Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2016, 05:55 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayden22 View Post
Wolverine should have been played by a young guy.
As seen in Days of Future Past, Wolverine was in fact High Jackman at that point 10 years before the events in Apocalypse so it wouldn't work to introduce an entirely new Wolverine, even with rebooting all the others in Xavier's school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2016, 06:07 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,085,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Jennifer Lawrence when she was first brought on to be Raven/Mystique in 2010 didn't have the breakthrough yet. I don't even think Fassebender and MacAvoy did either. What we knew was that she was far more talented than Rebecca Romane(-Stamos) was. As they were doing post-production Winter's Bone came out which was where she(JLaw) got her rave reviews. FYI, Mystique was HUGE in First Class and regardless of acting ability should have been in Days of Future Past due to her being the one to kill Senator Kelly in both the comic and the 90's animated series.
Rebecca's mystique is far more believable than Jlaw.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:02 PM

2,249 posts, read 2,823,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
I actually think Rebecca's mystique was more interesting. She was mysterious and deadly. Fit her code name perfectly. With Jennifer lawerences mystique she feels so blah not interesting at all really.

Old 05-30-2016, 11:04 PM

Quote:
Jennifer Lawrence when she was first brought on to be Raven/Mystique in 2010 didn't have the breakthrough yet. I don't even think Fassebender and MacAvoy did either. What we knew was that she was far more talented than Rebecca Romane(-Stamos) was. As they were doing post-production Winter's Bone came out which was where she(JLaw) got her rave reviews. FYI, Mystique was HUGE in First Class and regardless of acting ability should have been in Days of Future Past due to her being the one to kill Senator Kelly in both the comic and the 90's animated series.
You are right that in both the comics and animated series mystique is who was going to assassinate Kelly. With that being said mystique didn't show up Til the very end in those stories. In the movie she was front and center

Old 05-30-2016, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanCheetah View Post
You are right that in both the comics and animated series mystique is who was going to assassinate Kelly. With that being said mystique didn't show up Til the very end in those stories. In the movie she was front and center
The comic was cryptic on who exactly killed Kelly, the animated version stated it was an X-Men member. However it turned out to be Mystique acting as one.
Spoiler
That X-Man was Gambit

In the movie, they named it as Mystique for whatever reason. I do think it took a bit of a punch from the mystery BUT I think it work with the story on the table of how she sided with Magneto and the fact that the future sentinels had used her morph into adaptivity.

That said, I do think while RRS was a more true Mystique to an extent, JLaw was a much better actress in the tile and better character. RRS only had a few lines here and there and maybe a few scenes where Mystique got to be true to herself but there wasn't character development at all. There was just one throw away line she used in X1 that really created her character. First Class did more in the first 10 minutes to create her character and get it over.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:27 AM

28,671 posts, read 18,788,917 times
So we saw this yesterday. A couple of quick points:

1. The Kia Soul hamster commercial before the movie was quite entertaining. I'll look that one up on YouTube and watch it again.

2. During the movie, I found myself several times experiencing frustration that there was no fast forward button. I don't know about other people, but by this point I find the superhero fight scenes rather boring and would just as soon get to the next point of forward plot movement. This is especially true when the fights are between characters that we know will survive and wind up on the same side.

3. In terms of continuing interest in the franchise, it doesn't seem like X-Men is evolving. It's not even as good as the Star Wars prequels to that extent. This movie leaves them pretty much where they were at the end of the last movie--a few senior students of Charles Xavier standing out. Well, now we see why Xavier is bald...huge forward step, guys.

As I've said before, today's audience expects more out of a franchise than mere episodes in the characters' lives.

Old 05-31-2016, 08:48 AM

9,338 posts, read 7,110,408 times
It was okay. I see whyXmen is sitting at around 50% on rotten vs Captain America's 92%. it was a fun watch, but the movie didn't have much heart. And it felt like they tried to both continue on the story from the last xmen film, and also create the origins of the younger crew.

the destruction in this movie was awesome, but overall, this movie was "meh."

3 random things: I love Oscar Isaac, he's one of my favorite actors right now. Olivia Munn has some great legs. The idea of Fassbender as the next Bond is growing on me.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:22 PM

406 posts, read 288,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
Spoiler tags, guys!
lol ok

Quote:
It was most character driven putting the pieces out on the chessboard. I can understand that being boring to some but it was done to perfection in this film IMHO. I don't see how the stakes weren't high and Apocalypse was a hollow villain honestly. I thought he was pretty well done, especially once he found Charles Xavier and wanted to swap bodies with him. Maybe the one thing I could see is his survival of the fittest ideals being more in the forefront but that is a slight knock as I understood that from the one to two times it was mentioned.
Spoiler
But the manner in which they put the pieces on the chessboard was dull. A lot of the characters story arcs were pale and bland - especially that of Apocalypse. His design and character was not imposing. The stakes felt less than that of Days of Future Past, because of poor pacing and no real sense of devastation. For the end of a trilogy, a major X-Men supervillain spends the lion's share of the movie picking horsemen with no rhyme or reason, while his endgame was lackluster, all the while providing no real devastation in the form of an apocalypse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
I agree.

Old 05-31-2016, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
lol ok

Spoiler
But the manner in which they put the pieces on the chessboard was dull. A lot of the characters story arcs were pale and bland - especially that of Apocalypse. His design and character was not imposing. The stakes felt less than that of Days of Future Past, because of poor pacing and no real sense of devastation. For the end of a trilogy, a major X-Men supervillain spends the lion's share of the movie picking horsemen with no rhyme or reason, while his endgame was lackluster, all the while providing no real devastation in the form of an apocalypse.

I agree.
I agree. Like someone mentioned before, it felt more like a movie about HR Recruiting for the Four Horseman. When in reality none of that was necessary. We didn't need to see how Psylocke, Storm, and Archangel came to be, or Magneto either. With First Class we got pretty much no origin into Sebastian Shaw's team, which was fine, which I actually like, because it creates a certain mystery. When it comes to villains I think less is more. In this movie too much time wasted on the villains, especially when they really weren't doing much. Think about all the scenes where Apocalypse teleports while he is recruiting, the rest of is horseman are doing nothing, just standing there and watching. Wasteful.

Another thing
Spoiler
That was so dumb how he learned English and what was going on in the world by touching the TV. WTF was that? I think it would have been better if we just would have skipped his origin story and maybe he was waiting for the perfect time to execute his plan and bam. While he is from ancient Egypt, that's not normally the focus of Apocalypse in the comics and animated series, just a side story. In this movie there was too much about that.

Old 05-31-2016, 11:17 PM

Quote:
I agree. Like someone mentioned before, it felt more like a movie about HR Recruiting for the Four Horseman. When in reality none of that was necessary. We didn't need to see how Psylocke, Storm, and Archangel came to be, or Magneto either. With First Class we got pretty much no origin into Sebastian Shaw's team, which was fine, which I actually like, because it creates a certain mystery. When it comes to villains I think less is more. In this movie too much time wasted on the villains, especially when they really weren't doing much. Think about all the scenes where Apocalypse teleports while he is recruiting, the rest of is horseman are doing nothing, just standing there and watching. Wasteful.
I rather have backstories which in a way you got but you didn't. To me, it was basically the Hellfire Club/Brotherhood of Mutants except there wasn't team banter. For all the ones introduced, there was a bit of mystery in them that somehow didn't seem to fit to you but did with me.
Spoiler
Storm was the only one Apocalypse found without the help of Caliban because she was running around in the streets of Cairo. She wasn't treated like a god(dess) like she was in comics but rather a crook.
(Arc)Angel got his wings destroyed in a mutant underground cage fighting club. We don't know anything about Warren Worthington III and that he is supposed to be a socialite and a Tony Stark like person. Apocalypse only found him thanks to Caliban.
Psylocke was found with Caliban acting as his muscle. Nothing was given about any of her backstory whether it is of her lineage (a Braddock family member) or how her mind was implanted into an assassin.

Quote:
Another thing
Spoiler
That was so dumb how he learned English and what was going on in the world by touching the TV. WTF was that? I think it would have been better if we just would have skipped his origin story and maybe he was waiting for the perfect time to execute his plan and bam. While he is from ancient Egypt, that's not normally the focus of Apocalypse in the comics and animated series, just a side story. In this movie there was too much about that.
Spoiler
It is a deus ex machina due to the fact that rather than Apocalypse being in the shadows since ancient Egypt, he was entombed by an inside job. It was kind of the 80's way Ultron learned about the evils of Stark, Rogers, et all from Avengers: Age of Ultron. I think you needed to introduce him the way they did, to get you to understand it. I've heard that X-Men: Apocalypse was inside baseball but I don't really see it as it was an adapted story. Listen, I want Deadpool and Batman V. Superman inside baseball movies too, but a mysterious villain, I don't. It worked with Darth Vader but only because George Lucas had the idea of him being Luke's father from day 1, it just was too much for the first story. I don't think we exactly saw the end of Apocalypse, but he needed to be built up rather than be some guy who is a villain with no explaination or is MCU'd. Like his portrayal or not, Apocalypse by FAR, is one of the better developed villains we have seen in CBMs since the MCU era started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies