Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2014, 05:34 PM

3,580 posts, read 3,082,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageSunlight View Post
So, I looked at a few of these homes. Are you kidding? Most of them need major updating and they're competing with homes in the $225k range with these $6k per year tax amounts. Do you have any idea how much nicer a house you can get in Raleigh or Charlotte for $225k over these Brady Bunch homes?
What about the equivalent in Charlotte to Buffalo's Elmwood Village, Parkside, or North Buffalo? I am talking specifically about comparably safe, in-town access, convenience, and equivalent housing - late 19th to early 20th century well maintained and updated? Do they even exist in Charlotte, and at what price?

Maybe the Houston equivalent could be Montrose or Heights where a 2000 sf house on a 5000 sf lot sells for 400k to 800k and up. Teardowns sell for 500k in my vicinity, double 3 years ago. Property taxes on an empty 5000 sf residential lot in much of central Houston are 6k to 10k - FOR AN EMPTY LOT. THAT'S where the biggest differences are, not comparing cookie cutter exurbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2014, 05:36 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
So, I looked at a few of these homes. Are you kidding? Most of them need major updating and they're competing with homes in the $225k range with these $6k per year tax amounts. Do you have any idea how much nicer a house you can get in Raleigh or Charlotte for $225k over these Brady Bunch homes?
To be honest, there are a couple of homes in there that look like the 2 you posted. So, I guess those homes that you posted from NC weren't that impressive in your own book.

Also, you don't have to go up to 225k for a nice home in an Upstate NY suburb. Taxes posted aren't necessarily what is paid and just make sure or check if there is an HOA, as well as the vehicle tax amount for property costs in NC.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-24-2014 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-24-2014, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketSci View Post
What about the equivalent in Charlotte to Buffalo's Elmwood Village, Parkside, or North Buffalo? I am talking specifically about comparably safe, in-town access, convenience, and equivalent housing - late 19th to early 20th century well maintained and updated? Do they even exist in Charlotte, and at what price?

Maybe the Houston equivalent could be Montrose or Heights where a 2000 sf house on a 5000 sf lot sells for 400k to 800k and up. Teardowns sell for 500k in my vicinity, double 3 years ago. Property taxes on an empty 5000 sf residential lot in much of central Houston are 6k to 10k - FOR AN EMPTY LOT. THAT'S where the biggest differences are, not comparing cookie cutter exurbs.
Good point and after looking at the home locations in Matthews and Apex on a map, they are either fringe suburban or rural.

Old 02-24-2014, 05:51 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,320,272 times
My $172k 4 bedroom house is 28 miles from the ocean and taxes are about $1250 a year.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:16 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,102,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
To be honest, there are a couple of homes in there that look like the 2 you posted. So, I guess those homes that you posted from NC weren't that impressive in your own book.

Also, you don't have to go up to 225k for a nice home in an Upstate NY suburb. Taxes posted aren't necessarily what is paid and just make sure or check if there is an HOA, as well as the vehicle tax amount for property costs in NC.
I am reading this current round from the side lines, please do not start lowering tax obligation because of STAR most places have a variation of that based on age/income so it's a wash. HOA's overall are very little and provide community facilities for you to use and they are not automatic in every neighborhood. If NC has to pay vehicle tax on top of property tax NY municipalities are paying property & school and may also pay village, library, sewer, special district, mta, and bohica tax so again a wash.

Old 02-24-2014, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
I am reading this current round from the side lines, please do not start lowering tax obligation because of STAR most places have a variation of that based on age/income so it's a wash. HOA's overall are very little and provide community facilities for you to use and they are not automatic in every neighborhood. If NC has to pay vehicle tax on top of property tax NY municipalities are paying property & school and may also pay village, library, sewer, special district, mta, and bohica tax so again a wash.
I didn't say anything about anything being a wash, but only said what I said to be included in the property costs, if necessary. With the much higher median home price, it comes out to costing more even with the property taxes up here, many times. This isn't from me, but just look at the general information for specific communities and we're talking about Upstate NY.

