Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 05:45 AM

25,556 posts, read 24,179,600 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
What I'm reading is appears to be a generalization and is very opinionated. You're right about people moving up economically, they move to better areas but I'm certain majority black neighborhoods of Harlem and Bed-Stuy generally have a number of blacks who are more economically affluent and educated than the rest. To say this, there are affluent black people who do live around other black people. Just maybe not blacks in your social circles.

Ok this is true but a large segment of black poverty in the US is concentrated in urban centers. White poverty is concentrated for the most part in rural areas. I'm talking on average nationwide.

Is Wakefield truly on par with East New York in terms of violent crime and poverty? I know white plains road is really bad but I don't think thats descriptive of the entire area.

These people may not have advanced economically or academically as you, but not everyone in these neighborhoods is filth or scum. By your comments its clear you look down on these people.

He does not harbor animosity towards West Indians. I think hes just stating facts which are true that you don't want to hear.
Bedstuy has a huge influx of whites and other non Blacks, ditto Harlem.

White People Are Flocking To Bed-Stuy, Black People Are Leaving: Gothamist

Unless they are living in NYCHA, the Blacks in these neighborhoods are increasingly the more well to do kinds that do indeed have work and social contacts with NON Blacks.

Here's a recent Ny Times article on the surge of violence in the North Bronx, particularly Wakefield.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/19/ny...tics.html?_r=0

Old 08-23-2014, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relaxx View Post
Ok this is true but a large segment of black poverty in the US is concentrated in urban centers. White poverty is concentrated for the most part in rural areas. I'm talking on average nationwide.
That doesn't mean all or even most Blacks still live in poor Black neighborhoods in large cities. These places exist, no doubt, but that's not proof most Blacks, even urban Blacks live in them.

Old 08-23-2014, 09:42 AM

16,200 posts, read 23,185,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post

Unless they are living in NYCHA, the Blacks in these neighborhoods are increasingly the more well to do kinds that do indeed have work and social contacts with NON Blacks.

Here's a recent Ny Times article on the surge of violence in the North Bronx, particularly Wakefield.

Most of the white gains in bed stuy has been from hasidic Jews moving from neighboring South Williamsburg. The yuppie white transplant gentrification in Bedstuy comes from the Clinton Hill Fort Green corridor. I have a female friend who is black and very gentry and has a white Nordic beardo husband. She cries that schools in bed stuy are still horrible even though the area has plenty of gentrification. Even Harlem is still relatively hood.

Old 08-23-2014, 10:16 AM

2,679 posts, read 1,716,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronxguyanese View Post
Most of the white gains in bed stuy has been from hasidic Jews moving from neighboring South Williamsburg. The yuppie white transplant gentrification in Bedstuy comes from the Clinton Hill Fort Green corridor. I have a female friend who is black and very gentry and has a white Nordic beardo husband. She cries that schools in bed stuy are still horrible even though the area has plenty of gentrification. Even Harlem is still relatively hood.
Harlem still looks black as ever to me.

I read Bed-Stuy is only 50-60% black now. Don't know how true it is but thats still a fairly large percentage.

Quote:

More affluent blacks do work and live and have contacts with non blacks. I'm not denying this because its TRUE. Most likely HISTORY shows us that this is true. But ok we can stop saying it as if theres some prize at the end for blacks who know or socialize with more white people.

Gun Hill Road? With that name sounds like area has a long history of violence. One that isn't recent.

Old 08-23-2014, 11:33 AM

1,712 posts, read 2,934,009 times
Quote:

That suggests the advice given to AA men on this forum (go to school and get an education) will not work out for the vast majority of them. If the vast majority of AA men in NYC got bachelor degrees it would still be back to temp jobs at warehouses, retail, etc. It'd take structural changes in the economy to change the plight of working class people, something this forum does not want to deal with.
If black men (or anybody) just follows these 7 rules then they have a good shot of becoming well-to-do:

1) Don't have children until you are financially stable.
2) Don't get a criminal record and avoid interacting w/criminal elements
3) Get a degree that's actually in demand and marketable; from a school that's actually somewhat respectable
4) Don't fall into the trap of buying fancy clothes, an expensive car and other depreciating assets once you get a bit of money
5) Spend wisely to avoid debt and to keep your credit score good
6) During interviews, speak flawless standard american english and look as soft/innocent as possible since black men are subconsciously perceived as threatening to many)
7) Keep high standards for yourself and don't think you have to settle for less just b/c of your race or gender.

Whether you have connections or not, go to indeed, monster, careerbuilder, simplyhired, etc etc, and apply to AS MANY POSITIONS that your qualified for as you can!!! Don't give up and be relentless!! Even though there are some HR ppl out there who don't want to see blacks succeed, there are still much more PC liberal open-minded types that do. But most don't care either way, just be qualified, be able to do the job and show that you can bring wealth to a company; that's all companies want.

Last edited by MemoryMaker; 08-23-2014 at 11:50 AM..

Old 08-23-2014, 12:54 PM

213 posts, read 510,689 times
Quote:
No, the thread has moved on beyond unemployment in NYC and AA men.

If you talk about the rates of poverty among Blacks nationally, a big part of it is many (including NYC) work in low wage jobs. Just as 20% of low wage temps are Blacks (both male and female, immigrant and US born are included in this states) so are 20% of low wage temps Latino (of all races, disproportionate as well). Of course there are many low wage white temps as well, it's just that Blacks and Latinos have disproportionately high numbers in that category.

That suggests the advice given to AA men on this forum (go to school and get an education) will not work out for the vast majority of them. If the vast majority of AA men in NYC got bachelor degrees it would still be back to temp jobs at warehouses, retail, etc. It'd take structural changes in the economy to change the plight of working class people, something this forum does not want to deal with.
Ugh, as much as it pains me, I agree wholeheartedly w/this. As a working-poor, college-educated Latino who's currently holding a temp job, I've found myself wondering how and if I can achieve some semblance of upward mobility as I make the sacrifices necessary to get ahead in my field (i.e low/no pay internships, networking) Up until recently I believed that having a college degree and paying my dues would be the equalizer I needed to move up, the equalizer that would place me on even keel w/ peers from other races. But I worry that the circumstances I was born into will continue to haunt me despite my efforts.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:24 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,385,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond Stereo View Post
Ugh, as much as it pains me, I agree wholeheartedly w/this. As a working-poor, college-educated Latino who's currently holding a temp job, I've found myself wondering how and if I can achieve some semblance of upward mobility as I make the sacrifices necessary to get ahead in my field (i.e low/no pay internships, networking) Up until recently I believed that having a college degree and paying my dues would be the equalizer I needed to move up, the equalizer that would place me on even keel w/ peers from other races. But I worry that the circumstances I was born into will continue to haunt me despite my efforts.
College educated doesn't mean ****. There are hoards of graduates with degrees in nonsense subjects and they are pretty much worthless in the private sector. Today's college education is yesterday's high school education. There are tons of people graduating colleges who are morons. Serious employers know this. What does having a degree in sociology, communications, or criminal justice from Brooklyn college or BMCC really show?

How many AA's or Latinos are graduating with degrees that actually provide prospects for a career ( engineering, accounting, finance, sciences, etc.)? Many AA's and Latino's think that so long as they have a college degree they are owed a solid job. That reality doesn't exist. It doesn't exist for Whites or Asians or anyone else either. This isn't 1970. A college bachelor's degree doesn't mean squat barring a lucky break early in one's working life. It should merely serve as a stepping stone for even further education.

If you want to be rewarded for simply having a college education then just apply to low -mid level government jobs. If you don't get one then you're **** out of luck.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:34 PM

3,327 posts, read 4,385,488 times
Quote:
No, the thread has moved on beyond unemployment in NYC and AA men.

If you talk about the rates of poverty among Blacks nationally, a big part of it is many (including NYC) work in low wage jobs. Just as 20% of low wage temps are Blacks (both male and female, immigrant and US born are included in this states) so are 20% of low wage temps Latino (of all races, disproportionate as well). Of course there are many low wage white temps as well, it's just that Blacks and Latinos have disproportionately high numbers in that category.

What do you think a college degree shows? The fact is that is that a lot of people who graduate college aren't anything special. They're neither bright nor hard working.

Does graduating with a college degree in sociology allow someone to work for a chemical company?
Can someone with a degree in communications work at an accounting firm?
Can someone with a degree in education go work in corporate finance?
Does a degree in criminal justice confer upon the holder an ability to work as a research scientist at a bio tech firm?

There are entry level jobs for which no form of specialization or specific education is necessary but one has to have some type of connect for them. Media, Sales, Fashion, etc are some of them but if you have no connects then you've go no shot.

The fact is that many AA and Latino's take worthless majors in the hopes of landing a government job that simply has any college degree as a pre-req. If they don't, they're screwed.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:37 PM

1,782 posts, read 2,762,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leoliu View Post
Yeah, it is all the city/state/national/international societies fault for black man's problems, LOL.

Sorry unemployed black dudes, the world is not doing its job to provide custom made job opportunities that mold right into your job needs and skill sets.
Amen to that.

As someone said in one of the Mike Brown/Officer Wilson threads, when are we going to make an example of the successful young black men - the Ben Carsons of the world - rather than aggrandizing the thugs and felons, who's #1 accomplishment is getting themselves on the wrong side of the law and then shot?

Old 08-23-2014, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wawaweewa View Post
What do you think a college degree shows? The fact is that is that a lot of people who graduate college aren't anything special. They're neither bright nor hard working.

Does graduating with a college degree in sociology allow someone to work for a chemical company?
Can someone with a degree in communications work at an accounting firm?
Can someone with a degree in education go work in corporate finance?
Does a degree in criminal justice confer upon the holder an ability to work as a research scientist at a bio tech firm?

There are entry level jobs for which no form of specialization or specific education is necessary but one has to have some type of connect for them. Media, Sales, Fashion, etc are some of them but if you have no connects then you've go no shot.

The fact is that many AA and Latino's take worthless majors in the hopes of landing a government job that simply has any college degree as a pre-req. If they don't, they're screwed.
Good points. Your degree has to qualify you for working in a particular field, OR you could use the skills learned in said degree and transfer them to to a related field.

However, there is no such thing as a worthless major IF you are top of the class. A sociology major with GOOD grades and actual TALENT in the field could go to grad school and become a professor and also work in the non profit or non governmental organization sector of the economy. Maybe even work for the government in a higher capacity. You need to LIKE what you are doing and be good at it.

However, I agree with you on the base of many working class people getting a degree in whatever field with no particular talent means they basically won't get anywhere worthwhile at it.

In a place like NYC, people who have humanities degrees can work in the non profit sector, investment banking, publishing, film, advertising, etc. If one has does well on the LSAT, law school and politics are possibilities.

But the biggest problem here is I think people who know nothing about the professional world (private or public) tell people to go to college as if it is a magic cure all . These people don't know what corporate finance, chemical engineering, research scientist, accounting are. So they tell kids go to college and be something, and as a result the kids end up not being able to find work of any sorts (and certainly nothing they like doing).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > New York City