Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2013, 12:32 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,826,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post
I remember seeing this awhile back. Funny stuff, but I did think it was weird how that guy kept complaining about the "Jewish hand" in his pocket. Frankly it sounds like something much more likely to be said by a racist New Yorker than a racist southerner. Where are the Jews here??? I've seen like one synagogue and one Jewish community center here. I never run into any Goldbergs or Weinsteins here and all of the apartment buildings are run by dumb rednecks.

The only Jew I've met here was a black guy who claimed to be a "real Hebrew" and dismissed Ashkenazis as not being real Jews (I'm not going to even get into that............)

So earlier today I was talking to a coworker who's originally from NY but has been down here for like a decade. He said the same stuff I've said here - it's too damn hot, there's no diversity (everybody's either black or white, that's it), transit sucks, etc. Made me feel better about my upcoming move back up north.
I tend not to really concern myself with who is Jewish and who is Catholic, etc, up here. Sure, there are more of each group here vs down South, but I'm really more interested in having good neighbors. Some religious groups here can also be exclusionary and form communities that may not welcome outsiders. Likewise, I'm not too concerned about who is black or white, or gay. As long as the neighborhood is safe and people are friendly and respectful to one another.

There's rednecks here too, in the more rural areas. Some of them are stupid and ignorant and racist, and some are just people who eschew "sophisticated" things and prefer a more rural lifestyle.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2013, 12:57 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,826,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
i guess I'm worried about the whole grass is greener but in reverse. Like am I wanting to move back because things are going nowhere for my husband and I in Raleigh work-wise? Or do I truly miss the snow like I think I do or is it a matter of absence makes the heart grow fonder. Ok, Ok, enough with the proverbs.

What do you miss about Raleigh? What are you so glad to have left behind?
I can relate to this. I lived in Apex for a while and finding work was extremely tight in my field. I was also concerned about what it would be like to find a new job, even if I did find one and it didn't work out. NC is one of the only states that does not allow you to get extended unemployment benefits from the federal government. So, you get 12 weeks of unemployment at a very low rate and that's it. If jobs are tight in your field, you could be in trouble.

So, I would examine the field that you are in and compare that to what the majority of open jobs are in the area. IT, biotech, pharmaceuticals, and health care all seemed quite good there. Other fields seemed stagnant or virtually non existent. Remember, that area is growing so fast that jobs are ultra-competitive.

Weather, traffic, friendliness of the people, lack of community, etc...all take a back seat if you can't put your skills to work and create a life for yourself. Being broke in Raleigh is almost as bad as being broke anywhere else- only the weather is better. And in some cases it worse, because Southern states do not have a safety net, and "right to work" in many cases means exactly the opposite.

Old 09-30-2013, 02:16 PM

10,060 posts, read 12,817,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by White Wine View Post

A Jewish friend from NJ asked me about anti-Semitism in the South and if I encountered (I'm not Jewish, but I guess he thought to ask me anyway). I told him there's not enough Jews here for anyone to be anti-Semitic.
Goldring / Woldenberg Institute of Southern Jewish Life - Welcome!

http://isjl.org/history/archive/archive_mayors.htm

Old 09-30-2013, 04:49 PM

513 posts, read 696,226 times
I moved from MA to Raleigh/Durham, never moved back though. What questions do people have wondering about the south? Some of these responses to the negatives are greatly exaggerated. I am still laughing about the COL being higher in Raleigh than NY!

Old 09-30-2013, 05:22 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,595,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
I moved from MA to Raleigh/Durham, never moved back though. What questions do people have wondering about the south? Some of these responses to the negatives are greatly exaggerated. I am still laughing about the COL being higher in Raleigh than NY!
Laugh all you want; the COL in Raleigh is in fact higher than in most of Upstate NY. "NY" doesn't only refer to the NYC area

Old 09-30-2013, 05:43 PM

513 posts, read 696,226 times
Never lived in Rochester, but COl calculator gave me the following info comparing Rochester to Raleigh NC.

Price difference in Raleigh, NC
Groceries8%more
Housing28%less
Utilities8%more
Transportation13%less
Health Care5%less

Housing is the most expensive bill anyone will have and it is 28% cheaper in Raleigh. Also, Raleigh is the capital of the state. The capital is usually more expensive than smaller cities/towns.

Old 09-30-2013, 06:52 PM

93,413 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J.M.M View Post
Never lived in Rochester, but COl calculator gave me the following info comparing Rochester to Raleigh NC.

Price difference in Raleigh, NC
Groceries8%more
Housing28%less
Utilities8%more
Transportation13%less
Health Care5%less

Housing is the most expensive bill anyone will have and it is 28% cheaper in Raleigh. Also, Raleigh is the capital of the state. The capital is usually more expensive than smaller cities/towns.
Here's a comparison for arguably the most affluent communities in both metros: Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed
Look at the median home price for both Wake County, NC and Monroe County NY too. Wake County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Monroe County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Here is information on arguably the second most affluent communities in both areas: Brighton CDP QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Apex (town) QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

Also, Rochester is still a metro with over 1 million people. So, it isn't much smaller in terms of metro size.

Last edited by Yac; 10-10-2013 at 06:32 AM..

Old 09-30-2013, 07:49 PM

Property taxes and winter utility bills are the ONLY thing that have been more expensive here than in NC (I'm actually surprised that whatever COL calculator you used said that utilities are higher in Raleigh; water is higher rate but that's about it)

I lived in North Raleigh, Cary, South Raleigh, and Apex. House I currently own in suburban Rochester is slightly larger than the last one we owned in South Raleigh (off Tryon and Lake Wheeler). Purchase price was 30k less. Even with the higher taxes, monthly payment is still less here. No HOA's and much lower homeowners insurance here and lower grocery costs are the most notable differences we see monthly.

You trust your COL calculator, I'll trust my bank account.

FWIW our COL is only marginally lower in Rochester than Raleigh and I wouldn't consider it a real factor in us moving back. We weren't scraping to get make ends meet by a long shot...Raleigh certainly isn't "cost prohibitively" expensive; but it isn't the bastion of affordability for everyone that it is for folks from expensive areas like the suburbs of NYC, Boston, DC, the West Coast, and South Florida.

Last edited by just_sayin'; 09-30-2013 at 07:59 PM..

Old 09-30-2013, 07:57 PM

19,220 posts, read 17,102,322 times
All these continueing arguements over COL in Raleigh versus upstate. Even if its a wash Raleigh has been a major employment draw for the last 20+ years I can't think of one upstate city that can make that statement.

And please don't post every random job listing currently available.....

Old 09-30-2013, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
All these continueing arguements over COL in Raleigh versus upstate. Even if its a wash Raleigh has been a major employment draw for the last 20+ years I can't think of one upstate city that can make that statement.

And please don't post every random job listing currently available.....
That doesn't seem to really be helping this poster; to whom I was responding....

Quote:
Originally Posted by claud605 View Post
i guess I'm worried about the whole grass is greener but in reverse. Like am I wanting to move back because things are going nowhere for my husband and I in Raleigh work-wise? Or do I truly miss the snow like I think I do or is it a matter of absence makes the heart grow fonder. Ok, Ok, enough with the proverbs.

What do you miss about Raleigh? What are you so glad to have left behind?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York