Also, you can get Basic STAR without an age restriction, while Enhanced STAR is for those 65 and older. HOA's, while not universal, are more common in many Southern states versus up here, in comparison. STAR

Here's information for Erie County: STAR Exemption Certification System - Erie County 2013-2014 School Levy Year

http://www2.erie.gov/ecrpts/sites/ww...C_RATE2014.pdf

http://www2.erie.gov/ecrpts/sites/ww...ge%20Rates.pdf

http://www2.erie.gov/ecrpts/sites/ww...ol%20Rates.pdf

http://www2.erie.gov/ecrpts/sites/ww...Comparison.pdf

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 02-24-2014 at 07:20 PM..

Old 02-24-2014, 08:27 PM

3,058 posts, read 3,826,524 times
And yet here we are, with no one able to do a side by side comparison to show me how NY is cheaper. A lot of assumptions about possible HOAs, a lot of embellishments about wonderful neighborhoods in Buffalo. Ruby Greta said I was full of it, when I said Charlotte was cheaper and I backed it up with real life, on the market homes. Not some cost of living calculator and STAR nonsense. So, I'm comfortable with how this all went and I'll see you all 25 pages from now when ckh mentions a $500 a month vehicle tax (cause if you have a Ferrari then that's how much it costs).

Old 02-24-2014, 08:35 PM

3,517 posts, read 5,320,272 times
Quote:
And yet here we are, with no one able to do a side by side comparison to show me how NY is cheaper. A lot of assumptions about possible HOAs, a lot of embellishments about wonderful neighborhoods in Buffalo. Ruby Greta said I was full of it, when I said Charlotte was cheaper and I backed it up with real life, on the market homes. Not some cost of living calculator and STAR nonsense. So, I'm comfortable with how this all went and I'll see you all 25 pages from now when ckh mentions a $500 a month vehicle tax (cause if you have a Ferrari then that's how much it costs).
If you're trying to say that when comparing the two regions, it's not a wash, I would agree with that. The taxes paid in Northern states on a variety of things from gas, groceries, income, property, and sales still vastly exceed anything anyone can muster from HOAs and A/C bills.

Old 02-24-2014, 08:59 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,261,525 times
Quote:
Buffalo couple -

Husband: Honey, we're moving to Charlotte. I got a new job with the same salary. We're selling the house. Start packing.

Wife: So why are we moving if you got the same salary.

Husband: Because some poster named VintageSunlight on City Data said we can get the same house and save $400/month.

Wife: But all our friends and family are in Buffalo. We don't know anyone in Charlotte.

Husband: Doesn't matter. We can save $400/month.

Wife: But are the schools as good? Is the neighborhood convenient to shopping and downtown? I hear Charlotte has much worse traffic than Buffalo.

Wife: Are you out of your mind?

Husband: No. According to VintageSunlight, the $400/month is the primary reason why people move from Buffalo to Charlotte, not because they get higher paying jobs. So who cares about the other stuff. And Buffalonians are fleeing by the thousands. We'll make new friends. And we'll visit our parents on Thanksgiving.

Wife: YOU ARE NUTS!!

Old 02-24-2014, 09:11 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,632,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Buffalo couple -

Husband: Honey, we're moving to Charlotte. I got a new job with the same salary. We're selling the house. Start packing.

Wife: So why are we moving if you got the same salary.

Husband: Because some poster named VintageSunlight on City Data said we can get the same house and save $400/month.

Wife: But all our friends and family are in Buffalo. We don't know anyone in Charlotte.

Wife: But are the schools as good? Is the neighborhood convenient to shopping and downtown? I hear Charlotte has much worse traffic than Buffalo.

Wife: Are you out of your mind?

Husband: No. According to VintageSunlight, the $400/month is the primary reason why people move from Buffalo to Charlotte, not because they get higher paying jobs. So who cares about the other stuff. And Buffalonians are fleeing by the thousands. We'll make new friends. And we'll visit our parents on Thanksgiving.

Wife: YOU ARE NUTS!!
Best post on this thread!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York