may exists for you in the future if you place your name on this. There are many that will place a name to the cause even if you want but you can get the info to them. Go to: North Carolina Profile

Look at your county or adjoining county. If you are near anyone of the higher unemp rate counties, you need to be contacting folks because I guarantee you know someone else in your situation. Let's get folks on board.

Again...we have more time than we have money so lets make our time count to help ourselves until we can secure decent employment. This is nonsense and we know it. Let's let our elected officials know it too!

Old 05-09-2011, 03:53 PM

264 posts, read 313,668 times
Whose in or near: Alexander, Ashe, Caswell, Clay, Davidson, Franklin, Graham, Jones, Madison, Perquimans, Rockingham, Rutherford, Stokes, Tyrell, Yancey counties? If you are then you're county was right on the edge or over 10% unemp rate according to NCESC stats and that's JUST THE FOLKS THAT WERE STILL ABLE TO DRAW AS OF END OF MARCH 2011! Heck almighty, Stokes co was at 14.27. NCESC hasn't even gotten the nerve up to publish April figs yet and its well known that rates went up dramatically.

There shouldn't be any shame here and if there is, with today's technology we can fight fire with fire. Who wants to try to get some short term help while you continue to look for gainful employment. We all know that we probably won't be able to find work making what we were, but with your experience, skills and/or education- you expect a fair shake. Well, it looks like we are going to have to fight to get it.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:02 PM

162 posts, read 213,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleprovider51 View Post
When I believe in it I'm full force and responses from the reps have shown that they have already forgetton where they came. That pisses me to the uptenth degree. Let's remind them what goes up can come down.

Has there been a facebook account set up for the cause? If not then let's organize that as well. Guys we have to lobby here. If you are among the group that is unemployed and on here then you have access to work it just as much as they are ignoring it but if we don't pull together it wont happen. It can be done anon if that is the way you choose due to ramifications you feel may exists for you in the future if you place your name on this. There are many that will place a name to the cause even if you want but you can get the info to them. Go to: North Carolina Profile

Look at your county or adjoining county. If you are near anyone of the higher unemp rate counties, you need to be contacting folks because I guarantee you know someone else in your situation. Let's get folks on board.

Again...we have more time than we have money so lets make our time count to help ourselves until we can secure decent employment. This is nonsense and we know it. Let's let our elected officials know it too!

Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Reinst...66994013358125

Old 05-09-2011, 04:04 PM

264 posts, read 364,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soleprovider51 View Post
Whose in or near: Alexander, Ashe, Caswell, Clay, Davidson, Franklin, Graham, Jones, Madison, Perquimans, Rockingham, Rutherford, Stokes, Tyrell, Yancey counties? If you are then you're county was right on the edge or over 10% unemp rate according to NCESC stats and that's JUST THE FOLKS THAT WERE STILL ABLE TO DRAW AS OF END OF MARCH 2011! Heck almighty, Stokes co was at 14.27. NCESC hasn't even gotten the nerve up to publish April figs yet and its well known that rates went up dramatically.

There shouldn't be any shame here and if there is, with today's technology we can fight fire with fire. Who wants to try to get some short term help while you continue to look for gainful employment. We all know that we probably won't be able to find work making what we were, but with your experience, skills and/or education- you expect a fair shake. Well, it looks like we are going to have to fight to get it.
With any media interviews, make sure they know these statistics in addition to the personal stories.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:16 PM

92 posts, read 94,075 times
Lets see now where can I find a job North Dakota!!!!!!!!!

Policy Basics: How Many Weeks of Unemployment Compensation Are Available?

The unemployment insurance (UI) system helps many people who have lost their jobs by temporarily replacing part of their wages. (See "Policy Basics: Unemployment Insurance") The total number of weeks of benefits available in any particular state depends on the unemployment rate and unemployment insurance laws in the state where the person worked. The map below shows the maximum number of weeks of benefits available in each state.
[CENTER][/CENTER]
Workers are eligible for up to 26 weeks of benefits from the regular state-funded unemployment compensation program in all states but Missouri, where recent legislation cut the maximum to 20 weeks for newly unemployed workers.
In the current downturn, workers in any state who exhaust their regular UI benefits before they can find a job can receive up to 34 additional weeks of benefits through the temporary federal Emergency Unemployment Compensation (EUC) program enacted in 2008. That number rises to 53 weeks in states with especially high unemployment rates.
Workers who exhaust their regular UI and EUC benefits can receive additional weeks of benefits through the permanent federal-state Extended Benefits (EB) program if their state’s unemployment insurance laws allow it (see table below).

Last edited by designnewz; 05-09-2011 at 05:02 PM..

Old 05-09-2011, 05:49 PM

9 posts, read 11,882 times
Feedback from Rep. Frank McGruit:

Whoa! Don’t know who your source is but it was NOT the governor who joined these issues together. It was the Republicans in the Senate who did this. Now, we House Democrats with the Governor’s support have petitioned to have the EB portion re-considered but we cannot get any Republicans to join with us so far. PLEASE talk to Republicans and help us get this fixed.
Thanks,

Old 05-09-2011, 05:54 PM

162 posts, read 213,529 times
Adjourned already. Not even 1 full hour in session!

Old 05-09-2011, 06:01 PM

64 posts, read 77,925 times
I called our local news channel WLOS channel 13 and asked them if they would be interested in the story. I was told by a producer that it wasn't "news worthy" for them. After some quick research, I found out that they were owned by the Sinclair Broadcast Group, a Republican owned group. So, sorry, no help from Western North Carolina....Henderson, Buncombe, Rutherford, Transylvania Counties. If any of you would like to try, you can find all of their contact numbers here...http://www.wlos.com/sections/station/#feedback_form]WLOS ABC13 :: Station Info[/url]

I am like most of you, at the end of my rope. I have saved all of my change in a coffee jar, which I believe might add up to $30...my landlord is on my back, which really isn't the least of my worries because I do still have a car. The problem is that my car insurance is going to lapse in 15 days, which means that I can't legally drive it to a parking lot to live in it.

I am 51 years old, a veteran who has served this country and earned an honorable discharge. I am pissed off that our GA won't pass a simple bill.

Last edited by Rangerbob; 05-09-2011 at 06:13 PM.. Reason: update

Old 05-09-2011, 06:03 PM

134 posts, read 173,053 times
ashamed to say I don't have a facebook account. Better get one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina