Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 02:27 PM

22,925 posts, read 28,298,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
I'm going to assume it was the neck snap that got to you.
Not really. Even though I do think the neck snap was a mistake, I had long since grown disgusted by the movie at that point. The entire last third of the movie was just a long fight scene. Boring. And honestly, Superman came off as either stupid or callous. Not once did he try to lead the battle out of populated areas. That wasn't Superman. That was a director/fanboy playing his favorite video game. But Snyder's movies all have a sense of the video game about them. He's high on style but rarely shows much substance.

Quote:
Yeah, I gotta check it out. It also has LeGuiz, and he's underrated.
In Chef, LeGuiz steals every scene he is in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
And Slither is a B-movie.
But it was a great movie. So more of a B+ movie.

Old 01-10-2016, 04:31 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,625,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Not really. Even though I do think the neck snap was a mistake, I had long since grown disgusted by the movie at that point. The entire last third of the movie was just a long fight scene. Boring. And honestly, Superman came off as either stupid or callous. Not once did he try to lead the battle out of populated areas. That wasn't Superman. That was a director/fanboy playing his favorite video game. But Snyder's movies all have a sense of the video game about them. He's high on style but rarely shows much substance.
I reckon movies like 300 and SuckerPunch have tipped the scales slightly against Snyder. They're cited often as vapid, empty vessels that are flashy yet weightless. I haven't seen SuckerPunch, but I didn't care for 300. And as you already know, I love Watchmen.

The third act of Man of Steel has been debated ad infinitum on various message boards I post to. I won't go there again (it's all out there), but I'll simply recap that Superman doesn't mirror "Golden Age Superman" in MoS because he's an inexperienced hero who is forced to battle, at whatever cost (it's very important to acknowledge that), no fewer than three superpowered beings with the same abilities. Such a scenario can follow only a disastrous pattern of trial-and-error, and to that end, the film depicted those conflicts correctly. By the end, we see a Kal-el who has clearly figured things out. And it's far preferable to the forgettable Superman remake Bryan Singer made. Man of Steel was the Superman movie we needed to see. I think it's one of the best CBMs out there along with The Dark Knight, Batman Begins, Iron Man, the Captain America movies and the original Superman.

Plus, Superman has killed in the comics. It's rare, but it's happened.

Quote:
In Chef, LeGuiz steals every scene he is in.
LeGuiz, along with Asia Argento, is one of the reasons I like Land of the Dead more than I ought to. The overall cast was decent, but LeGuiz pretty much owned that movie.

Quote:
But it was a great movie. So more of a B+ movie.
I can go with that. It's certainly better than a bad "B" horror movie like Night Train to Terror. Ever see that? Let me know if you can get through it. I couldn't, and that's rare for me, the King of B Horror.

Old 05-09-2016, 06:33 PM

Looks like another movie I'll be perfectly to wait to see on DVD. Too bad.

The First Reviews of X-Men Apocalypse Are In, and They're 'Meh'

Old 05-10-2016, 04:46 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,550,226 times
Quote:
I reckon movies like 300 and SuckerPunch have tipped the scales slightly against Snyder. They're cited often as vapid, empty vessels that are flashy yet weightless. I haven't seen SuckerPunch, but I didn't care for 300. And as you already know, I love Watchmen.

I really liked Sucker Punch myself I saw in at the movies. The problem with that it many people were clueless as to why they didn't show her dancing. Many don't get it when it comes to movies like that.
Hot girls shooting big guns was all they wanted to see. I didn't like Watchmen until I sit down & read the graphic novel. After I read it then I watched the movie again I loved it. 300 was good the first time I saw it, then I had some friend's of mine point out some thing about it & I wasn't able to watch it again.

Like with Civil War I'm in no hurry to see X-Men Apocalypse for the same reason's too many vital people missing from the story line.

Old 05-10-2016, 09:12 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,625,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Like with Civil War I'm in no hurry to see X-Men Apocalypse for the same reason's too many vital people missing from the story line.
No idea if I'm going to see Apocalypse in theaters, but Olivia Munn looks hot as hell (as usual). I'm going to see Civil War tonight. Yes, too many characters are missing. Daredevil should be in the movie.

Old 05-10-2016, 10:01 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
Looks like another movie I'll be perfectly to wait to see on DVD. Too bad.

The First Reviews of X-Men Apocalypse Are In, and They're 'Meh'
I am not sure. I'm going to see this movie with fresh eyes. I don't pay attention to these anymore. I either like something or hate it at first and then see reviews and think to myself I agree or entirely disagree. This looks like a good movie but I'll reserve my judgement on it for when I see it memorial day weekend. The question is, do I see this or Alice first...

Old 05-10-2016, 12:41 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,550,226 times
Quote:
No idea if I'm going to see Apocalypse in theaters, but Olivia Munn looks hot as hell (as usual). I'm going to see Civil War tonight. Yes, too many characters are missing. Daredevil should be in the movie.

I just picked up Dead Pool today at the store. I can wait for Civil War considering it's comes on later this year on DVD I can wait on seeing it. Same with BVS I think it hits DVD this August the guy said.

Movies are hitting DVD just months after they are in the theater.

Old 05-21-2016, 08:00 PM

11,199 posts, read 9,094,472 times
Quote:
I just picked up Dead Pool today at the store. I can wait for Civil War considering it's comes on later this year on DVD I can wait on seeing it. Same with BVS I think it hits DVD this August the guy said.

Movies are hitting DVD just months after they are in the theater.
There were pretty good telesync of deadpool and Cap civil wars a couple of weeks after they came out.

This movie is basura (trash)!! Apocalypse was not done properly. In some scene, Storm is the same height or taller in some scenes. I hope they reboot this entire franchise as it was a disaster from Xmen 1 to 3, First Class, DOFP, and now this turd! (xmen 1 and 2 had its good moments though)

Old 05-21-2016, 10:42 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,920,695 times
Quote:
I think it is a bit different considering the universe rules. I believe that from the Fantastic Four until Civil War, it was ret conned that there was only seven years that transpired between the comics. Cyclops, Jean and Beast were all in their teens at that point. Now compare that to the movies, Marsden and Jensen both looked to be in their early to mid 30's meaning that there was little way that they would indeed be Xavier's first class in 1962 unless the 80's tech in the X-Men world was super advanced compared to the real world.

That meant for X-Men: First Class, Matthew Vaughn had to take liberties with the characters to mostly fit the timeline. This is why Beast was the only original X-Men member of the team. Besides a random sighting of Hank McCoy and Sebastian Shaw debating mutants in X2 and the amnesia of Xavier not knowing Mystique, it pretty much fit the timeline honestly. X3 and Wolverine Origins entirely deserved to be ret conned out of existence so any confusion with those movies vs First Class shouldn't be relevant.

Given the universe rules, I will give a pass to Apocalypse on paper. So long as the big guy don't die (and he could just return to his Lazarus chamber anyway) we can see Cable come in and have issues with a returning Apocalypse in X-Force movies after he is introduced in Deadpool 2.

As I said earlier, I want to see the film before I give my opinion on if it stunk or not. I hear it stunk but I often don't always see the issues critics have whether it is a popcorn flick or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies