Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2020, 02:24 AM

314 posts, read 254,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
That would have been perfect but it would've taken away more downtown water front. The 300 ft height would be perfect north or west downtown.More so west imo
Because it would add density on the west end of downtown.The developer was from Mobile and when the developer died so did the project.

Greers is building an " upscale: grocery on St. Luis with a glass atrium.So that means that the Gov/broad location may close smh.I know Greers is local but I Aldi,Rouses,or Publix would have been perfect.

https://www.al.com/news/mobile/2019/...or-mobile.html
Yeah you’re right, It would take away The small waterfront we utilize. Not only did he die, the fail was when the economic collapse of 2008 was taking place. do you think something like pikes place would be nice for part of the riverfront? I think they have plans for something on the north side of the convention center on the river but yeah atleast they have the blue cranes out of the way.

I would say greers is more regional( central gulf coast) not like Bruno’s but aspires to get there. do you remember Bruno’s and belle foods ? . Man I looooooove rouses. Let me say it one more time. I looove rouses lol. But yeah I think Mobile is trying to preserve its identity for now by putting a locally owned store as the main grocery store for now; maybe in the future another could fit down there.

At this point in time it seems Mobile is trying to build from within And I love it. If I move dt which I probably will within the next year but anyway I hope a foosacklys is incorporated somewhere dt( I’m not just saying that bc it’s local. I never thought id debate about tenders but good googly moogly. ) Rumor is secret scientist clothing brand (suuuper popular Has a store in bel air currently)is probably going to open a flagship store dt. Just another way to draw younger ppl dt to spend money and I’m here for it. And since I mentioned SS I have to mention another huge clothing line called tu-Lon-es which will probably follow suit of opening a brick and mortar dt.Ik you guys on here don’t care much for stuff like that but it’s development being done by Some young local guys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 02:26 PM

205 posts, read 197,062 times
I was told by someone from CSX that part of the reason that Water Street Landing never got going is you can only build about 2 stories on part of that land because of the Bankhead. You can't dig a foundation and can only build on a slab. Between that and being right up against the train tracks it would've been a difficult build. I really wish something could've been developed back in the 90s across the river where Austal started up. It's a beautiful view of downtown from over there. Of course getting Austal worked out really well for Mobile, I just like the view from over there.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:10 PM

5,024 posts, read 9,268,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MardiGras251 View Post
Yeah you’re right, It would take away The small waterfront we utilize. Not only did he die, the fail was when the economic collapse of 2008 was taking place. do you think something like pikes place would be nice for part of the riverfront? I think they have plans for something on the north side of the convention center on the river but yeah atleast they have the blue cranes out of the way.

I would say greers is more regional( central gulf coast) not like Bruno’s but aspires to get there. do you remember Bruno’s and belle foods ? . Man I looooooove rouses. Let me say it one more time. I looove rouses lol. But yeah I think Mobile is trying to preserve its identity for now by putting a locally owned store as the main grocery store for now; maybe in the future another could fit down there.

At this point in time it seems Mobile is trying to build from within And I love it. If I move dt which I probably will within the next year but anyway I hope a foosacklys is incorporated somewhere dt( I’m not just saying that bc it’s local. I never thought id debate about tenders but good googly moogly. ) Rumor is secret scientist clothing brand (suuuper popular Has a store in bel air currently)is probably going to open a flagship store dt. Just another way to draw younger ppl dt to spend money and I’m here for it. And since I mentioned SS I have to mention another huge clothing line called tu-Lon-es which will probably follow suit of opening a brick and mortar dt.Ik you guys on here don’t care much for stuff like that but it’s development being done by Some young local guys.
I know the owner of SS ! He mentioned on FB the other day about a second location.A DT flagship store would be great.Never heard of Tu-Lon-es but it would be welcomed.Tony and I are around the same age, early to mid 30's.Thanks for for calling me young lol.

Foo would do great downtown and I'm pro Foo but I think Gold Finger is better ( I know it's blasphemous).

Old 09-20-2020, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eshore78 View Post
I was told by someone from CSX that part of the reason that Water Street Landing never got going is you can only build about 2 stories on part of that land because of the Bankhead. You can't dig a foundation and can only build on a slab. Between that and being right up against the train tracks it would've been a difficult build. I really wish something could've been developed back in the 90s across the river where Austal started up. It's a beautiful view of downtown from over there. Of course getting Austal worked out really well for Mobile, I just like the view from over there.
That makes sense.

Old 09-23-2020, 10:46 AM

139 posts, read 216,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MardiGras251 View Post

Wow....I sure hope the SS store and Tulones store really come to fruition. It's great to see minorities have a foot in the DT scene. I would like to see other minorities join in as well. A Foo downtown would be great, I thought it had been mentioned before that they had a space. I dont forsee our waterfront expanding much unfortunately. Hopefully the Mardi gras park will be built up and become a focal point.

Old 09-23-2020, 06:02 PM

314 posts, read 254,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by port25 View Post
Wow....I sure hope the SS store and Tulones store really come to fruition. It's great to see minorities have a foot in the DT scene. I would like to see other minorities join in as well. A Foo downtown would be great, I thought it had been mentioned before that they had a space. I dont forsee our waterfront expanding much unfortunately. Hopefully the Mardi gras park will be built up and become a focal point.
Ikr... SS actually had a store on lakeside in the same shopping plaza of Jamaican vibes called fly times in the early 2010s before he had the store in the mall. Tulones just bought a small warehouse so ig that means they’re also growing. Minorities are operating those companies but what makes them successful is the support is diverse.
I know mr fusiatti has to be looking at a dt foo. I used to work in pcola and of course I ate lunch there frequently and their foo stores are just as packed as they are here. I haven’t been to the foo in t town or auburn but it’s apparent he’s growing. But as far as them already having a dt , idk.
The only way I ever see the waterfront expanding is if the water street ramp is removed.

Old 09-24-2020, 03:40 PM

19 posts, read 23,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by port25 View Post

https://www.cityofmobile.org/bids/?bid=2316

It looks like the city has a bid posted for improvements to Mardi Gras Park but it doesn't list what work will be done. Hopefully they're moving forward on the planned open-air market.

Old 09-24-2020, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allegroreyees View Post
https://www.cityofmobile.org/bids/?bid=2316

It looks like the city has a bid posted for improvements to Mardi Gras Park but it doesn't list what work will be done. Hopefully they're moving forward on the planned open-air market.
About time.I just ask that it will be an innovative and unique attraction .For the sake of all Mobilians just give it some thought please. That is prime downtown location make it count.

At one time the city mentioned an elaborate illuminating water fountain display. I think that would be really cool for that park especially if the lights are in sync with the skyline. The Christmas and Mardi Gras tree with a beautiful water display in the back ground would be dope.

I hope the proposed pedestrian bridge that would connect the park to the water front is still apart of the plan also.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pin...2709799421519/

Old 09-24-2020, 07:50 PM

Check out the skyline from what appears to be north west.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFiM__bl...=14ytp3gvh1k25

Old 09-25-2020, 07:03 PM

19 posts, read 23,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
About time.I just ask that it will be an innovative and unique attraction .For the sake of all Mobilians just give it some thought please. That is prime downtown location make it count.

At one time the city mentioned an elaborate illuminating water fountain display. I think that would be really cool for that park especially if the lights are in sync with the skyline. The Christmas and Mardi Gras tree with a beautiful water display in the back ground would be dope.

I hope the proposed pedestrian bridge that would connect the park to the water front is still apart of the plan also.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.pin...2709799421519/

I thought that pedestrian bridge was originally a part of the Maritime Museum plan that was cut to save money. I haven't heard of any plans to build it recently.

Speaking of Gulfquest, I haven't heard much news about them lately. I wonder how they are doing without the cruise ship or conventions bringing people to town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area