Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2013, 08:26 PM

658 posts, read 1,557,354 times

Advertisements

I want to meet lots of new people, maximize my chances of finding love. But where do I go? What do I do?

Church functions - somewhat of a dead end
Clubs - no good ones around here
Sports - eh
Politics - no political groups around here that share my values (none!)

NOT INTERNET SITES.

There has to me something more specific to meet new people and make new friends in new groups of people.

Last edited by certsevtxert; 01-18-2013 at 09:39 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2013, 09:29 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,793,770 times
There are 544 Meetup groups in Seattle. Surely some of them might interest you.

Go not to meet a dating partner specifically. Go to meet people. You might find a dating partner right off, maybe not.. But remember people have relatives, older people may offspring your age, other people may know other people. The meet people you meet, the more you will be connected to those they know.

The bigger the sea you fish in, the more likely you are to land a good relationship.

Meetups near Seattle, Washington - Meetup

Old 01-18-2013, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
There are 544 Meetup groups in Seattle. Surely some of them might interest you.

Go not to meet a dating partner specifically. Go to meet people. You might find a dating partner right off, maybe not.. But remember people have relatives, older people may offspring your age, other people may know other people. The meet people you meet, the more you will be connected to those they know.

The bigger the sea you fish in, the more likely you are to land a good relationship.

Meetups near Seattle, Washington - Meetup
no, meetup.com is not good.
try something else.

Old 01-18-2013, 11:44 PM

228 posts, read 422,625 times
Welcome to Seattle!

Oh, and welcome to the "Seattle freeze." I've lived here about 8 years now, and I have experienced said phenomenon.

Take Willow Wind's advice and check out a meetup group. It is going to be the easiest way to break through the "freeze" and get people to open up. Unless you manage to meet people born & raised in Washington, most folks are rather, er...frigid.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riotsquirrelz View Post
Welcome to Seattle!

Oh, and welcome to the "Seattle freeze." I've lived here about 8 years now, and I have experienced said phenomenon.

Take Willow Wind's advice and check out a meetup group. It is going to be the easiest way to break through the "freeze" and get people to open up. Unless you manage to meet people born & raised in Washington, most folks are rather, er...frigid.
No, I have not experienced the "Seattle freeze". Not at all. I make friends quite easily. I want MORE friends. I don't want to date anyone I know so I want to branch out. My experience has been that people here are quite WARM.

Old 01-19-2013, 11:14 AM

14,725 posts, read 33,431,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by certsevtxert View Post
No, I have not experienced the "Seattle freeze". Not at all. I make friends quite easily. I want MORE friends. I don't want to date anyone I know so I want to branch out. My experience has been that people here are quite WARM.

Where exactly did you move in from? The North Pole? The most normal and attractive people hit a "thud" in Seattle. My friends: some from work and some from common interest groups, such as languages or ethnic groups. And I didn't have that many. It's better to be laid-back in that market rather than try too hard. The other thing is that, if you enjoy having coffee somewhere, and somebody talks to you, you should ask "What's up with this?" It's usually somebody weird or somebody who is doing MLM. For that, they HAVE to talk to someone. Sad, but true. If you are fortunate to meet someone who is worthwhile talking to in a casual setting, you are lucky.

Old 01-19-2013, 03:51 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,264,174 times
Quote:
I want to meet lots of new people, maximize my chances of finding love. But where do I go? What do I do?

Church functions - somewhat of a dead end
Clubs - no good ones around here
Sports - eh
Politics - no political groups around here that share my values (none!)

NOT INTERNET SITES.

There has to me something more specific to meet new people and make new friends in new groups of people.
You don't seem to have much imagination.

Seattle is a town teeming with cool people. And whatever the interest you might have, there's a group out there of like-minded people. About thirty seconds on Google will find you what you want.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:07 PM

76 posts, read 121,095 times
You don't need to meet LOTS of people. But you do need to meet the right type.

So what are YOUR interests? For example - do you like working out? and would like a girl that has decent good looking body, then join a gym.

Use the same approach for almost anything of interest to you. You can join clubs, organizations, and when you can't pay to join, then do so as part-time job or even a volunteer. If your political interest has no group around, then START ONE.

Old 01-19-2013, 04:45 PM

228 posts, read 422,625 times
Quote:
Well, your post sounded oddly desperate for someone who has so many friends already. I just assumed you were experiencing the "freeze."

Again, I think Willow Wind hit it on the nose with the meetup groups suggestion. You'll meet lots of people, and at least have something in common with them from the beginning. I think BBall covered the rest.

Old 01-19-2013, 06:55 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,431,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You don't seem to have much imagination.

Seattle is a town teeming with cool people.
And whatever the interest you might have, there's a group out there of like-minded people. About thirty seconds on Google will find you what you want.
People are different everywhere one goes and there are collective personalities. Seattleites are cool in the sense of "with it," or thinking they are, but are not that friendly. (The city thread will bear that out. I don't know what's in the water). I would say there are more cool, receptive people in Atlanta. If a person lives in two places back to back, then it's the place ... and not the person. I would be willing to bet this exact same relationship would hold between "Houston or even Dallas: Minneapolis." I had some friends from the friendlier Lower Midwest who moved to Minneapolis, both of whom are professionals, and they hit a "thud," and moved back down to the Ohio River Valley. They are both fit, presentable, unpretentious, and intelligent. They hated it that much.

At any rate, since this is not a geography thread, and some of those venues (bars, churches, sports, politics) don't work for you, the last options are: 1) common interest groups, though Meetup can bring in some strange birds, or taking personal interest classes at night, and 2) friends from work, or friends through friends. Random is also possible, but in Seattle, that might be laughable.

Last edited by robertpolyglot; 01-19-2013 at 07:32 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships