Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2016, 11:11 AM

28,711 posts, read 18,891,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't see the issue in this Captain America costume. The 70's and 90's versions though are laughable. Just Google image search them.
Hey, they dropped the buccaneer boots--thumbs up!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2016, 11:39 AM

22,953 posts, read 28,371,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
That said, I don't see any problem with Psylocke's outfit. I think it's just you.
You don't think it's silly? Not even a little? A purple swimsuit and thigh high boots?

If all you're hoping for in a movie is a scantily clad actress, the entire Internet awaits you.

Old 05-23-2016, 12:07 PM

11,201 posts, read 9,124,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by the happy guy View Post
To put it simply, X-Men: Apocalypse was a failed "up the ante" entry into the series. Quicksilver was fun, and Jean Grey has "that moment," but the overall storytelling was bad and boring. What a waste.
Quicksilver was just a redo of DOFP. IMO, it was too soon for Jean to have "that moment." Bryan is going to rush that event like he did for the original series (x1 and x2)

Apocalypse was rush too. This dude is one of the main villains of the X-men. He was short. Storm was taller than him on some scenes. They should have hired Shaq or some really tall dude.

Magneto is so emo. Dude, everyone loses someone they love not just you!

Old 05-23-2016, 01:20 PM

8,609 posts, read 5,643,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
If all you're hoping for in a movie is a scantily clad actress, the entire Internet awaits you.

You know it!

Old 05-23-2016, 02:32 PM

406 posts, read 289,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ryu View Post
Quicksilver was just a redo of DOFP. IMO, it was too soon for Jean to have "that moment." Bryan is going to rush that event like he did for the original series (x1 and x2)

Apocalypse was rush too. This dude is one of the main villains of the X-men. He was short. Storm was taller than him on some scenes. They should have hired Shaq or some really tall dude.

Magneto is so emo. Dude, everyone loses someone they love not just you!
Yes, the film played like a compilation of previous entries. The Quicksilver scenes and the Jean Grey moment - in and of itself - were marvelous. However, as part of the story, they are indeed rehashed and rushed, respectively. Jean Grey's character arc definitely felt rushed and underdeveloped. Storm was simply undeveloped. Still, the aforementioned scenes itself won't salvage the film. Then there's the reoccurring plot pivoting around Magneto "lifting for evil deeds" having to be talked off a ledge. On a different note, Apocalypse design was terrible, but we knew that since the photo reveals. They really should have utilized the "ancient look" throughout the film. Unfortunately, Apocalypse's character arc suffered an anemic development too. Didn't really feel like the end was nigh either. I thought the film was just an inside look into the human resources (recruitment) department of Apocalypse. No real sense of devastation.

Old 05-28-2016, 02:57 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,488,115 times
I should have gone with my gut and you k a pass, I've seen worse and it had some mildly entertaining moments, but, I had a feeling this would be better left for DVD viewing at most. They need to leave x-men of the past right there and go with the elder gang if they insist on making another. However, I am curious what's to come of those tubes of blood from woverine???¿ will there be an army of mini wolvies. . No matter I'll wait for the DVD either way.

Old 05-28-2016, 06:37 PM

29,532 posts, read 22,789,468 times
Slightly under performing at the box office compared to the last X-men film also released on Memorial Day period.

Super hero fatigue? I'm wondering how much more audiences are willing to see non stop CGI fests of super heroes beating everyone up and saving the world in non stop combat in and throughout metropolitan skyscrapers.

I'll go see it but I'm looking forward to Suicide Squad.

Old 05-28-2016, 08:34 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,979,931 times
I must be off because these were MY X-Men. I grew up on the nineties Fox animated series and I loved this movie for that version of the team on the big screen like I've waited for since 1999 when I saw the teaser poster when I was going to see Toy Story 2. Were there some bad, yes but this was nearly Winter Soldier good. Best CBM of the year by far.

FYI, the CGI fests are only bad when there is no reason for it. If you can do CBMs featuring powered individuals rather than say a Batman, Nightwing or Green Arrow, based around practical effects, show me and the studios how to do it. FYI, Suicide Squad looks like a CGI fest just as Apocalypse was. You can't tell me there isn't going to be CGI in it. Maybe Wonder Woman could be the only non CGI CBM to come out in the next few years.

Old 05-29-2016, 12:38 AM

2,249 posts, read 2,833,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I must be off because these were MY X-Men. I grew up on the nineties Fox animated series and I loved this movie for that version of the team on the big screen like I've waited for since 1999 when I saw the teaser poster when I was going to see Toy Story 2. Were there some bad, yes but this was nearly Winter Soldier good. Best CBM of the year by far.

FYI, the CGI fests are only bad when there is no reason for it. If you can do CBMs featuring powered individuals rather than say a Batman, Nightwing or Green Arrow, based around practical effects, show me and the studios how to do it. FYI, Suicide Squad looks like a CGI fest just as Apocalypse was. You can't tell me there isn't going to be CGI in it. Maybe Wonder Woman could be the only non CGI CBM to come out in the next few years.
Saying this movie was close in quality to winter soldier is absurd. Plot was all over the place. Too many subplots that were unnecessary. This movie could of easily scrapped a few characters like Mystique. It's not as bad as the critics are making it out to be but I wouldn't say good. Average at best.

I think what really detracts from this is Apocalypse. He isn't scary, intimidating or interesting. He looks terrible, and his whole motive is just so rushed. I mean he wakes up after 2000+ year nap, and says ok I've been awake for less than 24 hours let me destroy the world. Yeah ok. Apocalypse tends to be more calculating and strategic. This villain was just dumb. Same for his horseman, we barely got to see them in action, and when we did they were disappointing.

I think if a lot of the subplots were removed, take out some uneccesary characters to the plot line (mystique, quicksilver, havok, and even Moira mcraggert was pointless to have in this movie),and apocalypse and his horseman were executed better (like auschwitz scene it was like he was taking them on a school field trip it felt) and put more time and energy to cyclops, Jean, night crawler etc, I think the movie would have been much better.

I actually wanted to see more of Jean, Scott, night crawler, and heck even jubilee. I found them more intriguing than mystique, beast or magneto. Also magnetos subplot was pointless such a waste of time. Although his daughters powers were cool.

Also not sure what planet you are on but claiming these are your X-men when mystique is a main character and leader of the X-men is definitely not MY X-men from the comics or 90s animated series where mystique was a side villain and nothing more, and psylocke was never a villain but a key member of the x-men. Not sure what x-men you grew up with....

Old 05-29-2016, 05:57 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,979,931 times
The 90's animated series of course. To me it was just that just in this movie universe. At times it was light hearted and during others it was a high stakes splash page fight which for Civil War as I look back, their splash page fight while epic, wasn't exactly as high stakes. Had this sort of scene been in Days of Future Past, perhaps I would have loved that one more. The one knock was that Jubilee was all but cut out of the film but I hope it was just a Rogue cut thing where it was removed for pacing (boy does Days of Future Past: The Rogue Cut drag.) I also get that Psylocke wasn't on the team but when you have some 200+ characters to choose from (several were easter egg students like Kid Omega from New X-Men (the stripe shifted kid at Xavier's school) you will want to cycle outs characters. Also Psylocke in the animated series wasn't evil nor was she good and there were several who did switch in that series. The Mystique comment thigh, I don't agree that she was just a side villain, she was a head villain especially in the animated series Days of Future Past two-parter.

I feel Havok was used the best in this movie after barely used at all in Days of Future Past and just being the stereotypical cocky jock in First Class. I really got that he was loving of his much younger brother. Jean Grey was the best Jean I've seen outside of the comics. And when I say that, I include the animated series because she was just "ahhh" when something would be too strong to deal with on her mental block. Cyclops was nearly animated series good. That one scene spoiled in the trailers in the facility was an amazing monent for fans. Then Quicksilver who was one of the best parts of Days of Future Past was even better with an even better high speed scene that was funny despite the high stakes.

Also I know it is kind of meta but it was awesome.to see the X-Mansion destroyed after the Deadpool joke. Also the third one is never as good joke was funny.

This like Batman V. Superman had me on the edge of my seat for this ride. Civil War didn't do that but it was still a great film in its own right. I guess I saw something way different than most did. I'm sorry if that is an outlier but it was my X-Men and unlike another third X-Men movie, it was FAR from a letdown and didn't kiss on the other two that came before it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Movies