Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-13-2013, 08:49 AM

19,256 posts, read 17,124,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by therottingsouth View Post
Don't move to the South....you will regret it, I moved to Tn from beautiful Southwest 4 years ago and regret it.
Women in the south have 5 to 10 children that just run a muck, all of them seem like they come from a very small gene pool, most are addicted to drugs, on food stamps and state assistance. And every other 15 year old girl you see is pregnant with her 2 or third child...good grief!
The locals are prejudice and ignorant. They have no respect for the environment at all. The farmers are constantly spraying toxic chemicals everywhere, including near elementary schools. Crop dusters fly recklessly over residential areas spraying homes, cars, livestock, pets and anything in their path, if you call the police or the environmental agency in the south they do absolutely NOTHING, good old ignorant selfish boy mentality.
I have now listed my home for sale to get the hell out of the south and head back to the beautiful Southwest mountains.
Let them have at it, the brain cancer will eventually get them all from all the chemicals they use in the South.
Real incitefull, you can take these broad generalizations and apply them everywhere from NY to New Mexico.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2013, 03:21 PM

3 posts, read 10,134 times
I've enjoyed reading through this thread as much of what has been said rings familiar. I'm a Hispanic who was born outside of the U.S. and raised in Miami, then moved to Newnan, GA. I have traveled extensively through the South. After calling Georgia home for the past 7 years, our family is now headed to a small village in the Hudson Valley.

We are headed up to NY because of a work assignment that will last 1 to 2 years. We just visited the area and so far I'm smitten with its beauty and history. I'm a rare specimen in that although I was born in the Caribbean, I prefer winter to the incessant heat of FL and GA.

As mentioned, I grew up in Miami from 13 years old, married there and moved to GA at the age of 27 with my husband and first child.

I miss being around my family who lives in Miami, as Hispanic families tend to be very close. I also miss boating with my parents, fishing, water sports, and the variety of food easily available there. Miami was all I knew of the U.S. for a long time, however after we had our first child we quickly realized we did not want to raise her there. Our eyes opened to the materialistic culture and just plain aggressiveness that permeates the city. Obviously not everyone is like that, but many live in a state of shallowness, much of it relates to who has the most money, the best body, clubbing, drinking and drugs. Sex is blatant everywhere. We would go to a nice movie theater and the women around us would be wearing outrageously revealing attire, like a very visible white thong under black spandex 10 sizes too small and stretched to the point of transparency. I'm pretty easy going and believe in "live and let live", but I wanted my kids to know that there's more to the world than that.

Enter GA. At first everything was lovely. Everyone was nice and said hello at the grocery store. To get to our home we drove through beautiful country roads, and there was a slightly better sense of community, among the locals. It wasn't long before we realized that the friendliness was superficial. Unfortunately people in the town where we live are nice to your face, but ugly and gossipy behind your back for no reason. In the 7 years we've been there, we have never been invited to a function by a local family. At one particular public school my daughter attended, she was never invited to a playdate or outing. We were the ones constantly trying to make an effort to befriend others with little or no reciprocation.

Unfortunately, with a Hispanic last name, everyone assumes I'm Mexican (I'm Cuban). They simply pool me with the same as all the Mexicans who live in the area (who, by the way, are nice and hardworking). I speak English fluently, I was educated here, etc. Yet, I have been questioned as to if I'm here legally by random people I meet. They simply assume any Hispanic is undocumented. One old lady even went as far as ridiculously slowing her speech and inserting some butchered Spanish words into her speech. She simply assumed that I spoke no English.

Our best friend, who is a blonde blue-eyed, sweet as can be man from Michigan, was recently chatting with a gentleman from the area. A few minutes into the conversation, the Southern man asked where he was from, and after my friend disclosed he was from Michigan, the Southener turned and walked away without another word.

It saddens me that this type of exclusive behavior still prevails in the world, when we have so many bigger problems to worry about.

The heat IS unbearable. It is often hotter in GA than Miami in the summer.

On the other hand, We had a beautiful house that was affordable, and beautiful surroundings.

