Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2013, 05:50 AM

4,409 posts, read 6,559,531 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the difference in weather is the length of the heat and humidity. Its the same way with how people view winter up here.

As for the costs, it depends on what you compare, but overall COL for Upstate in comparison to even the South and Midwest is pretty much the same.

Jobs will depend more on what a person can/will do versus just a metric like unemployment rate. So, it seems like it is more about your skills/education matching openings for industries in a market.
Amen to that. There may be a week or two of misery in the north during summer, but it's on for months here. XD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2013, 07:04 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,606,922 times
Personally, I'd rather be cooped up during the winter than during the summer. Summer is when the kids are out of school and when most recreation areas are open...but if it's so hot and miserable all day until the sun sets, you don't really get to enjoy that. Things tend to slow down during winter anyways, even in the south. Unless you are in South Florida; most of the south still doesn't have "Beach weather" during the winter. Summer is the time of year that is meant for being outdoors; and at least for many people, the more persistent heat and humidity down south makes that much harder.

Old 08-03-2013, 04:48 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,218,613 times
I really like the Shenandoah Valley, western NC, and East Tennessee but the summers there would be too hot for me. I can take 90s for a week. I can't take them for a long stretch. I spent a summer in Lincoln, NB when I was younger, and just couldn't abide day after day of 90-100 degree temps and it never getting below the 80s at night.

I can deal with snow and cold, and when it's gray outside, I don't mind staying indoors, but when the sun shines, I want to be outside, and when it's too hot, you can't do that.

Old 08-04-2013, 04:11 AM

11,879 posts, read 5,856,576 times
Personally, as I've aged, I've grown to dislike winter. The first snowfall is beautiful - but after that the driving in snow, walking in mush and gray skies for 4+ months - kills it for me. To find a place with little or no snowfall and away from the water so I don't have to deal with the high humidity would be great. Everyone is different and since I'll probably be working at least part-time in an air conditioned office, after we move - I wouldn't be able to enjoy the outdoors anyway until the evenings.

Old 08-04-2013, 07:30 AM

2,909 posts, read 4,277,881 times
Age does have that effect.

I swear to god I can't recall a single unpleasant thought about cold until age 30.

From 30-40 maybe a thought about the cold from time to time but not really a big deal.

From about 40 on every single year the cold hurts more and more. In summer I have zero joint pain. In winter I live in agony every minute. Doesn't take a rocket surgeon to find the cause.

Old 08-07-2013, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 1,747 times
Default seperate proms

There are definitly highschools that have sepetate proms for blacks & whites its terrible!
Mtv did a reality show of the students and alot of racist parents who demand to hsve the proms sepetate.
Morgan freeman paid for the students to have the very first prom for both students to attend but there were many white parents that objected
And still had a white prom

Old 08-08-2013, 04:43 AM

11,523 posts, read 14,682,929 times
I think many parts of Northeast are uptight, kinda closed-minded, to themselves. That type of personality or response to things doesn't lead to integrating to other regions very well. Other personality traits as well don't integrate well. Not every area has it, but seems to be prevalent. Insular behaviors don't integrate well, either. Seems like other regions go with the flow moreso, but the Northeast is in a time warp of the past, IMO. Not the major metro's, but the smaller metro's/areas for sure.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:08 AM

19,280 posts, read 17,158,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherbabygirl85 View Post
There are definitly highschools that have sepetate proms for blacks & whites its terrible!
Mtv did a reality show of the students and alot of racist parents who demand to hsve the proms sepetate.
Morgan freeman paid for the students to have the very first prom for both students to attend but there were many white parents that objected
And still had a white prom
I think you are refering to only one school, I remember the story. Do you know of any others or are we formulating an opinion on 1 example?

Old 08-08-2013, 05:19 AM

93,780 posts, read 124,493,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I think you are refering to only one school, I remember the story. Do you know of any others or are we formulating an opinion on 1 example?
There are/were schools in GA and MS that did have that in very recent years. It is something that occurred in other Southern states within the last 20 years or so, but has been steadily declining. So, while it may not be throughout the South, it has and may still occur in recent years.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:29 AM

93,780 posts, read 124,493,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanny Goat View Post
I think many parts of Northeast are uptight, kinda closed-minded, to themselves. That type of personality or response to things doesn't lead to integrating to other regions very well. Other personality traits as well don't integrate well. Not every area has it, but seems to be prevalent. Insular behaviors don't integrate well, either. Seems like other regions go with the flow moreso, but the Northeast is in a time warp of the past, IMO. Not the major metro's, but the smaller metro's/areas for sure.
In a way, I think it is the opposite in terms of those from smaller Northeastern metros are willing to integrate or become a part of Southern culture more. I think it depends more on if people do their research and find a place where they are comfortable living in.

A lot of times, people from up here move to the same places or types of places. So, you end up getting what amounts to neighborhoods or communities that are just a Northeastern version of a Southern community.

I also think that this may vary by race and not necessarily in a bad way. Meaning, if you are a Black person from the Northeast, you may only be a generation removed from the South and may have even gone Down South many times during your childhood. So, a person like that is probably more apt to adjust, if they even have to, all things considered versus someone of another background who may not be as familiar with the culture in the South. This isn't cut and dry, but I think it is an aspect that could be considered, among others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York