Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2013, 07:43 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiking fishing View Post
After reading this post I would like to ask a couple of questions. If the majority of you're family lived in North Carolina would you have moved back ? Are your children living in Rochester ? If any, what do you miss about North Carolina ? Do you regret the experience ?
If the majority of my family lived in NC I assume that means I would have been born there and if that were the case; no I would not have relocated to Rochester. My oldest two kids are in Upstate NY; son went to school at Alfred and graduated not long ago and daughter is currently at Syracuse; youngest is only 10 so still living at home with us. Don't miss much about NC except for the spring weather and closer proximity to the ocean. But we also don't regret moving down there for a while as it was a good experience to live somewhere else and gain perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2013, 08:46 PM

2 posts, read 12,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_sayin' View Post
If the majority of my family lived in NC I assume that means I would have been born there and if that were the case; no I would not have relocated to Rochester. My oldest two kids are in Upstate NY; son went to school at Alfred and graduated not long ago and daughter is currently at Syracuse; youngest is only 10 so still living at home with us. Don't miss much about NC except for the spring weather and closer proximity to the ocean. But we also don't regret moving down there for a while as it was a good experience to live somewhere else and gain perspective.
No that is not what I would assume. Plenty of times when a family relocates to another part of the country, other family follows. As if this was the case, would you have still moved back if you're family had not ?

Old 07-15-2013, 08:58 PM

24,109 posts, read 32,460,014 times
I have no idea why anyone would move down south. The South has not changed. There is no "New South" - that was just a marketing ploy to lure big businesses. The South is a place on par with a third world country in it's treatment of workers.

The South is the same as it ever was. Any doubts? Check recent news events.

They do not like Northerners either. They call the Civil War "The War of Northern Aggression". WTH?

My cousin moved down their 25 years ago from Huntington. When her daughter married a local boy she met at Clemson University, the MIL broke down crying because her son had married a "Yankee".

I left Long Island and I'm happy in Ohio. Move south? NEVER!

Old 07-15-2013, 09:12 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,540,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I have no idea why anyone would move down south. The South has not changed. There is no "New South" - that was just a marketing ploy to lure big businesses. The South is a place on par with a third world country in it's treatment of workers.

They do not like Northerners either. They call the Civil War "The War of Northern Aggression". WTH?

My cousin moved down their 25 years ago from Huntington. When her daughter married a local boy she met at Clemson University, the MIL broke down crying because her son had married a "Yankee".

There are a lot of southerners who are bigoted and stupid, but there are a lot of northerners like that too.

It's not any better for a northerner to belittle and generalize the south as it is for a southerner to demonize and generalize the north.

I can tell you that no matter where you live, there will always be idiots and problems. Not just the south. I can also tell you that for every southerner who waves the stars and bars and screams "Kill the Yankees" there is a handfull of southerners who don't care. Times are changing and the young people are much more accepting and free of old time bias.

Especially now that the internet brings so many of my age group and down together. I have friends all over the country and none of us care who's a Yankee or not.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:55 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,197,833 times
In regards to Sheena's and Cookie's posts, I think that part of the issue comes from the fact that many people from other parts of the country who move to the South tend to settle in pricey new developments where they have very little interaction with local people except for store clerks, waitresses, or other service people. At least that's what it appeared to me when I visited a good friend who owns a home in Murrell's Inlet, SC.

She's had that house for 8 years, and she knows no one who doesn't live in her development, and as far as I could tell, nobody in that development is a native South Carolinian. The people who live there full time don't seem much better; even the church her friends go to seems to be overwhelming (or maybe totally) transplants!

Unlike my friend and her friends, I spent some time exploring places that weren't on the main road between point a and point b. Most people in the South Carolina Low Country aren't very well off; Long Island, Jersey or Connecticut it's NOT! Murrell's Inlet is south of Myrtle Beach, so it's a tourist area with lots of low wage, no benefit service sector jobs. Most of the rural people are blacks, and the land most of these developments are built on used to be farmed by blacks, either as owners or tenants. Much of the rural housing, whether belonging to blacks or whites, consists of old, ramshackle single-wide trailers that I best describe as "pitiful". I grew up near the Cattaraugus Indian Reservation, and housing there was pretty bad, but this was worse. Even in East Tennessee, the trailers on the back roads weren't as bad as in SC's Low Country.

This was all very disturbing to me because I can empathize with the local South Carolinians. Many of them can't afford to live in their own communities any more. Even if they're well off and own their homes, they see their communities being invaded and over run by hordes of transplants who look down their noses at most aspects of Southern culture and condescendingly think the rest of it is "quaint". It would certainly breed resentment of "Yankees" in me.

PS -- I fell in love with the vernacular Low Country farmhouse architecture which features single story homes surrounded by wide wrap around porches. Why anyone would live in a development full of cookie-cutter ranch houses is beyond me, especially when they could build homes in the local style!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:18 AM

93,280 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
In regards to Sheena's and Cookie's posts, I think that part of the issue comes from the fact that many people from other parts of the country who move to the South tend to settle in pricey new developments where they have very little interaction with local people except for store clerks, waitresses, or other service people. At least that's what it appeared to me when I visited a good friend who owns a home in Murrell's Inlet, SC.

She's had that house for 8 years, and she knows no one who doesn't live in her development, and as far as I could tell, nobody in that development is a native South Carolinian. The people who live there full time don't seem much better; even the church her friends go to seems to be overwhelming (or maybe totally) transplants!

Unlike my friend and her friends, I spent some time exploring places that weren't on the main road between point a and point b. Most people in the South Carolina Low Country aren't very well off; Long Island, Jersey or Connecticut it's NOT! Murrell's Inlet is south of Myrtle Beach, so it's a tourist area with lots of low wage, no benefit service sector jobs. Most of the rural people are blacks, and the land most of these developments are built on used to be farmed by blacks, either as owners or tenants. Much of the rural housing, whether belonging to blacks or whites, consists of old, ramshackle single-wide trailers that I best describe as "pitiful". I grew up near the Cattaraugus Indian Reservation, and housing there was pretty bad, but this was worse. Even in East Tennessee, the trailers on the back roads weren't as bad as in SC's Low Country.

This was all very disturbing to me because I can empathize with the local South Carolinians. Many of them can't afford to live in their own communities any more. Even if they're well off and own their homes, they see their communities being invaded and over run by hordes of transplants who look down their noses at most aspects of Southern culture and condescendingly think the rest of it is "quaint". It would certainly breed resentment of "Yankees" in me.

PS -- I fell in love with the vernacular Low Country farmhouse architecture which features single story homes surrounded by wide wrap around porches. Why anyone would live in a development full of cookie-cutter ranch houses is beyond me, especially when they could build homes in the local style!
Good points and like I've mentioned before, the people that move South move to what seems like a handful of communities/states. So, many don't get to see what you described. My mom is from Marion County SC and what stated is true, as there are counties in that part of the state that have around 25% of the people living in poverty.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Good points and like I've mentioned before, the people that move South move to what seems like a handful of communities/states. So, many don't get to see what you described. My mom is from Marion County SC and what stated is true, as there are counties in that part of the state that have around 25% of the people living in poverty.
It's like there are two worlds developing in some parts of the South, one local and mostly poor/working or lower middle class and the other transplanted and significantly richer. Maybe that happens in other rapidly expanding metros as well, but I don't think the cultural and economic differences between the locals and the newcomers are quite so marked in most areas.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:31 PM

3,092 posts, read 4,969,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Wow, you can't be serious. Generalizations much?

I would go on a long, preachy post telling you why your beliefs are not the case, but that would be a waste of time, obviously.

I'd say you're being just as bigoted and intolerant as you would claim most southerners are. And this is coming from a young African-American that votes Democrat.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:23 PM

The only reason that I couldn't move South is that I don't like hot weather. I wouldn't move to Arizona or Southern Cal for that reason, either.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:59 PM

4,317 posts, read 4,205,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTHORNS96 View Post
Wow, you can't be serious. Generalizations much?

I would go on a long, preachy post telling you why your beliefs are not the case, but that would be a waste of time, obviously.

I'd say you're being just as bigoted and intolerant as you would claim most southerners are. And this is coming from a young African-American that votes Democrat.
UTHORN accuses Sheena who accuses Southerners who accuse Northerners of bigotry. Talk about circle-jerk. But why does being black and voting democrat needs to enter into the equation?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York