Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-27-2013, 02:03 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
@ss20ts, agreed about Geneva. Ithaca will also have two groups above ten percent soon...also, obviously there is some minorities in Cobleskill. But in these smaller towns, a small representation basically equals no culature. As @ck pointed out, this is the presence versus culture argument. A town with only 4,000 people that is 88% white has no room for any measurable amount of minority culture. That much isn't even debatable. Because my statement was never that I didn't see any minorities there (I saw, like, 2). It was that there isn't any minority cultural offerings there. Schoharie is white bread. Lol I cant't even believe you'd try to argue otherwise...
All I know about bread is how to make it from scratch and eat it.

My point was - and I said it - that Cobleskill is a white community. I said you would see minorities, but not many. When only 13% of the population is a minority, then you're not going to see hundreds of people of a specific race. Often times, people tend to stick together so you may have to go to a specific street or part of town where a particular race has located to. This occurs in both small and large cities/towns.

If it's culture you're after, then organize to create it. How do you think museums, churches, etc happen? People organize and get together. People have to be interested. In a town, with 20 black people and 2 Asians, you're not going to have a black and Asian community center. Heck, you probably won't even have a white community center in a small town. Then again, around here we don't build community centers or most things for specific races. We build them for all people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2013, 03:14 PM

93,454 posts, read 124,120,588 times
murk, I'm just curious, why would Syracuse be your only choice in terms of the bigger Upstate NY cities? I ask this because Rochester and Buffalo as cities are on par with cities you are use to and they both have suburban schools that would fit your criteria. For instance, I could see a suburban school district like Rush-Henrietta fitting due to the make up of its schools(especially Fyle and Crane Elementary Schools) and the achievement/graduation rates for all groups are high(high 80's-mid 90's grad rates). If saw the make up of their Football and Basketball teams, which have produced D1 talent in recent years, you would think it was that of a suburban Southern school. East Irondequoit schools also outside of Rochester is similar, but has a relatively decent Hispanic student population and has schools that fit your criteria. In the Buffalo area, certain areas of Amherst and Cheektowaga would or could fit too.

Old 06-27-2013, 04:01 PM

7,840 posts, read 9,206,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
The Farmer's Museum in Cooperstown is excellent! I love that place. I haven't been to the Village in Genesee yet.

Maybe Canada gave them tax incentives we wouldn't. Still irks me when they make moves that are supposed to be set in a place and they film it elsewhere. REALLY irks me when they film it in a another country.
At least they didn't shoot it on a movie lot in Southern California that you saw in dozens of other movies like they used to do!

Old 06-27-2013, 05:38 PM

5,838 posts, read 5,642,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
murk, I'm just curious, why would Syracuse be your only choice in terms of the bigger Upstate NY cities?
Ah man, I really don't know how to answer that. I told you at an earlier time that Syracuse reminds me of a smaller, northern version of Richmond, and maybe thats my internal attraction to it. I absolutely love Destiny, I was there last month....

While living in a diverse area is important to me, I don't have to live in "the" most diverse cities. Buffalo is not attractive to me, if only for the fact that it is STILL losing jobs and population, while Syracuse and Rochester are close to bottoming out and gaining again at some point in the near future. And besides Elmira-Corning, Buffalo is the only city in this entire state where I have relatives, but I have no desire to live there. New York isn't even on my radar; I've become an "honorary" Upstater, so I would never want to reside in the City....because there are so many (many!) people in the Southern Tier with ties to Rochester, whether as natives/former residents/family there, I've gotten to know many people from there, and I guess it's lost its allure to me. I have a homegirl in Albany, and while I like it there, it is too far east and not as Upstate as I would like. People there seem to believe that they are like the boroughs, and seem to model themselves after people from the City...

Ideally, I'd eventually like to be back home in VA or DC, the two most important places in my heart. I'm an urbanite, and once I leave here, I will never live in a small city again. Interestingly, there is a possibility of me moving to Charlotte at some point in the near future. The details are very sketchy, and right now it is less than a 50/50 chance, but I should be hearing more within the next month or so about that possibility. And that is not a city I adore as much as Syracuse, nor a city I hold in high regard to other cities I've been--but I do like it there, and unquestionably would offer the urban environment and things I like to enjoy more than any city in this state besides "The" City....

Old 06-27-2013, 06:02 PM

4,321 posts, read 4,210,606 times
I have no proof whatsoever, but I think it is not the Cities where the differences between South and North are as pronounced. IMO -- it is in the rural areas. It sounds logical to me.

Second: I think politics and political mindset plays a role into South vs North debate.

And third: some people go South and stay happy, and some come back up North, for a wide variety of reasons. And many returnees seem to have lived in the South surburbs, no?

Old 06-27-2013, 07:14 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,634,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
At least they didn't shoot it on a movie lot in Southern California that you saw in dozens of other movies like they used to do!
OMG!! That drives me up a freaking wall!!! Love when they use fake grass because you know there's a shortage of grass in this country!

Old 06-27-2013, 08:33 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,320,731 times
I guess there are people that think they can bring their own culture down South too and quickly become uncomfortable. Or those that don't do any in-depth research on an area before they move. I guess those are #5 and #6, but these people are just plain dumb anyway and really aren't worth the time.

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 06-27-2013 at 09:04 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 08:36 PM

15 posts, read 28,429 times
I moved from the Charleston, S.C., area.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:49 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,320,731 times
Although I think both of those , #5 and #6, could possibly be placed under the one with the jagged personality (#3).

But being a psychologist, it is funny to see people pretend like they didn't move for the reasons I mentioned. The lack of insight into personal decisions is hilarious.

Last edited by rorytmeadows; 06-27-2013 at 09:05 PM..

Old 06-27-2013, 09:44 PM

93,454 posts, read 124,120,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Ah man, I really don't know how to answer that. I told you at an earlier time that Syracuse reminds me of a smaller, northern version of Richmond, and maybe thats my internal attraction to it. I absolutely love Destiny, I was there last month....

While living in a diverse area is important to me, I don't have to live in "the" most diverse cities. Buffalo is not attractive to me, if only for the fact that it is STILL losing jobs and population, while Syracuse and Rochester are close to bottoming out and gaining again at some point in the near future. And besides Elmira-Corning, Buffalo is the only city in this entire state where I have relatives, but I have no desire to live there. New York isn't even on my radar; I've become an "honorary" Upstater, so I would never want to reside in the City....because there are so many (many!) people in the Southern Tier with ties to Rochester, whether as natives/former residents/family there, I've gotten to know many people from there, and I guess it's lost its allure to me. I have a homegirl in Albany, and while I like it there, it is too far east and not as Upstate as I would like. People there seem to believe that they are like the boroughs, and seem to model themselves after people from the City...

Ideally, I'd eventually like to be back home in VA or DC, the two most important places in my heart. I'm an urbanite, and once I leave here, I will never live in a small city again. Interestingly, there is a possibility of me moving to Charlotte at some point in the near future. The details are very sketchy, and right now it is less than a 50/50 chance, but I should be hearing more within the next month or so about that possibility. And that is not a city I adore as much as Syracuse, nor a city I hold in high regard to other cities I've been--but I do like it there, and unquestionably would offer the urban environment and things I like to enjoy more than any city in this state besides "The" City....
I can completely see what you are talking about. If you did move here, I think you would like something like Westcott or some of the nearby East Side neighborhoods. Perhaps areas like the South Valley or some of the Strathmore neighborhood.

I have a sibling that lives in the University City area of Charlotte and seems to like it. So, it may not be too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York