Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2013, 07:39 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,217,831 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troll Locator View Post
All this information gathered by just visiting a friend. I'm pissing my pants. I believe I know your real screen name. .
I have a MA in American history. Some people watch The Sopranos or American Idol or reading murder mysteries. I enjoy reading history and poking around geneology and demographia. I probably knew more about South Carolina's history before I went down there than my friend who's lived there off and on for several years, and I read more about it when I returned.

What does it matter to you anyways? I said it was my opinion. You don't like it, feel free to give your own.

And I don't have any other screen name. In fact, I use this screen name on all of the MB I belong to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 07:41 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,217,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
UTHORN accuses Sheena who accuses Southerners who accuse Northerners of bigotry. Talk about circle-jerk. But why does being black and voting democrat needs to enter into the equation?
I think he's pointing out that not all Southerners are white conservatives worshipping the Lost Cause.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:52 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,979,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry10 View Post
UTHORN accuses Sheena who accuses Southerners who accuse Northerners of bigotry. Talk about circle-jerk. But why does being black and voting democrat needs to enter into the equation?
You seem like a smart guy. I'll let you figure that out.

Old 08-01-2013, 12:45 PM

11,877 posts, read 5,854,215 times
What's not to understand? Uthorn said it perfectly. We've vacationed a lot down south and my son is relocated to Birmingham Ala this week. I've found people in the South to be very accepting and gracious. I've never been accused of bigotry and have found Southerners more than helpful. Maybe the Northerners being accused of bigotry act like their too good for everyone else.

Old 08-01-2013, 09:27 PM

137 posts, read 218,827 times
Im from the Hudson Valley and we're beginning to plan our escape to Shenandoah Valley,Virginia.

Seems like alot of the discussion involves the Carolinas. I havent spent alot of time there, but have visited SC. We spent time in the Spartanburg and Charlestown and I though the people were a nice as can be. We were there during the bad January blizzard a couple years ago, and except for everyone asking the guy in the Yankees hat (Me) if he brought the snow down with him, I dont have anything negative to say about the people I met( I have a fiend who I grew up with who moved to SC and couldnt be happier).

No problem with cops or pullovers. I actually found myself driving slower down there.

I've lived in Florida and NJ briefly in my younger years, but other than that have pretty much been in lower NY my whole life. I cant take the congestion anymore. Im also sick of the long winter months, taxes, stupid laws and high COL. I cant imagine jobs being any scarce than they are here... this is a HIGHLY educated area... you have people working in NYC, Rockland, White Plains, Newburgh, Poughkeepsie, Northern NJ... the competition here is brutal.

Anyway I just want peace and quiet. A geothermal home, some land for some animals like chickens, a large greenhouse, less congestion, less taxes, less stress... still get 4 seasons but with less snow. We're taking our first trip down in 3 weeks and Im looking foward to getting out of NY.

I was born in the Bronx and grew up in Orange County. I dont wear that Yankees hat anymore. Im really kind of disgusted with this state and just dont want any part of it anymore (Paid $4.10 per Gallon today). I may even start watching football again when I go down as Ive always been a Redskins fan and hated the Giants.

Last edited by Scorpio1969; 08-01-2013 at 09:58 PM..

Old 08-01-2013, 09:55 PM

I also dont quite get a couple complaints...

About the heat being unbearable and having to spent summer indoors w/ AC - most NYers spend Jan-April indoors doing nothing, so whats the difference in you spend 3 months in winter inside or 3 months during the summer? At least June-Aug you dont have to worry about driving in bad weather conditions and constantly plowing getting yourself out of snow.

Also NY heat can be just as bad a Florida heat. The heat wave we just had here sucked.

Old 08-02-2013, 03:31 AM

11,877 posts, read 5,854,215 times
Scorpio-I have to agree with you. From outside Buffalo NY here but we had over a week of 90+ degree weather here and with the high humidity, I said to my husband that this was worse than when we vacationed in Vegas when it hit 116 degrees. We're also looking to move after retirement - finances permitting and have enjoyed Kentucky and Tennessee when we have traveled.

NY may have low housing costs but figure in all the state taxes and it's really a wash when comparing it to other areas outside the state. Our economy is horrible and jobs are not easy to find. Have fun on your trip! I hope you find what you're looking for!

Old 08-02-2013, 05:36 AM

93,737 posts, read 124,459,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
Scorpio-I have to agree with you. From outside Buffalo NY here but we had over a week of 90+ degree weather here and with the high humidity, I said to my husband that this was worse than when we vacationed in Vegas when it hit 116 degrees. We're also looking to move after retirement - finances permitting and have enjoyed Kentucky and Tennessee when we have traveled.

NY may have low housing costs but figure in all the state taxes and it's really a wash when comparing it to other areas outside the state. Our economy is horrible and jobs are not easy to find. Have fun on your trip! I hope you find what you're looking for!
I think the difference in weather is the length of the heat and humidity. Its the same way with how people view winter up here.

As for the costs, it depends on what you compare, but overall COL for Upstate in comparison to even the South and Midwest is pretty much the same.

Jobs will depend more on what a person can/will do versus just a metric like unemployment rate. So, it seems like it is more about your skills/education matching openings for industries in a market.

Old 08-02-2013, 07:03 AM

19,281 posts, read 17,154,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio1969 View Post
Im from the Hudson Valley and we're beginning to plan our escape to Shenandoah Valley,Virginia.
Welcome to Virginia! You are picking a really nice area with alot of great communities.....

Old 08-02-2013, 05:49 PM

^ Thanks. Looking forward to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York