Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2014, 08:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,316,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dissenter View Post
Are the pubs in Europe like the bars here? Trust me, if you see what goes on in bars where I live you wont want an infant anywhere near one.
Obviously I wouldn't take a baby or toddler to a night club or dive bar. A pub or a brewery? Sure. We have a local brewery that provides popcorn and board games for the kiddos.

The OP was too vague. It was clearly done to stir the pot. Most bars I wouldn't take my kids to. Some, though, are fine. So, no, I will not make a blanket statement while clutching my pearls, that toddlers don't belong in bars.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2014, 08:41 PM

3,383 posts, read 6,653,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
It seems to happen a lot in Austin. I'll be at a bar, hanging out with my friends on the patio, smoking cigarettes, talking about buttsex or whatever, and suddenly notice there's a kid with his parents just one table over glaring at me and my friends. I just don't get it.
WTF?! Please tell me you are joking, what kind of worthless subhuman "parent" brings a kid into a BAR?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by krawhitham View Post
Anyone under the age of 21 shouldn't be in a bar in the US. I go to a bar to get drunk and have a rowdy time. I'm not going to be looking out for your 2 foot tall child as I'm stumbling my way to the bathroom, and I'm not going to clean up my language either. There are so many kid-friendly places, why bring your children to a BAR for goodness sake?!

This is also one of my boyfriend's biggest pet peeves, he's a bar tender. He absolutely hates seeing children in bars.
I agree!

As to bolded, this happens frequently?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmachina View Post
Bar = adult establishment.

There is nothing more annoying than sitting in a bar having drinks while toddlers are running around like you're in Romper Room cause their parents would not get a sitter.

The last time this happened, we had 3 toddlers running laps on the stage next to us while two 5-8 year old girls swung laps around the stripper pole...Come on, really?
Seriously?

I just can not wrap my head around this. I mean I just thought the joke in the movie "Sweet Home Alabama" was a Hollywood joke; but you guys are saying this really happens?! WTF?!

:t ape:

Old 02-20-2014, 09:03 PM

13,460 posts, read 15,614,561 times
I don't know about some people, but when hubby and me go to a bar it's be ause we want some nice ADULT time, drinking, and being around fellow adults.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:10 PM

1,107 posts, read 1,461,955 times
Depends on the type of bar. A restaurant w/ a bar (ie: applebees, buffalo wild wings, etc) I think is just fine. They are mainly a restaurant first. However, a place that is JUST a bar? I do not see the point at all.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:23 PM

2,946 posts, read 4,169,297 times
When I lived in a place where I could walk to a pub I took my daughter there all the time. It was generally to have a meal, two pints, and head home. We usually went with our neighbors who also brought their kids.

I would never bring my kids to a shot & beer joint or even a fancy cocktail lounge.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:32 PM

12,858 posts, read 16,969,140 times
Tea toddlers?

Anyway, isn't there a NO ONE UNDER 21 sign on bar doors?

Old 02-20-2014, 10:46 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,244,634 times
I don't think it is the ideal place for toddlers. Certainly not for a long duration IMO. The final decision belongs to the owner/manager at the specific bar.

Old 02-20-2014, 10:49 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,244,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
Tea toddlers?

Anyway, isn't there a NO ONE UNDER 21 sign on bar doors?
Sometimes there is a "Must be 21 years old to legally drink alcohol in this establishment" sign or something to that effect. I seldom see toddlers at actual bars, so hope this thread does not become too contentious as it seldom occurs (in my area anyways).

Old 02-20-2014, 10:58 PM

15,604 posts, read 10,630,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
The moderator moved this post. It was in the Austin forum.

Any suggestions on a better place for it? Someone suggested alcoholic beverages, but I don't think it's beverage-related either.

hm.
Austin and central Texas have a high population of people with German and Czech roots. They came straight from the old county in the mid 1800's and remained a close nit group until recently. It's not uncommon to see children with their parents at the beer gardens and stuff. That might explain some of what you are seeing.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:14 PM

830 posts, read 1,673,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Depends on the bar. I took my baby... to a bar. It was no big deal.

Do you guys realize it is commonplace to take kids to pubs and the like in European countries?
Just wondering, are you counting the UK with Europe?

++++

It's obvious what this OP means... He's not talking about a place where you can sit down and have a meal (a chain or non-chain restaurant) and there happens to be a bar in the same room. I used to go to those kinds of places all the time with my parents. Kids don't belong in an establishment that serves alcohol and little else besides a few soft drinks and salty snacks. I'm thinking a place like Moe's Tavern on "The Simpsons." I don't even think the staff of those bars allow minors to come in at any time, or they shouldn't.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships