Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2014, 09:10 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,010,568 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Dale View Post
@ nywriterdude - You obviously never managed anything but your own opinions.
You never mention your credentials or what you do for a living, G-Dale. Why not go ahead and mention them.

What I said had nothing to do with management. I responded with official stats to something CaribNY requested info on. Blacks disproportionately work in temp jobs (as do Hispanics) and education alone can't stop that as a lot of office jobs are temp jobs.

The temp sector of the economy was tightly regulated until they lobbied governments and changed laws in order to make the current situation legal.

So it would take legal action again and organizing of labor politically in order to improve conditions for working class people. But you, like much of city data for whatever reason hate working class people. It's bizarre how much venom is spewed off here.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:45 AM

10,786 posts, read 11,330,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
So if temping is so great, quit whatever you're doing and temp indefinitely G-Dale. Do that for the rest of your life since it's so wonderful, G-Dale.
Many people actually do because it can often pay more. Of course they give up certain benefits, but many who choose this route can get that from a spouse. Also, you still do need to have a skill, and temping can be a very very good opportunity to be able to build that skill.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Unions have been huge factors in utilities (they are unionized), public sector (they are unionized), film industry (it is unionized) and even parts of retail are unionized.

I know people here like to parrot right wing ideology, but those parroting that ironically generally don't have union benefits like PENSIONS or good health insurance.
I'm not against unions in any way other than how they operate today. They should be doing much more.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:55 AM

Quote:
You never mention your credentials or what you do for a living, G-Dale. Why not go ahead and mention them.

What I said had nothing to do with management. I responded with official stats to something CaribNY requested info on. Blacks disproportionately work in temp jobs (as do Hispanics) and education alone can't stop that as a lot of office jobs are temp jobs.

The temp sector of the economy was tightly regulated until they lobbied governments and changed laws in order to make the current situation legal.

So it would take legal action again and organizing of labor politically in order to improve conditions for working class people. But you, like much of city data for whatever reason hate working class people. It's bizarre how much venom is spewed off here.
I play with numbers all day long. If you must know, I'm an actuary by trade. Sorry that I don't buy your theories, but they don't always mathematically make sense to me.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Many people actually do because it can often pay more. Of course they give up certain benefits, but many who choose this route can get that from a spouse. Also, you still do need to have a skill, and temping can be a very very good opportunity to be able to build that skill.
And many people do it because for whatever reason that's all they get. And there are many low paying temp positions. Many languish in temp jobs for years without moving up to permanent jobs. It's all about saving the company money (no benefits, able to fire the worker at whim, etc.)

This is not to invalidate what you said, you do have good points but there is the other side of temping I just mentioned, and there are low paying temp jobs.

There are categories of workers who seek out temp jobs. I for example could decide I want extra money and temp (I'm freelance writer who works part time with non profit). And many artists do just that.

At the same time, when companies wholesale eliminate adminstrative and operations positions where they can and replace them with temps it gets pretty bad and the many beneficiary is the employer.

Old 08-22-2014, 09:58 AM

Quote:
I play with numbers all day long. If you must know, I'm an actuary by trade. Sorry that I don't buy your theories, but they don't always mathematically make sense to me.
Those weren't theories, those were stats that you refused to accept. An article quoted labor department statistics and more or less said that a big part of African American and Latino poverty is in part because they are working temp jobs at or near the minimum wage full time.

It's something that for whatever reason makes you uncomfortable.

But of course, in another thread you reject what all economists say so I should point out that context as well.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Those weren't theories, those were stats that you refused to accept. An article quoted labor department statistics and more or less said that a big part of African American and Latino poverty is in part because they are working temp jobs at or near the minimum wage full time.

It's something that for whatever reason makes you uncomfortable.

But of course, in another thread you reject what all economists say so I should point out that context as well.
And that is unfortunate, but removing temps is not a long term solution. Same with unions. There are many countries that do not have temps and/or unionize everything that have far worse problems with unemployment and poverty than we do. And their future outlook is far more negative as well. There are just so many factors.

And yes, economists tend to come late to the table.

Old 08-22-2014, 10:21 AM

Quote:
And that is unfortunate, but removing temps is not a long term solution. Same with unions. There are many countries that do not have temps and/or unionize everything that have far worse problems with unemployment and poverty than we do. And their future outlook is far more negative as well. There are just so many factors.

And yes, economists tend to come late to the table.
Whether those countries really have worse problems with unemployment and poverty worse than ours is subject to debate. Surely if everything was grand in the US we wouldn't be having issues with places like Ferguson. Certain US media is of course going to report things are better here than in say Europe (bias, anyone). But whether things actually are better is a whole different matter.

What is clear is you cannot temp your way out of poverty. You'd need a full time job in order to support yourself in any stable kind of way.

So while it upsets CaribNY that a disproportionate share of Blacks work in public sector jobs (unionized), it's much better to work in civil service than it is a private sector temp job where one is paid at or near the minimum wage (and these workers are disproportionately Black and Latino as well).

Old 08-22-2014, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Whether those countries really have worse problems with unemployment and poverty worse than ours is subject to debate. Surely if everything was grand in the US we wouldn't be having issues with places like Ferguson. Certain US media is of course going to report things are better here than in say Europe (bias, anyone). But whether things actually are better is a whole different matter.
You don't really think that the problems going on in Ferguson even come remotely close to what is going on in say, the Ukraine, do you?

Old 08-22-2014, 11:01 AM

Quote:
You don't really think that the problems going on in Ferguson even come remotely close to what is going on in say, the Ukraine, do you?
Compare the US to Western Union like Germany, which is still heavily unionized and labor protected. Not the former Soviet Union which clearly had an economic collapse.

The Ukraine in addition to economic problems, has parts of the country splitting off and being annexed by Russia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City