Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2018, 12:26 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,640,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
‘Supergirl’ Movie On Drawing Board For Warner Bros/DC; Oren Uziel Scripting

EXCLUSIVE:
Warner Bros and DC are developing a feature film based around Supergirl, the heroine and cousin of Superman. Oren Uziel is working on the script, I’ve confirmed. Not a lot more is being divulged at this point, and it comes as a surprise considering most internet chatter has been based on what will next happen for Superman, who after the 2013 film Man of Steel, was conscripted to become key to the plots of Batman V Superman, and more recently Justice League.

There is no producer on Supergirl at this point. According to DC mythology, the character was a teen when she escaped the doomed planet Krypton along with the infant who grew up as Clark Kent. Supergirl has been played by Melissa Benoist in the Greg Berlanti/Andrew Kreisberg/Allison Adler Warner Bros series creation that heads into Season Four on the CW.

It is unclear whether Superman will appear in this but if the rumors are true that Warner Bros and DC Entertainment are looking to create a new template for future Superman movies, this would seem a likely place to hatch a new persona. Henry Cavill, coming off a terrific turn opposite Tom Cruise in Mission: Impossible – Fallout, has played the stoic Man of Steel in the movies so far.

The move toward Supergirl is reflective of a change in focus at the studio, where the superhero effort is now headed by Walter Hamada, who shepherded many of New Line’s genre film hits before moving over when the entire DC braintrust was dismantled after the lackluster Justice League, which grossed $615 million worldwide on a reported $300 million budget.

Finding a different way back to the Superman universe through Supergirl reflects the differing mindset of DC priority titles to be a bit out of the box, and away from a slate which, with the notable exception of the Patty Jenkins-directed Wonder Woman, has resulted in too many films that have been leaden, dark, and not that fun. And expensive — Man of Steel, Batman Vs Superman and Justice League carried around $800 million in production budgets to gross a collective $2.1 billion, according to reported budget estimates.
https://deadline.com/2018/08/supergi...an-1202440687/

Old 08-06-2018, 01:43 PM

22,953 posts, read 28,365,202 times
WB needs to get Superman right before they broaden their horizons.

Old 08-06-2018, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
WB needs to get Superman right before they broaden their horizons.
They're not afraid to greenlight another female-centric CBM, unlike Marvel, who only chose to say yes to a Widow solo movie five years too late.

They're obviously doing some hardball with Cavill. But a Supergirl movie with Brainiac could happen while Superman does cameos in Shazam! and Supergirl. Then on to his own movie.

That's also another movie on the slate. The Batman isn't going to be here for a while. Reeves likes to take his time. He's barely completing or has barely completed a draft.

Old 08-06-2018, 03:07 PM

Nice!

Quote:
Gotham City mob boss and Batman foe Black Mask will make his big screen debut as the villain in Birds of Prey, TheWrap has exclusively learned.

Created by Doug Moench and Tom Mandrake, Black Mask made his first appearance in the comics in August 1985’s Batman issue #386. The Black Mask is a brutally sadistic kingpin in Gotham City’s criminal underworld who has a fixation with masks.

Black Mask is the criminal alias of Roman Sionis, who murdered his wealthy, status-obsessed parents to take control of the family corporation, then lost everything when he proved to be a terrible businessman. Seeking revenge on the people he blamed for his own failures — particularly Bruce Wayne and Wayne Enterprises — he returns, hidden behind an ebony black mask, at the head of a gang called the False Face Society.
https://www.thewrap.com/birds-of-pre...k-mask-batman/

Old 08-06-2018, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
They're not afraid to greenlight another female-centric CBM, unlike Marvel, who only chose to say yes to a Widow solo movie five years too late.
BLACK WIDOW should have been the first Marvel movie post-IRON MAN 2 and pre-AVENGERS. Maybe MARVEL was still feeling gun shy after ELEKTRA and CATWOMAN both bombed? I dunno. But ELEKTRA and CATWOMAN bombed because they were bad movies, not because they were Elektra and Catwoman.

The problem with both studios is their cart before the horse process. They don't find a writer or a director who is passionate about a character and has a vision and a great script. They want Product A and hire a director and writers who undergo heavy "advisement" from the studio. For Marvel, that approach has largely worked so far, though I suspect they are nearing the end of the road. WB/DC has one great movie out so far: WONDER WOMAN. Until they can get their house in order, they might be wise to slow down.

Quote:
That's also another movie on the slate. The Batman isn't going to be here for a while. Reeves likes to take his time. He's barely completing or has barely completed a draft.
I was a lot more excited about that until I saw the last APES movie, which was beautiful but boring. I'll wait for the first trailer before I let myself get my hopes up.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:17 PM

https://twitter.com/DcComicsUnited/s...85178990444545

Old 08-07-2018, 04:03 PM

^ Lost me at CW. Another teen soap opera.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:22 PM

Quote:
^ Lost me at CW. Another teen soap opera.
Might be good. They're using Kate Kane, so I assume J.H. Williams' run on the reboot will be the primary source.

Check out Black Lightning if you haven't. Much better show than The Flash (which got iffy way too soon).

I managed to catch a good chunk of this last season of Supergirl. If you want fun superhero action, you've got it. Once you get through the office chatter, the Reign storyline — which also introduces a scaled-down version of the Legion — is pretty cool.

Next, I'm going to binge Krypton, which is reportedly better than the entire CW roster.

What I'm really looking forward to is the return of Swamp Thing.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:57 PM

Quote:
I managed to catch a good chunk of this last season of Supergirl. If you want fun superhero action, you've got it. Once you get through the office chatter, the Reign storyline — which also introduces a scaled-down version of the Legion — is pretty cool.
I tried watching. J'onn J'onzz was cool. I didn't like anything else. It struck me as Smallville meets Ally McBeal.

Quote:
What I'm really looking forward to is the return of Swamp Thing.
Isn't that going to be on the streaming service? I guess I'll catch it if it ever hits DVD.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Isn't that going to be on the streaming service? I guess I'll catch it if it ever hits DVD.
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies