Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 PM

10,091 posts, read 7,295,153 times

Advertisements

I'm 31.

My friends mostly come from high school and college and are spread around the country. I am an introverted person so I had a small circle of friends.

Where I am now - I have maybe 3-4 people from work that are more than colleagues - ie: I can ask them for favors and not feel guilty, grab a glass of wine at happy hour, go to the sports bar and watch a game. But we rarely if ever hang out at each other's houses or anything.

In college I had spurts where I didn't hang out with many people, then others when I was surrounded by people.

So you could arguably say I have no friends where I live. There is no one I could just call up and say, "hey, let's go hang out." It would have to be arranged well beforehand.

My best friends (2 really close, 1 quite close, and 3 others pretty close - all that I could share feelings with) come from 2nd, 7th, and 11th-12 grade. I never made better friends than that afterwards. for two years during college - the people in my cohort became reasonably good friends that I still occasionally talk to, but not as deep as those earlier ones.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2014, 11:43 PM
SF

286 posts, read 325,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
How common is it to not have any friends at all? Is anyone in their 20s or 30s that do not have any friends?
I am not sure about how common it is but I do know for sure that there are people like that who are well into their 20's and 30's and have no friends

I am in my 20's now. I have never had a friend, I have never made a single true friend or even a friend for that matter in my entire lifetime till now be it online or real life. It's sad but true.

May be I'll never have till the end.May be it will be that way. Not everyone is lucky, not everyone gets what they deserve, life isn't that simple.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:31 PM

7,492 posts, read 11,862,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF View Post
I am not sure about how common it is but I do know for sure that there are people like that who are well into their 20's and 30's and have no friends

I am in my 20's now. I have never had a friend, I have never made a single true friend or even a friend for that matter in my entire lifetime till now be it online or real life. It's sad but true.

May be I'll never have till the end.May be it will be that way. Not everyone is lucky, not everyone gets what they deserve, life isn't that simple.
I feel the same way, it's like if someone handed me a card for my social life, it'd be blank, seriously.

Old 10-04-2014, 05:00 PM

6,319 posts, read 7,266,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
Well, here's what it's like when you get older -

You meet a girl at a bar who is very friendly and nice and smells good and welcomes you with open arms when you see her.

You go to her house to have coffee.

She picks you up from a minor op.

You lend her some money. Just a $20.

She meets some dick online

She starts calling you up and talking about online dick

She borrows another $20

All she ever talks about is online dick so you start avoiding her calls

She starts coming to your house uninvited, sitting down and STAYING, all the while talking about the online dick

You warn her about online dicks

She plans her wedding dress

She gets her heart broken by online dick - finally worked out how to look at someone's facebook and realised she's been played by a peruvian player

She turns up on the doorstep crying

She accidentally mentions the $100 SHE SENT HIM LAST WEEK and expects you to commiserate.

Yes folks, this is the story of my latest "friend".

She's actually quite a nice girl but FFS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Where's my $40??????
Im back
it got worse
Really really worse

Old 10-08-2014, 09:17 AM

128 posts, read 208,676 times
"Raises Hand" I'm one of them. My "Friends" are Pen Pals that live in different states, countries, that I never see, just are friends through letters with. Not the kind that you go out to dinner or a movie with, etc. I still hang out with my favorite cousin about 4 times a year, when we get together and have a party over my house...and there's always my sister. We do everything from Planning trips to planning parties together...My "Best Friend", lives in another state and she was the first pen pal I wrote to. We have a lot in common except the distance between us.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:30 AM

2,079 posts, read 3,217,803 times
do weed dealers count?

Old 10-08-2014, 02:33 PM

14,078 posts, read 16,666,392 times
I probably already responded to this, but I would say I have some acquaintances but no good friends. For instance, a woman who I thought was somewhat of a friend recently started acting fake and phony for no reason. Typical scenario. I've never had strong friendships though even when I was younger, so I guess it's just not my thing.

Old 10-09-2014, 10:38 AM

7,829 posts, read 11,833,463 times
this is common in my age group as I am 40. I have stayed single and all my friends now are married, some who were single moved away from my area so now my friends who have children have no time to hang out and I have 0 friends. Unfortunate but true.

What does one do in this situation?

Old 10-09-2014, 10:55 AM

5,028 posts, read 7,490,278 times
Guys this is so sad IF you want friends.. if you're ok being alone-that's fine.

If you want to make friends... join meetup.com.. it's specifically for people wanting to make friends.
There are various hobbies listed on the website from playing board games to going out for dinner.
best of luck!

Old 10-09-2014, 01:25 PM

1,227 posts, read 2,069,580 times
I made lots of friends in the past through school, but now that I've moved so much in recent years, it's been hard. Still, my husband is my best friend!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships