Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2014, 06:55 PM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,886,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Are you sure the economy has improved in the past three years besides wall Wallstreet on steroids? How's your college debt working out for ya? As for Guyana I won't move over their until 2054. Also I can choose India, Portugal, Ireland, Great Britain, Brazil and West Africa and all other parts of the world that is in my blood. America is going down the toilet and you know it. The black American middle class is declining. I'm gonna post a 2 year old article. If this article is irrelevant because it's out dated than maybe a week old article out dated as decade old article.

The shrinking black middle class - Chicago Tribune
The places you would leave America for are in no better shape. At least the US has more land space.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:37 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,161,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
The places you would leave America for are in no better shape. At least the US has more land space.
Brazil is bigger than the continental US.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Are you sure the economy has improved in the past three years besides wall Wallstreet on steroids? How's your college debt working out for ya? As for Guyana I won't move over their until 2054. Also I can choose India, Portugal, Ireland, Great Britain, Brazil and West Africa and all other parts of the world that is in my blood. America is going down the toilet and you know it. The black American middle class is declining. I'm gonna post a 2 year old article. If this article is irrelevant because it's out dated than maybe a week old article out dated as decade old article.

The shrinking black middle class - Chicago Tribune
You can't just choose those countries. You'd have to already get hired by a job willing to sponsor you for a work visa. Just having distant ancestry doesn't get you legal status.

Depending on what your degree and what your experience is it, it may not be worth it for those countries to sponsor you for a visa.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caribny View Post
Technology is reducing the need for people who perform robotic tasks in both the public and private sectors. How many of us go to the post office, or to the DMV any more? Even food stamps is on a refillable debit cards. But these are low skilled people who face displacement. Secretaries no longer exist, at least not in terms of just answering the phone and typing. To succeed they must be Administrative support, in other words possess basic management skills and initiative, again blocking out poorly educated females who used to have that avenue for upward mobility.

Blacks gravitated to the public sector around WWII when laws preventing racial exclusion began to be implemented. So it was easier for blacks to achieve upward mobility than in the private sector which remained quite hostile to black professionals as late as the 1980s.

I can tell you stories about what it was like then. And this wasn't some deeply historic period like the 60s where only old people can truly tell you what it was like. Now some credit the Cosby Show for showing Americans that normal upper middle class blacks did exist, and so reducing the negative assumptions that they had about blacks. I do remember the claims that this was pure fantasy even though it represented normality for most upper middle class blacks. You will note that neither of them were fully in Corporate America.

I told the white investment banker about the results of this relatively recent hostility to blacks. The result being having to fight "racial exclusion", even when there isn't an intent to be racist. Of course few people today are consciously racist, but that doesn't mean that they are truly color blind either.
Exactly on the technology front and on the ending of the traditional secretary type role. In the private sector ITunes, Amazon, etc have wiped out music stores and are killing off the dvd business and bookstores.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:52 AM

Quote:
We are talking about NY. Outside of NY the conversation of AA and Afro Caribbean dynamics is irrelevant.

How many Mexicans and blacks in NYC ever encounter each other given the demographics of the Mexican population in this city. Even you will admit that we don't often meet the highly educated Mexican in NYC, even though they do exist, but they just aren't that numerous. Texas and California, different story.

The result is that the Mexican will tend to encounter mainly the black under class, so understandably will not think too kindly of them.

Its clear that West Indians have done great injury to you and so on behalf of the estimated one million of us who live in the Metro NY area I apologize. We are truly a horrible group of people to have hurt you so deeply.
West Indians have done no injury to me.

As for how many Mexicans and Blacks in NYC encounter each other, that is mere speculation on your part. And Mexicans are far from the only Hispanic group in the city.

You're grasping for straws here, displaying the emotion you accused me of and not presenting the data you claim to be found off.

17% of Blacks who are married nationally are married to non Blacks. That's statistically significant. So clearly Blacks do mix significantly with non Blacks.

I am just saying West Indians are just another ethnic group and AAs interact with them the way they would with any other racial or ethnic group.

