Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 12:14 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,734,327 times

Advertisements

How common is it to not have any friends at all? Is anyone in their 20s or 30s that do not have any friends?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2014, 12:34 PM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
I believe it is extremely uncommon to be totally isolated as a young adult. Elderly people are more likely to find themselves alone, but people in the prime of life are very rarely without any friends at all.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:35 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,129 times
I will be 30 in three weeks, and I don't have any friends. Maybe that's more dramatic than is the case.

I made friends while I was in college through activities and organizations, but after I graduated, I left the region and didn't keep in touch because life hadn't turned out as positive or successful as I had planned, and it's been a source of shame and low self esteem for me. So I lost touch with each of them because I don't like when people know I'm doing badly at life, especially when they're doing so well. I do regret it.

I do have one friend that I speak to regularly, but he's more of a pen pal than anything tangible to me.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:37 PM

2,401 posts, read 3,643,129 times
Rare case I guess.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yiuppy View Post
I will be 30 in three weeks, and I don't have any friends. Maybe that's more dramatic than is the case.

I made friends while I was in college through activities and organizations, but after I graduated, I left the region and didn't keep in touch because life hadn't turned out as positive or successful as I had planned, and it's been a source of shame and low self esteem for me. So I lost touch with each of them because I don't like when people know I'm doing badly at life, especially when they're doing so well. I do regret it.

I do have one friend that I speak to regularly, but he's more of a pen pal than anything tangible to me.

well i don't feel so bad then because I thought I was the only one that dropped all my friends for the same reason.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:46 PM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
I'm 21 and I don't have many friends. By choice. I'm not socially awkward. I just don't care for the crap the "young" people do for fun these days like going to clubs, partying, drinking, and smoking. I never have.

Old 05-28-2014, 12:53 PM

836 posts, read 1,032,204 times
I'm 24 and while I wouldn't say I have NO friends, I certainly do not have a ton of friends. In high school, I had SEVERAL, in college, it dwindled only staying in touch with good friends. Now, a few years after college, I really only have about 5 REALLY good friends that I can count on.

I think it's normal to grow apart from friends as you get older. Your wants/needs change, you move thousands of miles apart, etc. I would think it may be odd to have 0 friends though. Surely, there's SOMEONE you would consider a friend?

Hey at least you don't have to worry about birthday, Christmas, wedding, and baby gifts! ha Should save you quite a bit of money in the long run!

Old 05-28-2014, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harrisce4 View Post
I'm 24 and while I wouldn't say I have NO friends, I certainly do not have a ton of friends. In high school, I had SEVERAL, in college, it dwindled only staying in touch with good friends. Now, a few years after college, I really only have about 5 REALLY good friends that I can count on.

I think it's normal to grow apart from friends as you get older. Your wants/needs change, you move thousands of miles apart, etc. I would think it may be odd to have 0 friends though. Surely, there's SOMEONE you would consider a friend?

Hey at least you don't have to worry about birthday, Christmas, wedding, and baby gifts! ha Should save you quite a bit of money in the long run!

No. I said no friends, not a few, none. That's what I started the thread about but I get what you're saying about them dwindling down after college.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:04 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,846,119 times
I am 28 and have about 5 friends. I choose this though because id rather have a few friends than 30 who could care less.

Old 05-28-2014, 01:40 PM

1,514 posts, read 2,120,474 times
Im 27 and the question of "Do I have friends?" is a hard one to answer. I have made acquaintances over the years that have rarely blossomed into a friendship. Even when they did, it was usually based on the fact that we were at the same place ie..school, work. In all honesty, most of the friends I've ever had, have been people I talked too online. My connections I made with people IRL would almost always fizzle out, but my online connections would still be there. As of right now, I don't hang out with anyone, get calls or call anyone, and do most of my outing on my own. I've always preferred my own company, so It works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships