Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 02:17 PM

6 posts, read 14,548 times

Advertisements

History channel has a mega disasters on as I type called oil apocalypse. It amazes me how so many people in the world can only see 2 feet ahead of themselfs.
Then you have the Limbaughs "there is no oil problem" attitude.
Hubbart a shell oil geol. in the 50s said that us oil peak production would come in the very early 70s, he was called a kook and nutbar. Now it is showen he was right. He also said world peak oil would peak around 2005, and it looks like he may have been right. In the early 50s the us produced 20 million bbls of oil a day and used 8, it exported the rest, now it uses 20 million and growing and produces only 7.6 a day. This is a masive train reck in the making.
The show said that the reason the saudis are cutting back production is because they have peaked and do not want any one to know.

I am old enough to remember the oil shortages of the 70s and how bad it is when this takes you by surprise. demand is going up and the stupid hummer mentality is hanging on in this country.
We need a government that is proactive not prayer active.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 02:23 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Nope..not going to happen. Oil companies have squashed or put on the back burner any alternate fuel research. It would take years and years to convert us.

Soon enough gas will be $5/gal and we'll be hurting.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:50 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,064,897 times
Gas prices are going to keep going up, get used to it. There are no magic pills in our future. Ethanol, biodiesel, and hydrogen are very cruel jokes ( played on gullible policymakers and the public) from the standpoint of anybody with a familiarity with accounting concepts like EROEI and scientific concepts like thermodynamics. The sources of oil in the world are quite limited compared to the potential demand (6 1/2-9 billion people) and the alternatives do not give much of a return vs. the amount of energy it takes to produce them.

Cave men subsisted on 10 calories of food energy for every calorie they spent looking for food. Oil gives us about 100 calories for every 1 calorie of energy used to extract and process it. Corn ethanol gives you about 12 calories for every ten to make it... doesn't sound so rosy does it? You can't afford to waste any ethanol under that scenario, which would lead to a very austere life. Lots of manual labor and conservation, etc. Not practical. We'd all be slaving away in the fields just to feed our cars. I would think most people would rather choose mass suicide in that case, wouldn't you?

It is good other people are thinking about it though.

If people had to throw money somewhere, they'd be far better off spending the money on ways to cut transportation fuel usage, such as public transportation projects, walkable community projects, bicycle and motorcycle lanes, etc. As long as our rate of conservation excedes our rate of depletion, our way of life will be sustainable. Who knows, that might buy us enough time to find alternative sources of energy, real ones, like fusion power.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:05 PM

20,346 posts, read 19,937,992 times
Why don't we build what we know works such as nuke plants and more wind driven generators?

Who could be against those?

Old 02-24-2008, 12:29 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc1 View Post
Why don't we build what we know works such as nuke plants and more wind driven generators?

Who could be against those?
Why the oil companies of course !

Old 02-24-2008, 03:19 PM

1,763 posts, read 5,999,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Nope..not going to happen. Oil companies have squashed or put on the back burner any alternate fuel research. It would take years and years to convert us.
Good point. And if anyone doubts that, check out the documentary Who Killed the Electric Car.

Warning: It'll make you mad!

Old 02-24-2008, 03:27 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,312,066 times
Well, if we get the oil shale in colorado working, we will have the largest reserve of accessible oil in the world with enough oil at current consumption for atleast 100 years, purely sustaining ourselves.

But, the people screaming peak oil won't tell you that.

About Oil Shale

Old 02-24-2008, 03:56 PM

595 posts, read 2,344,803 times
We won't get it working.

We need actual good train systems that can supplement the use of the auto in this country, period.

Old 02-24-2008, 04:04 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,074,203 times
Jwild,

There was no oil shortage in the 70's. Your talking the lines at the gas station, or the you can only have 10 gallons, or....

I was working in the oil fields in the 70's. There was no shortage of oil. We capped over 70% of the wells by order of the company. They wanted to create a better demand. They got it. They rationed everybody for 6 months and then opened up production some. At about a 30% increase in price. Although I no longer work in the oil fields, I can tell you that a lot of those wells are still capped.

Even Opec said last week in a statement. "We raised to price and lowered the production to keep the demand up."

Seems that Oil, is much like Diamonds. Only so much let loose a year so they can keep the demand and prices up.

Old 02-24-2008, 08:32 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,168,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwild View Post
History channel has a mega disasters on as I type called oil apocalypse. It amazes me how so many people in the world can only see 2 feet ahead of themselfs.
Then you have the Limbaughs "there is no oil problem" attitude.
Hubbart a shell oil geol. in the 50s said that us oil peak production would come in the very early 70s, he was called a kook and nutbar. Now it is showen he was right. He also said world peak oil would peak around 2005, and it looks like he may have been right. In the early 50s the us produced 20 million bbls of oil a day and used 8, it exported the rest, now it uses 20 million and growing and produces only 7.6 a day. This is a masive train reck in the making.
The show said that the reason the saudis are cutting back production is because they have peaked and do not want any one to know.

I am old enough to remember the oil shortages of the 70s and how bad it is when this takes you by surprise. demand is going up and the stupid hummer mentality is hanging on in this country.
We need a government that is proactive not prayer active.
The oil shortages of the 70s were not real shortages. They were caused by the OPEC members to punish the United States for supporting Israel. Everyone I knew at the time all agreed that it was about money. Price goes up, oil is now available. I have no reason to suspect that the next so-called shortage will be any different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies