Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Non-Romantic Relationships
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2014, 08:59 AM

912 posts, read 1,526,448 times

Advertisements

I don't know. Men and women absolutely can be friends, particularly once everyone matures a little bit and moves past college. I, myself, have a number of guy friends with no romantic subtext to the friendship -- I'm also happily married and have been with my husband for seven years. I'm open and honest about who I'm hanging out with, who I'm talking to on the phone, etc. In turn, he trusts me completely -- I've never given him a reason to otherwise.

There's nothing wrong with it -- we could all use a good friend in this world, regardless of marital status.

Now, the one thing I will caution you is to periodically take stock of your own feelings -- make sure that your feelings to her stay platonic, and be honest about it to yourself. Crushes can sneak up on you before you're even aware that there's a possibility for it, and while harmless crushes happen to anyone, they can get tricky sometimes. If you do start to notice more-than-platonic feelings, taking a step back is absolutely necessary.

Old 02-18-2014, 09:41 AM

120 posts, read 287,266 times
Good advice. I'm not going to hang out with her alone again unless the husband is there and it is at the club we go to.

my main concern is what the club is gossiping about. b/c there are a lot of great single women where I go and I do not want to ruin my rep.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:06 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,810,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clemencia53 View Post
Men and women can never be friends, the sex part always gets in the way. From the movie, When Harry Met Sally.

More on the part of men. I've found this to be true. Be careful.

Never say never love, but I guess it depends on the age group. At my age I wouldn't want to be taking my clothes off in front of my male friends That and I think I'd just rather have their friendship. Sex complicates things too much.

Old 02-18-2014, 11:51 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,729,742 times
Why don't you ask her husband what he thinks?

A million years ago when I was single, a friend called and said her friend, a married man, was working in the city I was living in and had tickets to go see Sting. His wife was in the city they lived in and was perfectly fine with the two of us going, because who would want to miss the opportunity, etc. etc. Notably, all my male friends said it was a bad idea. So he and I go to dinner and the concert and everything was above board and we said goodnight and didn't see each other again. However, that did not keep the wife from calling me drunk a couple of weeks later and accusing me of being a ****, etc.

The husband in this picture is the only one who can tell you whether hanging out with is wife is okay or not. He's the one working long hours while she's at the gym and then coming home to find her going out with her guy friend.

Old 02-18-2014, 12:00 PM

12,064 posts, read 10,291,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Never say never love, but I guess it depends on the age group. At my age I wouldn't want to be taking my clothes off in front of my male friends That and I think I'd just rather have their friendship. Sex complicates things too much.
yea, I think that particular problem last happened to me when I was in my early 40s -lol!

The worst part was that people thought that there was something going on - yuck.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:13 PM

12,030 posts, read 9,354,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerous View Post
Nothing is hidden. When the husband calls she tells him that she is hanging out with me. She has suggested that I come over and meet the husband.

She's not someone I work with. She goes to my athletic club, we take some of the classes together.

I dont have a girlfriend.

She doesn't put things off with her husband to hang out with me, but the situation is that the husband works a lot. She has told me that he is never around and when he comes home from work he is burned out to do anything.

I wouldn't feel uncomfortable meeting him. In fact, now that you guys Mention it, I will suggest that she brings him to our club.

I should meet the husband there so that the other members see and understand that nothing is going on. I dont want to risk ruining my rep, in case I meet other single women there
Most affairs start like this. The people involved say: "It just happened, we never intended to do this."

She is using you to meet her emotional needs because her H works long hours.

Sooner or later she will become very horny for you because you are meeting her emotional needs.

And you are fascinated by her because unlike single women she gives you undivided attention and no bullshyte. And you will fall very hard for her because she is unavailable. We always want what we cannot have.

This will be a disaster. I hope the husband does not own a gun.

Old 02-18-2014, 01:41 PM

1,989 posts, read 2,538,370 times
Is she hot?

Old 02-18-2014, 02:22 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,327,049 times
Two words: Emotional affair

Old 02-18-2014, 02:48 PM

49,927 posts, read 60,015,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cancerous View Post

She doesn't put things off with her husband to hang out with me, but the situation is that the husband works a lot. She has told me that he is never around and when he comes home from work he is burned out to do anything.
This is how she is laying the groundwork to approach you about her "feelings that she cannot deny anymore."

You are being EXTREMELY naive.

No more solo meetings. Trust me.

Old 02-18-2014, 03:15 PM

4,721 posts, read 5,317,668 times
Not everyone is unable to control themselves. I have guy friends, and I hang out with them. Their wives and gfs know and sometimes we all hang out. My guy knows, and he doesn't care. Secrets are wrong, but men and women can be friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.