As my husband and I drove back from NY this past weekend (we were looking for a house there) it occurred to us that what we'll miss most is the dear friends in GA who have become like family. As we reflected on our friendships, we realized they are all Northeners or Hispanic.

We are hoping that the Hudson Valley residents will be a little more open-minded. As corny as it may sound, we need to remember that this country was founded by immigrants; the people who are the makeup of this nation are as different as can be and we have all contributed to its richness.

Old 10-30-2013, 04:17 PM

93,556 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylado View Post
I've enjoyed reading through this thread as much of what has been said rings familiar. I'm a Hispanic who was born outside of the U.S. and raised in Miami, then moved to Newnan, GA. I have traveled extensively through the South. After calling Georgia home for the past 7 years, our family is now headed to a small village in the Hudson Valley.

We are headed up to NY because of a work assignment that will last 1 to 2 years. We just visited the area and so far I'm smitten with its beauty and history. I'm a rare specimen in that although I was born in the Caribbean, I prefer winter to the incessant heat of FL and GA.

As mentioned, I grew up in Miami from 13 years old, married there and moved to GA at the age of 27 with my husband and first child.

I miss being around my family who lives in Miami, as Hispanic families tend to be very close. I also miss boating with my parents, fishing, water sports, and the variety of food easily available there. Miami was all I knew of the U.S. for a long time, however after we had our first child we quickly realized we did not want to raise her there. Our eyes opened to the materialistic culture and just plain aggressiveness that permeates the city. Obviously not everyone is like that, but many live in a state of shallowness, much of it relates to who has the most money, the best body, clubbing, drinking and drugs. Sex is blatant everywhere. We would go to a nice movie theater and the women around us would be wearing outrageously revealing attire, like a very visible white thong under black spandex 10 sizes too small and stretched to the point of transparency. I'm pretty easy going and believe in "live and let live", but I wanted my kids to know that there's more to the world than that.

Enter GA. At first everything was lovely. Everyone was nice and said hello at the grocery store. To get to our home we drove through beautiful country roads, and there was a slightly better sense of community, among the locals. It wasn't long before we realized that the friendliness was superficial. Unfortunately people in the town where we live are nice to your face, but ugly and gossipy behind your back for no reason. In the 7 years we've been there, we have never been invited to a function by a local family. At one particular public school my daughter attended, she was never invited to a playdate or outing. We were the ones constantly trying to make an effort to befriend others with little or no reciprocation.

Unfortunately, with a Hispanic last name, everyone assumes I'm Mexican (I'm Cuban). They simply pool me with the same as all the Mexicans who live in the area (who, by the way, are nice and hardworking). I speak English fluently, I was educated here, etc. Yet, I have been questioned as to if I'm here legally by random people I meet. They simply assume any Hispanic is undocumented. One old lady even went as far as ridiculously slowing her speech and inserting some butchered Spanish words into her speech. She simply assumed that I spoke no English.

Our best friend, who is a blonde blue-eyed, sweet as can be man from Michigan, was recently chatting with a gentleman from the area. A few minutes into the conversation, the Southern man asked where he was from, and after my friend disclosed he was from Michigan, the Southener turned and walked away without another word.

It saddens me that this type of exclusive behavior still prevails in the world, when we have so many bigger problems to worry about.

The heat IS unbearable. It is often hotter in GA than Miami in the summer.

On the other hand, We had a beautiful house that was affordable, and beautiful surroundings.

As my husband and I drove back from NY this past weekend (we were looking for a house there) it occurred to us that what we'll miss most is the dear friends in GA who have become like family. As we reflected on our friendships, we realized they are all Northeners or Hispanic.

We are hoping that the Hudson Valley residents will be a little more open-minded. As corny as it may sound, we need to remember that this country was founded by immigrants; the people who are the makeup of this nation are as different as can be and we have all contributed to its richness.
What may help is that the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro area is one of the most integrated top 100 metros in the US and has some of the smallest pay gaps between Whites and people of color. So, you will find a good degree of integration throughout that area.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:14 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,210,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
What may help is that the Poughkeepsie-Newburgh-Middletown metro area is one of the most integrated top 100 metros in the US and has some of the smallest pay gaps between Whites and people of color. So, you will find a good degree of integration throughout that area.
Welcome to NY! I'll second ckh.

