Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2018, 07:35 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,643,694 times

Advertisements

https://twitter.com/CBR/status/1030265717109780485

Old 08-17-2018, 03:02 PM

"COMPARING “SUPERMAN: THE MOVIE" TO THE COMICS OF THE TIME

Distilling the Essence: "Superman: The Movie" Did Not Reflect Established 1978 Comic Book Myth - But That Was a Good Thing"

https://www.supermanhomepage.com/mov...ing-stm-comics

Old 08-18-2018, 01:48 PM

https://twitter.com/THR/status/1030510821036552193

Old 08-18-2018, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Watchmen's series order comes as HBO is aggressively adding to its dramatic and genre outings as it looks to a future with a new corporate parent in AT&T and without its flagship, Game of Thrones. J.J. Abrams' Demimonde, Jordan Peele and Misha Green's Lovecraft Country, Joss Whedon's The Nevers and Zendaya starrer Euphoria are some of the projects given a series order in recent months.

The network released a logline for Watchmen with the following description: "Set in an alternate history where 'superheroes' are treated as outlaws, Watchmen embraces the nostalgia of the original groundbreaking graphic novel while attempting to break new ground of its own."
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...ndelof-1135642

Old 08-18-2018, 04:50 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Meh. I wouldn't go so far as to say WATCHMEN is bad, but I do say WATCHMEN is the single-most over-rated comic of all time.

Old 08-21-2018, 11:14 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,979,931 times
Quote:
I might just need HBO Go for that. LOVE The Watchmen.

Old 08-22-2018, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
WATCHMEN is the single-most over-rated comic of all time.
Nah, too much competition from anything that features mutants, like X-Men, X-Force, X-Farce, X-Monkeez, New Mutants, New Mueslix, New Munsters, and so on.

That Deadpoop guy, too.

Old 08-22-2018, 01:22 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,371,773 times
Quote:
Nah, too much competition from anything that features mutants, like X-Men, X-Force, X-Farce, X-Monkeez, New Mutants, New Mueslix, New Munsters, and so on.

That Deadpoop guy, too.
A lot of those are popular, but I don't know that many of the mare widely hailed as great comics. Maybe GOD LOVES, MAN KILLS or DAYS OF FUTURE PAST for the X-Men, which were indeed good comics for their time. But neither have aged particularly well.

I don't get the appeal of Deadpool at all. But I'm old.

Super-hero comics that are widely regarded, even outside of nerd-dom, as great are titles like:

BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE. Good but over-rated.

WATCHMEN. Supremely over-rated.

BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. A great comic, yes, but honestly I think BATMAN: YEAR ONE is far better in terms of story, art, and nailing everything great about Batman.

DAREDEVIL: BORN AGAIN. The art looks rather dated by today's standards, but it still holds up as a truly great story. It's one of the best things Marvel ever published.

BATMAN: HUSH. I loved this, but it isn't that old. Time will tell if it becomes a classic.

THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN. Over-rated. But undeniably one of the most effective publicity stunts of all time. No one has been able to get this particular lightning back in the bottle since.

ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN. This is the gold standard of how to do a reboot.

Old 08-22-2018, 02:25 PM

Quote:
A lot of those are popular, but I don't know that many of the mare widely hailed as great comics. Maybe GOD LOVES, MAN KILLS or DAYS OF FUTURE PAST for the X-Men, which were indeed good comics for their time. But neither have aged particularly well.
I joke-ified my point, but the real deal is that Uncanny X-Men was Marvel's bestselling comic throughout most of the 1980s, regardless of the quality of the story or art. Once Byrne left, things were uneven, though Paul Smith's art was different from Byrne's and Cockrum's, yet still good because he had a wholly unique style. Once Romita, Jr. came onboard for art duties, for some reason, the writing nose-dived like a Cessna farting black smoke after a squid ink smoothie. Plus, JRJR's art was workmanlike but unremarkable. His best days were spent drawing Spider-Man.

Quote:
I don't get the appeal of Deadpool at all. But I'm old.
It's not about age. The character's 27 years old. I've never been into him. And I had been done with mutants for years by the time of his introduction.

Quote:
Super-hero comics that are widely regarded, even outside of nerd-dom, as great are titles like:

BATMAN: THE KILLING JOKE. Good but over-rated.
No, it isn't.

Quote:
WATCHMEN. Supremely over-rated.
No, it isn't. There was nothing else like it at the time. Arguably, there still isn't. It's aged well, too.

Quote:
BATMAN: THE DARK KNIGHT RETURNS. A great comic, yes, but honestly I think BATMAN: YEAR ONE is far better in terms of story, art, and nailing everything great about Batman.
Don't forget to point out they're by the same writer or anything.

And, hey, let's not overlook Frank Miller's RONIN. That book was the real signpost to new off-the-beaten-path non-superhero graphic storytelling in the early to mid-1980s. While it isn't regarded in the same was as TDKR or Watchmen, it's no less special. And it's my single favorite Miller-work. He did it ALL on that one, minus the colors (by his frequent collaborator and eventual wife Lynn Varley).

Quote:
DAREDEVIL: BORN AGAIN. The art looks rather dated by today's standards, but it still holds up as a truly great story. It's one of the best things Marvel ever published.
Absolutely. And the common thread here? Frank Miller writing again, and joined by his Year One artist David Mazzucchelli. Frank came back and knocked it out of the park. AGAIN. Back then he was spinning straw into gold more consistently than almost any other writer at DC or Marvel.

Also, you're completely wrong about the art looking dated. It's no more "dated by today's standards" than Byrne's Fantastic Four or Gulacy's Master of Kung Fu. It's like saying Kubert looks dated.

What's looking "dated by today's standards" is all that junk Image put out after that launch, i.e the days when Liefeld was drawing crap and every young artist wanted to emulate his crappy style.

Quote:
BATMAN: HUSH. I loved this, but it isn't that old. Time will tell if it becomes a classic.
It already is.

Quote:
THE DEATH OF SUPERMAN. Over-rated. But undeniably one of the most effective publicity stunts of all time. No one has been able to get this particular lightning back in the bottle since.
I don't think it's overrated. The indestructible man meets his match. It had to happen, and it happened without kryptonite.

Quote:
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN. This is the gold standard of how to do a reboot.
Okay. Stop. Are you serious? WHY is it the "gold standard" of how to do a reboot? For one, the art wasn't that hot. In fact, it's reflective of a style many artists started showing up with that I despise. It was like the next wave of the Image look or something.

Old 08-22-2018, 03:52 PM

https://www.dccomics.com/blog/2018/0...te-show-for-dc

Quote:
A live stream will kickoff the new program at 4:30pm PST on August 29, 2018. Kevin Smith, filmmaker, actor and comic book author, will host the inaugural live stream event and introduce fans to the format, sets and exclusive content that will be seen on DC Daily. He will also provide fans with an in-depth look at the DC UNIVERSE digital subscription service. Fans can tune-in to the live stream at Facebook, Twitch and YouTube to hear breaking news about the upcoming DC UNIVERSE service launch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies