Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2018, 09:43 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,621,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
You mean like making Thanos' motivation to kill half the population of the universe because of his infatuation with the goddess of death? lol

Although, I wouldn't call that 'not taking chances'... but instead, I would call that making sensible decisions.
That's your opinion. They missed the boat on what could have been one of CBM cinema's single greatest moments.

Old 09-09-2018, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oramasfella View Post
WHY is this not a big-screen film???? I love the Doom Patrol (and I love Tim Dalton)!!!
It's such a great property.
It will work equally well as a series.

Old 09-09-2018, 10:41 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQgr...ature=youtu.be

Old 09-09-2018, 02:10 PM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
"Swamp Thing" To Be A Hard R And Practical - Dark Horizons

Quote:
“We always set out to make Swamp Thing as hard R as we could and go graphic with the violence, with the adult themes and make it as scary as possible. Because we’re doing it through the DC streaming service, they really pushed us, although they didn’t have to push hard, for us to go as extreme as we could. We really took our inspiration from the Alan Moore run in Swamp Thing, this landmark I think run. Fans of that series will know it gets pretty weird and extreme and scary.”

Old 09-09-2018, 03:18 PM

"The Alan Moore run" — just the words I needed to hear. That's exactly what they should do, and I anticipated it. Since it's a part of the streaming service, they don't need to hold back or water anything down.

Old 09-09-2018, 08:43 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,988,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That's your opinion. They missed the boat on what could have been one of CBM cinema's single greatest moments.
*snicker*

Old 09-10-2018, 06:27 AM

Quote:
"The Alan Moore run" — just the words I needed to hear. That's exactly what they should do, and I anticipated it. Since it's a part of the streaming service, they don't need to hold back or water anything down.
I really hope this will be good. Very much.

But I guess my brain is missing whatever neuron exists in the rest of nerd-dom that allows them to hail Alan Moore as so brilliant. I find most of his stuff either boring or just plain weird. V FOR VENDETTA I liked a lot, though even that could have used an editor. WATCHMEN was pretentious over-hyped froo-foo. (Not only does that particular emperor have no clothes, but he's flabby and needs a bath!) I tried --- really tried --- to read his SWAMP THING run. It wasn't bad. But I didn't find it all that great either. Again ... just too weird for my tastes, and not all that engaging.

https://entertainment.theonion.com/c...sil-1827750989

Old 09-10-2018, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I really hope this will be good. Very much.

But I guess my brain is missing whatever neuron exists in the rest of nerd-dom that allows them to hail Alan Moore as so brilliant. I find most of his stuff either boring or just plain weird. V FOR VENDETTA I liked a lot, though even that could have used an editor. WATCHMEN was pretentious over-hyped froo-foo. (Not only does that particular emperor have no clothes, but he's flabby and needs a bath!) I tried --- really tried --- to read his SWAMP THING run. It wasn't bad. But I didn't find it all that great either. Again ... just too weird for my tastes, and not all that engaging.
Moore's run was the best thing that happened to Swamp Thing back then: not a retread of the legendary Wein-Wrightson years, but a bold new edgy take tinged with psychedelia and eccentricities the comics medium isn't usually known for outside of certain underground titles.

That said, I don't expect an episode to adapt "The Anatomy Lesson," because that was — suffice it to say — FAR OUT, man!

Old 09-10-2018, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Moore's run was the best thing that happened to Swamp Thing back then: not a retread of the legendary Wein-Wrightson years, but a bold new edgy take tinged with psychedelia and eccentricities the comics medium isn't usually known for outside of certain underground titles.
And that is where he lost me.

When I order a hamburger, I want ground beef between two buns. You can add onions and peppers and mushrooms and hot mustard and all sorts of exotic spices and cheeses. Yum. I'll eat it up.

But reading Alan Moore is all-too-often like eating a hamburger stuffed with banana peels and beet marmalade. Is it original? Eccentric? Bold? Yeah, I guess. But it's also weird and unpleasant.

Old 09-10-2018, 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
And that is where he lost me.

When I order a hamburger, I want ground beef between two buns. You can add onions and peppers and mushrooms and hot mustard and all sorts of exotic spices and cheeses. Yum. I'll eat it up.

But reading Alan Moore is all-too-often like eating a hamburger stuffed with banana peels and beet marmalade. Is it original? Eccentric? Bold? Yeah, I guess. But it's also weird and unpleasant.
Again, a too-extreme example. What I meant is he took a relationship between two people — a woman, still human, and a man, transmogrified into a sentient vegetable — to a new realm, and he did it without a drop of sarcasm or self-awareness. It's wholly perceivable and believable, and he did it. Whereas many other writers would have glossed over it in two pages, he told it over the span of an entire issue.

And THEN we've the cosmically brilliant visuals of Stephen Bissette and John Totleben, two guys whose seamless pencil-ink tandem's something no other artist should even try to emulate because they'll crash and burn faster than a guy who traces Bernie Wrightson and other artists and tries to sell the "art" as his own (and sadly, this DID happen).

Last page (doesn't load):

https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-9Ofg-GwjW...ng+21+p+22.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.