Old 08-20-2014, 09:54 AM
DAS

2,532 posts, read 6,886,174 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
Brazil is bigger than the continental US.
It still has the same problems. All over the world humans have the same problems, just differences in degrees and levels of the same problems. You can run but you can't hide. If you leave you should leave because you want to experience something different, to try to run to something because you think it may be better.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:58 PM

2,930 posts, read 2,615,332 times
Default Well you said it

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
No doubt, the majority of those men aren't college educated. But the behaviors you describe in that demographic of Black men (and then you tried to imply that it's all blacks) are behaviors found out in mentally ill people of all races. Extreme defiance towards authority, loud and unruly outbursts, etc. These are behaviors that they prescribe medication for and that they give therapy for. If their parents are unable to parent them the state needs to intervene. And at least some of these kids have crackhead mothers, so birth control needs to be applied to these women. I think Roe vs Wade and birth control have actually kept the crime rate down by preventing even more unfit parents from giving birth to kids that would be neglected or abused.

And yes, mental illness and the way untreated people behave of course keeps them poor.

Also, the reason why people came out against you is because the behaviors you describe clearly do not come from people with stable, loving parents. Kids who behave like that have scum for parents (both the mother and the father).

Well, I guess that explains it NYWriterdude --- most ghetto Black males are mentally ill. In keeping with that premise, I concur that they would likely benefit from psycho-trophic medication to regulate their behavior. According to many teachers and counselors in those Black schools in Brooklyn, Bronx, when they have the unfortunate occurrence of meeting the parent (which resembles more of the parent confronting the school staff than meeting with them), they see why the child acts the way he/she does. Apparently many of the Black parent(s) of these individuals are mentally ill too and could benefit from psycho-trophic meds. Fortunately or unfortunately, depending on one's perspective, birth control can not be forced upon a woman whether she is a crack-head or not. He and She are free to continue breeding at will and they do. Nevertheless, women's birth control is a moot point since we're talking about males/men who were born. I stuck to the topic and stated the type of BM I was talking about and never implied that the bad behavior was indicative of all Blacks but you still perceived it that way because of your own issues of resistant to accept unflattering truths about some ghetto, unemployed BM in NYC. I couldn't care less about people who come out against me (basically it's you and CaribNY) as this is a forum so various opinions, and counter-opinions will be expressed and I'm fine with that.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:21 PM

Default Unemployed BM in the ghettos is the subject of the thread

Quote:
Because I am telling you that the problem of black unemployment is HARDLY limited to the black under class.

Yes black men who have college degrees are AS LIKELY to face unemployment white men who only graduated high school. What part of that do you not understand? Black men with college degrees also earn what white men who only graduated college. What part of that don't you understand.

So unless your response includes a reaction to that fact then you are being very selective, and also disrespectful to those people who are doing the right thing, but yet face obstacles. And by pretending as if only the under class has this problem is distracting from the fact that there is a problem that ought to be addressed.
...And I am telling you that unemployment among college educated and non-ghetto dwelling Blacks IS not the topic in the OP, unless you have legitimate stats that those high percentages of unemployed BMs in Brooklyn & Bronx are primarily individuals with degrees. Can you produce that because I'd like to see the sources cited.

Yes, I am being selective since the OP is about high percentages of unemployment among BM in ghetto areas. Yes, when I go to a topic, I generally try and selectively stick to that topic. Again, although it's a worthy topic, the unemployment level of college-degreed BM is not the subject of this thread unless THEY'RE the ones who are highly represented in Brooklyn and Bronx. Somehow I doubt that is true as I've often been in those areas working, interacting, and trying to assist the high unemployed BM demographic in those areas and trust me when I say education is not one of their priorities and obtaining a "college education and degree", you got to be kidding. If you and NYWriterdude could stop twisting my comments to make it about "you", your perceived slights and offenses, and instead stay focused on the persons at hand, maybe you could become more hands-on to help these individuals turn their lives around for the better. Just think how much would be accomplished if your emotion was this high toward helping the less fortunate, ignorant, and/or mentally ill Black males hanging on corners, subway trains, and youth loudly yell-talking, cursing, speaking vulgar in public.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:28 PM

1,173 posts, read 1,758,656 times
Just going to drop this here as its relevant and he touches(really he goes into depth) on the root of this and alot of the issues going on today. I hope that folks will give it a listen or re-listen if you have already heard it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CsrGQzKmMCs

Old 08-21-2014, 08:52 PM

Default Hilarious!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAS View Post
No I really do think you are a White trust funder forced to live frugally on a budget if you don't work. You are probably trying to make it as a writer and may be making a little something. But basically you are home most of the time, arguing with people on City Data NYC forum. But I like that part because I love the forum debates. It keeps me from falling asleep on my non retail job. Which I do at home most days and I don't have set hours.

Funny!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.