The Hudson Valley is one of the most beautiful areas of the country, and because it's relatively close to NYC, the people are much more open-minded than you will find in many other areas of the country. That's true all the way up the valley to the Albany area.

Be sure to take advantage of the many historical/scenic areas in the Hudson Valley area like Hyde Park (FDR's home and burial site), US Military Academy at West Point, the Vanderbilt Mansion, Bear Mountain SP, etc.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:21 PM

119 posts, read 207,322 times
I currently live in Central Florida. Although I am from New York, I lived on the West Coast for most of my adult life. I moved here from Seattle, to take care of my elderly parents. Have lived here for twenty years now. What are my thoughts about moving back up north? I can't wait till I can get out of this hell hole!

It may sound stereotypical to say the South is bigoted and ignorant, but that is my observation of over twenty years.
Somebody else made a lot of generalizations, but much of them are quite true. From what I have seen of the south from N Carolina, to Louisiana, it's true of the entire south. Some places are better, some are worse. However on the whole, if you are from up North, you are not welcome. That is unless you live in a big city.

I have worked in the agriculture industry for over thirty years. To say that here in the South it would seem, they have no idea of the dangers of pesticides is an understatement! To once again echo the comments made by someone else. Where else can you find helicopters, and planes spraying pesticides that are not even permitted in a state like Washington! When I was working, I was often told to mix chemicals twice the suggested strength --- to make sure we got the bugs on the first spray! I stopped eating citrus, when I discovered the chemicals they are allowed to spray down here! All I had to do to get my applicator permit, was get my picture taken and pay my money. No tests! In Washington State you had to pass a four hour test to get the same. It's not just agriculture. I can't believe the shortcuts builders use down here. No wonder they have so many sinkhole problems. It's common to bury all the waste under new homes being built. I think half of the so called sinkholes are nothing more than settling from buried debris.

As a gay man, I have seen blatant discrimination. If you are Black or Hispanic, you will be treated as a second class citizen no matter what your education level. If you are gay, you either stay in the closet or suffer the consequences. Even my gay friends are bigoted! They're all still fighting the Civil War. I think that's the biggest problem for Northerners who move down South. They will never let you forget about "States Rights". Yes there are places that are not that bad, but they are far and few. People where I live, don't even consider Miami to be part of Florida. They joke about it being a third world country, most of the time. Yes I live in small town Florida, and it's hell on earth!

I am currently looking in Central New York for a place, and plan on moving out of here as soon as I am able. Twenty years, was twenty years years too long!

Old 02-21-2014, 05:52 PM

41 posts, read 60,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtchft77 View Post
My wife heard the other day that people that moved down south from ny are now moving back. has anybody you know (yourself included) done this? If so why? We're wondering because we've thought from time to time about moving down south but would like to know the downsides that other northerners have experienced.
I have lived in the south (houston,Tx) for a long long time and its a good place to live because cost of living is not expensive, but as a young person I don't really like it. I am from New York and I am planning to move back up north somewhere because I want to have a nightlife and plus I miss my family & friends. I also think its time for a change of scenery.

Old 02-21-2014, 05:58 PM

41 posts, read 60,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtchft77 View Post
Hello, my husband posted this question for me and I appreciate all of your responses. Are there areas that anyone knows of that aren't so dominated by so many Northerners moving in and all of the related problems where people are still friendly to Northerners and COL and schools are decent? Are you really having to just stay inside in the a/c all summer? I heard that you can't swim in the lakes.
I will definitely miss our families, although depending on where we go, we may have some of them follow. I really love the aspects of the South like the hospitality (I do always wonder if it's really genuine or just on the surface or a formality), the laid back and slower lifestyle and the Southern culture. I don't know how we'd feel once we got down there, but I'm trying to get as much of an idea beforehand to prepare. I don't hate upstate NY, but we have an impression that the lifestyle down South would be a lot better for us. The weather for one, really is hard to get through with winter being so long and so lack of sunshine. We're hoping to go visit some areas this spring. Thanks so much for all of your info
Besides missing family & friends its too hot here in the South where I live (TX). It gets really really hot starting in like May or June and it just seems like its Hot all year round. It has gotten up to 110 before down here and that is just way to hot. Even at not it still feels way to hot. It does get somewhat cold starting in November until about January.

People here are friendly, but its not that much of a difference from up North. IMO

Old 02-22-2014, 10:20 AM

3,058 posts, read 3,828,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny48 View Post
I currently live in Central Florida. Although I am from New York, I lived on the West Coast for most of my adult life. I moved here from Seattle, to take care of my elderly parents. Have lived here for twenty years now. What are my thoughts about moving back up north? I can't wait till I can get out of this hell hole!

It may sound stereotypical to say the South is bigoted and ignorant, but that is my observation of over twenty years.
Somebody else made a lot of generalizations, but much of them are quite true. From what I have seen of the south from N Carolina, to Louisiana, it's true of the entire south. Some places are better, some are worse. However on the whole, if you are from up North, you are not welcome. That is unless you live in a big city.

I have worked in the agriculture industry for over thirty years. To say that here in the South it would seem, they have no idea of the dangers of pesticides is an understatement! To once again echo the comments made by someone else. Where else can you find helicopters, and planes spraying pesticides that are not even permitted in a state like Washington! When I was working, I was often told to mix chemicals twice the suggested strength --- to make sure we got the bugs on the first spray! I stopped eating citrus, when I discovered the chemicals they are allowed to spray down here! All I had to do to get my applicator permit, was get my picture taken and pay my money. No tests! In Washington State you had to pass a four hour test to get the same. It's not just agriculture. I can't believe the shortcuts builders use down here. No wonder they have so many sinkhole problems. It's common to bury all the waste under new homes being built. I think half of the so called sinkholes are nothing more than settling from buried debris.

As a gay man, I have seen blatant discrimination. If you are Black or Hispanic, you will be treated as a second class citizen no matter what your education level. If you are gay, you either stay in the closet or suffer the consequences. Even my gay friends are bigoted! They're all still fighting the Civil War. I think that's the biggest problem for Northerners who move down South. They will never let you forget about "States Rights". Yes there are places that are not that bad, but they are far and few. People where I live, don't even consider Miami to be part of Florida. They joke about it being a third world country, most of the time. Yes I live in small town Florida, and it's hell on earth!

I am currently looking in Central New York for a place, and plan on moving out of here as soon as I am able. Twenty years, was twenty years years too long!
This is a really interesting article that touches upon regulation in NY, but goes much beyond that:

What Upstate New York Can Teach The Rest Of The Country About Living Well

Old 02-22-2014, 12:12 PM

93,556 posts, read 124,263,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
This is a really interesting article that touches upon regulation in NY, but goes much beyond that:

What Upstate New York Can Teach The Rest Of The Country About Living Well
Interesting and informative article. Not to bring the "What is Upstate" debate back, but I would tell the writer that people up here would consider Oneida County and points west Upstate NY too.

Old 02-22-2014, 06:02 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,828,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Interesting and informative article. Not to bring the "What is Upstate" debate back, but I would tell the writer that people up here would consider Oneida County and points west Upstate NY too.
Yeah, I noticed that too, and I'm not sure why the western delineation point was Oneida County. Unless he considers that Central / Western NY instead of Upstate. Still, I agree with most of his points about regulations, rural vs urban life, and Upstate being more friendly.

I think the "marriage advantage" might be a stretch; getting married in any state has more to do with your personal relationship with your spouse than the statistics of how many people are divorced in that state (which is mostly due to high rates of Catholicism in Northeastern states and the stigma about getting divorced as a Catholic is still around).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York