Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 07:57 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,249,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCollege View Post
I guess a lot of you have never been to the UK? Pub culture is very different there.
It's not just the UK, I'm sitting here completely puzzled as well (Quebec). Apparently some places can't just sit and have a few drinks without making it into a drunkfest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2014, 08:14 AM

3,396 posts, read 7,236,934 times
I think that everyone agrees that young kids shouldn't be in a bar, the issue seems to be how do you define "bar"? In general if a place has a licensed kitchen it's not a bar. Where I live if a place has a liquor license but no kitchen then no one under 21 is legally allowed inside. That makes sense to me - although when I was a kid my grandfather used to take me to old guy bars a lot to watch baseball games (afternoon games only). I always had a blast.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:09 AM

20,779 posts, read 20,094,715 times
Kids should not hang around where people get drunk.

Isn't a bar mainly there for people to consume alcoholic drinks? Why would you show your kids it is okay to drink (alot)?

Why would anybody go in a bar with their kids anyway? It is one of the few kid-free places.

Restaurant - yes. Bar - no.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Depends on the bar. I took my baby... to a bar. It was no big deal.

Do you guys realize it is commonplace to take kids to pubs and the like in European countries?
No, not really. I am from Europe. It is NOT common. Maybe in very few countries.

Old 02-21-2014, 09:15 AM

13,738 posts, read 12,553,417 times
It all depends on the bar, but there are too many shades of gray. For example, my former landlord owned a bar. He watched the grandkids for three hours or so between the end of school and the parents getting off of work. At that particular bar at those hours, I never saw more than eight or nine people in there, mostly older working class townsfolk. Now, the kids were always gone by the time the college crowd came in and got rowdy later on. It was extremely tame when they were there. And yes, the kids did play pool and darts. The freakin 10 year old was a shark...

Old 02-21-2014, 10:11 AM

893 posts, read 889,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastcoasting View Post
Some toddlers don't belong in bars.

Some bars shouldn't have any kids in them.

Some adults don't belong in bars.

Some adults shouldn't be parents.
Pretty much this.

I'm sure some will blanket judge though. I grew up going to bars quite a bit with my dad. some good, some bad. The cigarette smoke was the very worst part about it.

But on the other hand, the cigarette smoke in the truck on the way to the bar and the way home was probably even worse because I couldn't get away at all.....Times have changed for the better in that regard thankfully.

I really don't think a bar is a place for kids. I think in general it says alot about the person if they are regularly bringing a child into a bar and IMO should be frowned upon

WTBS, some bars are different than other bars as far as atmosphere and appropriateness etc. If it's more of an eating establishment or a relaxed type bar where it is casual drinking and not slurring type drunks hanging out I'm fine with that.

The time of day/night is also something to consider.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:18 AM

893 posts, read 889,585 times
My wife is from South Dakota and I remember years ago that underage kids could drink in the bar if they were accompanied by their parents. I'm not sure if that is still the case or not but I was shocked when I first discovered that.

Even then, I can really only recall one time seeing it happen. It was simply allowed but it really wasn't an issue that I ever saw.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,278,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
Kids should not hang around where people get drunk.

Isn't a bar mainly there for people to consume alcoholic drinks? Why would you show your kids it is okay to drink (alot)?

Why would anybody go in a bar with their kids anyway? It is one of the few kid-free places.

Restaurant - yes. Bar - no.
Who says you have to drink "a lot" when you are at a bar? Who says it is not "ok" to drink, in general?

About Us - Lone Tree Brewing Company

"Lone Tree Brewing Company is a European-style craft brewery and tasting room: Small and family friendly, with an emphasis on sampling small handcrafted batch brews and sharing the experience with fellow beer lovers."

If you (collective you) don't know of a "bar" where kids are welcome, maybe you need to get out more.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:17 AM

313 posts, read 498,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav Scout wife View Post
WTF
I agree!

As to bolded, this happens frequently?
Yes, unfortunately it does happen frequently where he works. Both children and pets (mostly dogs) and since it's under guidelines of an establishment that serves beverages, both are not permitted by law.

The bar tenders have to always politely remind guests to not bring their children or pets. He said it has caused lots of arguments (especially of parents that come in already a little drunk) and he never wants to be confrontational or tell people how to parent, but to just cover his butt because it's the law...

Old 02-21-2014, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Who says you have to drink "a lot" when you are at a bar? Who says it is not "ok" to drink, in general?

If you (collective you) don't know of a "bar" where kids are welcome, maybe you need to get out more.
I don't WANT to go in a bar where kids are welcome. A bar is a place where adults can have grown up convesations involving sex and other gross stuff

Lots of people drink ALOT at bars and get drunk. You wanna have your kids exposed to drunk people and teach them it is okay to get shytefaced? There might be women throwing themselves on guys, showing cleavage, there might be alot of touching and grabbing or swearing, slurred speech, just general drunk behavior. Even if you are behaving normal, you always have to calculate that in, if you take your kids to a bar.

There is so many other places kids can go to, you really need to bring them into a bar? What for?

If you take them into a bar during the day, they see the usual/daily alcoholics hanging around there - want your child to see that?

And at night - should a child be out and watch others partying? Not really ...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships