Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 08:17 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Well, I did say, "I'm basing it on an assumption ..."
Sorry, badly phrased. "Why do you have that assumption?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 08:28 AM

28,662 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Sorry, badly phrased. "Why do you have that assumption?"
Because "monopoly on violence" has been a standard goal of kings since Sargon.

Old 08-24-2016, 08:46 AM

Quote:
I wonder how revolutions succeed then?

Old 08-24-2016, 08:50 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,136,596 times
Quote:
Quote:
I wonder how revolutions succeed then?
Because the strongman leader was not able meet or maintain his goal of having a monopoly of violence. And/or those with the commission to use violence against the people refused to do so.

Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Because the strongman leader was not able meet or maintain his goal of having a monopoly of violence. And/or those with the commission to use violence against the people refused to do so.
But the boss had a monopoly on violence...

Old 08-24-2016, 09:09 AM

Quote:
But the boss had a monopoly on violence...
I said "standard goal."

Old 08-24-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
I said "standard goal."

Old 10-17-2016, 02:44 PM

3,110 posts, read 1,986,436 times
There's been something that I have been wondering about for a while. I have been wondering if this movie influenced season three of TV's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. And the reason why I say that is because the production of X-Men Apocalypse started before the 2015-2016 third season of AOS and there are so many similarities between the two.

In season three of AOS, the main villain:

Hive/Alveus wants to destroy/change the world into the image of the Inhumans the same way that Apocalypse wants to destroy/change the world into the image of mutants.

Hive/Alveus is very ancient and returns to this world and watches television to catch up with what is going on in the world similar to the way that Apocalypse does.

Hive/Alveus is very parental and protective of the Inhumans the same way as Apocalypse is of mutants who are on his side.

Hive/Alveus changes the thinking of Inhumans who are under his 'sway.' Apocalypse does the same thing to mutants who are under his influence.

Hive/Alveus can change is body into small sand-like particles. So can Apocalypse.

Therefore, is this a coincidence or perhaps an inadvertent osmosis of two Marvel-related projects that were developed around the same time... or did one intentionally borrow from the other? Hmmm.

Old 10-17-2016, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Taylor View Post
There's been something that I have been wondering about for a while. I have been wondering if this movie influenced season three of TV's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. And the reason why I say that is because the production of X-Men Apocalypse started before the 2015-2016 third season of AOS and there are so many similarities between the two.

In season three of AOS, the main villain:

Hive/Alveus wants to destroy/change the world into the image of the Inhumans the same way that Apocalypse wants to destroy/change the world into the image of mutants.

Hive/Alveus is very ancient and returns to this world and watches television to catch up with what is going on in the world similar to the way that Apocalypse does.

Hive/Alveus is very parental and protective of the Inhumans the same way as Apocalypse is of mutants who are on his side.

Hive/Alveus changes the thinking of Inhumans who are under his 'sway.' Apocalypse does the same thing to mutants who are under his influence.

Hive/Alveus can change is body into small sand-like particles. So can Apocalypse.

Therefore, is this a coincidence or perhaps an inadvertent osmosis of two Marvel-related projects that were developed around the same time... or did one intentionally borrow from the other? Hmmm.
I think you need to compare their comic origins.

Old 10-17-2016, 05:30 PM

3,680 posts, read 2,962,528 times
Always have been plenty of apocalyptically themed movies. The trend is certainly up it would seem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies