Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 09:29 AM

28,895 posts, read 54,165,927 times

Advertisements

It's rare and it has more to do with the person without friends.

Friendships require tending and effort. So if someone doesn't have friends, that means they've let them wither and die, or never cultivated them in the first place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 06:15 PM

39 posts, read 215,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PatanjaliTwist View Post
Well, it seems you've already decided to remain friendless. If the process of meeting people is 'boring & useless' to you, then don't bother. You're making a lot of excuses. Of course meeting people begins with a bit of small chat, otherwise, the person has no boundary issues & is telling you their life's story, which would make most run for the hills. Learning about others is a process. One doesn't need to talk about the weather or traffic for 30-min. Most would be bored by that. One gets better at anything with practice.

It doesn't sound as if you want to change your situation, but that you want people to agree with why it is the way it is. With any kind of change, a bit of effort is required, which means moving out of one's comfort zone & doing something different. Seems as if you're bored with yourself & projecting that onto others, making them responsible for your friendless situation. Doing more of the same will bring the same & if that works for you, great, continue. It's a bit unfair to say you'd like it to be different when you feel it's useless to attempt to move forward.

When you want to change your situation, you'll allow yourself the motivation to do it. If we all waited for motivation to appear out of the blue, no one would do anything. It doesn't come on its own. And, if you can't muster up the courage to do it on your own, maybe explore other venues... therapy, self-help books, anything which gives you motivation & makes you feel good. Good luck.
This is the kind of response that I'm afraid I'd get if I offer another look at "small talks" and socialization as an seemingly uninteresting process. Please understand that there are some of us out here on Earth who do not find "small talk" fascinating. Making friends isn't simply just "hey go out" and you'll get friends; you and I have already said this, it takes numerous of things to happen before people become friends. This isn't simply a black-and-white thing, like "oh you didn't try hard enough" or "oh you are too picky" or "just go out and stop talking", where "pulling up by bootstrap" type of "encouragement" will solve a lot of things, sometimes there are just not enough people who can relate to each other, and yes it's just by chance this happens! I hope you understand that just because I have a different perspective and experience during the process of building rapport with others that it just means that I have an unique and individual experience - this isn't a yelling thread. AND I did not once say that I'm against others socializing nor did I say socializing="bad". And just because I'm not interested, by no means am I saying isolation=positive. To be honest, for you to go prancing around over-analyzing and treating the whole thing so pathologically abnormal, I find this behavior to be disrespectful. I don't know, you seem contradictory. Some posts you seem supportive and understanding sounding all encouraging, motivating others to enlarge their social circles, then another post you write stuff like this that doesn't translate UNDERSTANDING. And then people wonder why it's difficult to cultivate a friendship in the making-friend market!
I will say that what's difficult in the process of maintaining and creating friendship is people who make rash judgment, then slam down the person with a stereotype of antisocial, and go on to justify that hostile environment they create, which isn't even conducive to sustain differences, empathy and kindness that are important to a good socializing process.

Quote:
Of course meeting people begins with a bit of small chat, otherwise, the person has no boundary issues & is telling you their life's story, which would make most run for the hills.
You've misrepresented the stuff I wrote about small talks. Small talks can also include openness and enthusiasm to a topic, I'm not talking about boundary issue here. I have never said people don't need boundary by the way. AND there is nothing wrong with people who want to tell you their whole stories on their first meet-and-greet, it's their choice. However, it's not my choice to judge them though.

Last edited by dontfret; 06-06-2014 at 07:15 PM..

Old 06-06-2014, 09:13 PM

2,898 posts, read 6,350,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontfret View Post
I will say that what's difficult in the process of maintaining and creating friendship is people who make rash judgment, then slam down the person with a stereotype of antisocial, and go on to justify that hostile environment they create, which isn't even conducive to sustain differences, empathy and kindness that are important to a good socializing process.
All that you've said indicates why you have such issues making friends. You think expressing an alternate opinion is hostile, disrespectful, picking at you, anti-social, rash, stereotypical, etc. Dear lord woman. Look at the angry words you choose & point them at yourself when that wasn't done... it's how you've interpreted them. No one slammed anyone in this thread, at all. You seem to feel the world is against you. Well, carry on then if that suits you & good luck with that.

Old 06-07-2014, 04:24 PM

39 posts, read 215,334 times
Quote:
All that you've said indicates why you have such issues making friends. You think expressing an alternate opinion is hostile, disrespectful, picking at you, anti-social, rash, stereotypical, etc. Dear lord woman. Look at the angry words you choose & point them at yourself when that wasn't done... it's how you've interpreted them. No one slammed anyone in this thread, at all. You seem to feel the world is against you. Well, carry on then if that suits you & good luck with that.
Lol, angry? Are you ok? Funny thing is, you just did it again with the labeling and rash judgment in this post. I don't know what you can accomplish by twisting my words, but your behaviors and the words you preach are quite contrary to each other.

Also, I don't want to ruin OP's thread, which I think it isn't the OP's intention to have people talk like this. I think the purposes of this forum and this thread are intended for people to safely express their feelings while giving people a chance to explore a topic. Although I wish to have a decent discussion with you, looks like I can't, so yes I can't communicate with you and I'll leave it at that.

Last edited by dontfret; 06-07-2014 at 05:11 PM..

Old 06-07-2014, 05:39 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,025,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

Friendships require tending and effort. So if someone doesn't have friends, that means they've let them wither and die, or never cultivated them in the first place.
what about if all your friends either got married or relocated?

Old 06-08-2014, 06:45 PM

70 posts, read 135,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post

I don't think that's always the case. The fact is, some people just refuse to be friends with certain people, whether it's due to something physical, age, social standing, or what have you. Most people are not like this, but a substantial amount are.

Old 06-16-2014, 01:26 AM

9,007 posts, read 13,841,954 times
I read this thread and i do believe something else is at play nobody brought up yet..

Most of us who have no friends live in NJ,including Romani gypsy,Doll Eyes,me,and one other poster.

I am starting to think its the norm in my state.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:47 AM

552 posts, read 834,884 times
I dont have any friends and i'm in my 30's. Probably the cause of moving cities every 2 years for new jobs. Oh well, at least I know tons of people in other cities.

Old 06-16-2014, 11:28 AM

750 posts, read 1,445,899 times
I am handicapped in my 30's and college educated. In high school had 30 or 40 friends In college I had around 30. Do not drive people had to pick me up. And people did in droves male and females. I was the kind of you could you secrets to. I would never tell a soul. Bail you out of jail or go to church on Sundays. Had friends from all walks of life. People love my company. I moved a few times they married they all faded away.

Old 06-16-2014, 08:26 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,917,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adams_aj View Post
A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move a body. Good thing I don't need any bodies moved!
A friend will bail you out of jail after a "memorable" night.

A good friend would be getting bailed out with you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships