Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2014, 01:53 PM

415 posts, read 703,472 times

Advertisements

Reminds me of an occasion when I was a kid. Mom had taken us all (at the time 5 kids under the age of 7) into Baltimore for some kind of appointment and was heading home. We were all tired and hungry so she stopped in a strange neighborhood to get us something to eat. There was a shop advertising hamburgers but she was unfamilliar with the Little Tavern Hamburger chain and didn't want to take a bunch of little kids into a bar. So she left us in the car and went in to get us some food. She came out with a bag of hamburgers and told us what a nice place it was and that they made up the burgers fresh as she waited. She was more afraid of a bar, but today she'd be more criticized for leaving us alone in a car for 10-15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2014, 03:29 PM

2,094 posts, read 3,663,199 times
Agree

Old 02-22-2014, 06:37 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,355,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
I don't consider the list of exclusions real bars.
What is a tasting room if not a bar? They're tasting beer or wine, not food, right? So why would patrons at a place like that want kids underfoot? In addition to considering what is good for the kids, I'm concerned about what is good for the patrons paying to enjoy an establishment. I won't even have dinner in a restaurant anymore before 8 p.m. because I've had WAY too many expensive meals ruined by screaming and/or otherwise badly behaved kids. There are usually still kids in restaurants after 8 but at least the noise level is usually down a bit by then.

I don't even know what an "ice house" is.

Old 02-23-2014, 12:48 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,355,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Who says you have to drink "a lot" when you are at a bar? Who says it is not "ok" to drink, in general?

About Us - Lone Tree Brewing Company

"Lone Tree Brewing Company is a European-style craft brewery and tasting room: Small and family friendly, with an emphasis on sampling small handcrafted batch brews and sharing the experience with fellow beer lovers."

If you (collective you) don't know of a "bar" where kids are welcome, maybe you need to get out more.
My niece, who at 17 is underage herself, is the hostess at a restaurant that also happens to be a brewery. There is a bar (where they don't seat children) and a larger restaurant where they do. Being in a shopping mall, it's a popular place for families. But I looked at your link and that doesn't seem to be what Lone Tree is about. Their website says nothing about food. So it might well be advertised as "family friendly," but what will children be doing there? WATCHING THEIR PARENTS DRINK. Doesn't seem all that inspired by the ever-lauded "family values" if you ask me. I'm sure some of the child-visitors also do nothing at home but watch their parents drink. That isn't right either and I don't know how anyone interested in good parenting could find it defensible.

I know many people who enjoy craft beer in moderation. They get it at places like Lone Tree or they make it themselves. It's a hobby that brings millions a lot of pleasure. I have nothing at all against it. But it is, by the definition of the law, an ADULT HOBBY. Just as there are millions who enjoy good beer in moderation, there are also millions who are alcoholics. They wreak trouble on their families. And millions of people who are most definitely alcoholics delude themselves that they are not by sticking to beer exclusively. It's a story one hears over and over in AA: "How can I be an alcoholic? I only drink beer!"

Just as people who have reached their legal limit are barred from driving, they should not have children in their care. Can we at least agree on that? The Lone Tree Brewing Co. seems like a nice place. I wish its owners success. I also wish they would not encourage people to bring their children to an establishment devoted to the consumption of alcoholic beverages, no matter how tasty and safe in moderation.

Old 02-23-2014, 06:54 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,332,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aguadulce View Post
agree?

Agree! 100%.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:26 AM

88,840 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Ah, Bad Mommy here who had her toddler in a bar quite a few times. It was a real bar, too, not some fancy schmancy place with goofy-named drinks that had fruit in them. I don't think things like apple martinis had even been invented yet. It was a real bar that served decent food at good prices because they really made the money on the alcohol.

The owner was my husband's childhood friend, and he'd bought the bar at 23 (his father and uncle and a brother owned bars, also.) His brother worked there and ran it for him. The friend had four kids, his brother had six. Every Sunday afternoon the bar would be full of the kids of the owners and their bartenders and friends getting french fries and hot dogs or hamburgers. Then the mothers would take the kids and leave and the fathers would stay and watch football and make their calls to the bookies.

My daughter throws this up in my face occasionally. "You brought me into a BAR when I was little!"

Old 02-24-2014, 07:47 PM

88,840 posts, read 85,240,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post
My niece, who at 17 is underage herself, is the hostess at a restaurant that also happens to be a brewery. There is a bar (where they don't seat children) and a larger restaurant where they do. Being in a shopping mall, it's a popular place for families. But I looked at your link and that doesn't seem to be what Lone Tree is about. Their website says nothing about food. So it might well be advertised as "family friendly," but what will children be doing there? WATCHING THEIR PARENTS DRINK. Doesn't seem all that inspired by the ever-lauded "family values" if you ask me. I'm sure some of the child-visitors also do nothing at home but watch their parents drink. That isn't right either and I don't know how anyone interested in good parenting could find it defensible.

I know many people who enjoy craft beer in moderation. They get it at places like Lone Tree or they make it themselves. It's a hobby that brings millions a lot of pleasure. I have nothing at all against it. But it is, by the definition of the law, an ADULT HOBBY. Just as there are millions who enjoy good beer in moderation, there are also millions who are alcoholics. They wreak trouble on their families. And millions of people who are most definitely alcoholics delude themselves that they are not by sticking to beer exclusively. It's a story one hears over and over in AA: "How can I be an alcoholic? I only drink beer!"

Just as people who have reached their legal limit are barred from driving, they should not have children in their care. Can we at least agree on that? The Lone Tree Brewing Co. seems like a nice place. I wish its owners success. I also wish they would not encourage people to bring their children to an establishment devoted to the consumption of alcoholic beverages, no matter how tasty and safe in moderation.
"Yeah, but ya drink it for BREAKFAST..."

Old 02-24-2014, 07:51 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,244,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zepheyr View Post
You sure sound grouchie Kibbiekat.
Inane, vague questions make me grouchy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieA View Post
We are not in Europe. I have a French sil and their 4 kids grew up in establishments that had drinking but it was a different atmosphere and attitude. It wasn't usually with loud music and food was a big part of it. I don't recall them taking them at nighttime that often, or never, really.
The OP didn't say anything about loud music or night time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jukesgrrl View Post

I assure you my husband and I are not alcoholics and enjoy beer in moderation. I can also assure you that we interact with the kids in many ways at home, other than drinking in front of them. As I said earlier, board games and such are provided for kids, and food trucks are at places like this on weekends, so there is food to eat.

I think if the people here who are unfamiliar with this type of establishment, would be surprised at the relatively wholesome atmosphere at places like this. There is less swearing and less cleavage (as a poster wondered about earlier) than at a professional sporting event, for example.

I can count on one hand the number of times we've taken the kids to a tasting room, and I haven't had a drink in a week, yet you think I'm an alcoholic. It is comical, really, that people are on here judging me for going to a place they obviously aren't familiar with.

Last edited by Kibbiekat; 02-24-2014 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 02-24-2014, 08:54 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,376,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AguaDulce View Post
agree?
Agree times a million.

Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 PM

1,566 posts, read 2,164,934 times
This thread reminds me of a time when I was at Chili's and we couldn't get a table in the main dining area, so we settled for a table in the "bar" area...not at the actual bar but a high table w/ chairs. I had my daughter with me and she was about 5 at the time. WELL....half way into our meal a waitress came to my table. She was a mother of another girl my daughter went to school with. She publicly took me to task for having my daughter in the bar area. I really thought it was extreme, none of us were drinking at all. Not everyone around us was drinking either. It just seemed way overreacting. She had a problem with me to begin with which was unfortunate as she didn't know me AT ALL other than our daughters being in the same class together, go figure.. Myself and the people I was with laughed it off as we knew we weren't doing anything wrong. But she sure took it upon herself to tell me how bad I was for taking my daughter to a BAR. Ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships