Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2014, 11:07 PM

750 posts, read 1,445,628 times

Advertisements

We use to joke a good friend will help you move a body. I agree people really are not into being friends unless things are going well for you. I mean all my friends have good jobs married with kids. I wish them well and good health and all that. But it is different when you are handicapped. Your life just gets struck in neutral going nowhere. I work temp work when I can find it. Long bouts of employment wife kids a house. I mean it not going to happen few handicapped marry. Sadly even fewer land jobs. Think about only 17.9% work at all of that maybe 9% work full time. I mean if my friends call what do I talk about? My second round of physical therapy or my bouts of unemployment?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2014, 01:08 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,751,646 times
I guess I have friends, a group of people that my wife knows that we hang out with (out side of us hanging out I rarely hear from them), but I don't really have any friends that I made on my own. I've tried making friends, but it always seemed like it was me trying to put forth the effort to hang out, or converse etc...even with my own family, and facebook, work situations, the only time some one reaches out to contact me is if they need something. I do enjoy me own company, and do consider my self pretty socially ackward, but I'd still like it if someone put the effort out there just say hi every friggen once and a while.

Old 06-18-2014, 06:05 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,685 times
I'm in my mid 30s and never really had friends even in my younger years. I'm very awkward and have always had poor social skills. Sometimes I feel if I'm experiencing what a 90 year old man must feel even though I'm in my 30s. No family, no friends, never had a girlfriend, etc. It don't help that I'm stuck in a semi rural area as I don't have the means to make it in a high COL urban area where there are more social opportunities. I had a short stint at a commuter community college shortly after high school and after that I've had next to no contact with people of my age group.

Living in a small town/suburb/rural area sucks when you're young unless you enjoy that kind of lifestyle. Never getting out of it is something I beat myself up daily about.

Last edited by s1alker; 06-18-2014 at 06:31 AM..

Old 06-19-2014, 10:11 AM

865 posts, read 1,076,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I'm in my mid 30s and never really had friends even in my younger years. I'm very awkward and have always had poor social skills. Sometimes I feel if I'm experiencing what a 90 year old man must feel even though I'm in my 30s. No family, no friends, never had a girlfriend, etc. It don't help that I'm stuck in a semi rural area as I don't have the means to make it in a high COL urban area where there are more social opportunities. I had a short stint at a commuter community college shortly after high school and after that I've had next to no contact with people of my age group.

Living in a small town/suburb/rural area sucks when you're young unless you enjoy that kind of lifestyle. Never getting out of it is something I beat myself up daily about.
I live in a moderately large city, but I've also spent time in small rural communities as well. I tend to face the same problems no matter where I am. I'm not socially equipped to have friends, regardless of how many opportunities or what type of opportunities that I may have.

Old 06-20-2014, 12:22 PM

275 posts, read 332,085 times
I only have one real friend, and she lives abroad. Otherwise my other "friends" are people who call me just to party with them. They're not people I would have a deep conversation with. I kind of wish I had one like that, though.

Old 07-05-2014, 12:49 AM

8,711 posts, read 11,730,395 times
do these other people who don't have friends have twitter, instagram, FB, etc? I don't have any of those things b/c I consider them for people with friends.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:15 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,474,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
do these other people who don't have friends have twitter, instagram, FB, etc? I don't have any of those things b/c I consider them for people with friends.
I have FB, but only use it wish happy birthday for relatives and friends. I could use it to catch up with certain people, which I do every month or 2, but it does feel meaningful without periodic, close contact.

Old 07-05-2014, 03:22 AM

11,366 posts, read 9,279,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
I don't have any of that nor do I want them. I have 6 long term friends and only one of them is on FB. Out of those 6 I see none of them regularly so I'm not far behind you.

Online friends while good is not the same as IRL.
Granted that RL friends can be both but still...

Old 07-07-2014, 06:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,141 times
When I was in my twenties, I had a small group of close friends. We went out a lot and we could talk to each other about anything. Then when I was in my late twenties, I developed agoraphobia and could no longer work. All my friends disappeared. Ten years later, I still do not have any friends. I have been to college in that time and I was friendly with a lot of my classmates. I laughed with them in class often and looked forward to seeing them each week. However, no real friendships formed even after three years of college. Now, I am working again and I like my coworkers but the majority of them are at least ten years younger then me and we have nothing in common. I will be 40 next year and so it is difficult being a single woman at this age because other people my age are busy with husbands and children. I am not too bother by this because I am introverted by nature but I miss having someone to confide in sometimes. I wouldn't feel too bad about not having any friends right now. Have you thought about joining a meetup group? Maybe you can volunteer somewhere, I did a lot of volunteering before I started working again and it was an awesome experience. This is my first time posting on here.. I hope I did this right!

Old 07-07-2014, 07:38 AM

11,366 posts, read 9,279,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakefun22 View Post
When I was in my twenties, I had a small group of close friends. We went out a lot and we could talk to each other about anything. Then when I was in my late twenties, I developed agoraphobia and could no longer work. All my friends disappeared. Ten years later, I still do not have any friends. I have been to college in that time and I was friendly with a lot of my classmates. I laughed with them in class often and looked forward to seeing them each week. However, no real friendships formed even after three years of college. Now, I am working again and I like my coworkers but the majority of them are at least ten years younger then me and we have nothing in common. I will be 40 next year and so it is difficult being a single woman at this age because other people my age are busy with husbands and children. I am not too bother by this because I am introverted by nature but I miss having someone to confide in sometimes. I wouldn't feel too bad about not having any friends right now. Have you thought about joining a meetup group? Maybe you can volunteer somewhere, I did a lot of volunteering before I started working again and it was an awesome experience. This is my first time posting on here.. I hope I did this right!
I'll be the first to welcome you to the board!
I hope it's not another 4 years before you post again. (I noticed your join date)

I think making friends is super tough and even harder when you get older. I'm glad I have a few from when I was younger. As I mentioned I haven't made a new friend in 23 years and I suspect I never will again. A couple of close calls recently ended up to be very disappointing so I have given up. It's just not worth the effort anymore...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships