Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2021, 08:10 PM

5,024 posts, read 9,280,637 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
I agree with your sentiments, and thankfully the downtown area's new code already got rid of the parking minimum. I know the city is "planning" on building at least 2 more garages - 1 in the area of Washington and Dauphin and another northwest of Bienville Square.
Any renderings ? I like the one Rocket showed in Huntsville.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 09:04 PM

1,513 posts, read 1,903,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Any renderings ? I like the one Rocket showed in Huntsville.
Nothing that advanced yet. Just planning

Old 04-27-2021, 09:04 PM

1,378 posts, read 1,254,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
A new downtown garage just opened here (pretty sure it's open - may be near opening) with retail shops on the first floor. That should make it more aesthetically appealing.

https://www.crunkletonassociates.com...arking-garage/

Dude that's pretty cool, would love to see Downtown Mobile mimic that

Old 04-28-2021, 01:34 AM

268 posts, read 210,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evlb401 View Post
Industrial Urbanism: Conceptualizing Industrial and Residential Mixed Use for Compact, Economically Developed and Walkable City | by Mostafizur Rahman | Medium

http://aecom.com/without-limits/arti...or-our-cities/

Residents can co-exist with industrial. Plus the industry in that area is dying. Most have left for Theodore. I think a single trucking company owns the majority of the land in the area. The rest is the jail, vacant land, and bail bond companies. There are a few historic houses mixed in too. The streets are almost empty and with very little traffic.

The river front would most likely stay industrial. The views from a low rise apartment of the working harbor would be great.
I agree man. I think a cool concept for that area would be to build apartments/condos in an old warehouse type of style. I know a lot of cities are turning their former warehouse districts into cool and vibrant areas. Naturally the city thought it was wise destroying EVERY single warehouse outside of the one at St. Louis and Water street. I really like the look of that former warehouse and think if you were able to blend new construction in with the industry like that then it would give the area a unique feel. In my opinion, it would look better than if a bunch of apartments in that meridian at the port style were built over there.

Old 04-28-2021, 02:51 PM

13,298 posts, read 9,846,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
Dude that's pretty cool, would love to see Downtown Mobile mimic that
Of course, the real building never looks quite as nice as the renderings. I think the last couple of views may be actual pictures.

Old 04-28-2021, 06:45 PM

3,033 posts, read 3,656,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
Of course, the real building never looks quite as nice as the renderings. I think the last couple of views may be actual pictures.
actually it looks pretty much like the renderings. This is where Dollar General is putting a downtown DGX store. DGX is not your typical Dollar General store. The concept came to life when customer research determined that millennials were one of the largest segments shopping at Dollar Generals. Soon after, the company revealed plans to open the original DGX stores in key metropolitan markets across America. Now, Huntsville will join the ranks of larger cities such as Nashville, Raleigh, Philadelphia, Cleveland, and others who have welcomed a DGX into its city center.

another garage nearing completion downtown

Old 04-28-2021, 06:58 PM

I'd imagine any new parking garages in downtown Mobile would be more designed to incorporate the historical character of downtown. I doubt the ARB or CRC would approve anything too "different"

Old 04-29-2021, 07:56 AM

139 posts, read 217,024 times
I was riding down Dauphin Street and saw that there is a food hall coming called The Insider, I believe. Anyone know anything about this project?

Old 04-29-2021, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by port25 View Post
I was riding down Dauphin Street and saw that there is a food hall coming called The Insider, I believe. Anyone know anything about this project?
Is this in the 500-block of Dauphin? (near Dauphin and Lawrence)

If so, this is being developed by the O'Daly's owner with other backing.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:41 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,254,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsky View Post
Is this in the 500-block of Dauphin? (near Dauphin and Lawrence)

If so, this is being developed by the O'Daly's owner with other backing.

What does it entail? I haven't heard of this until now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area