Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area
 [Register]
Mobile area Mobile County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2021, 09:33 AM

1,378 posts, read 1,253,097 times

Advertisements

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgA4FJWIjI8
*Video on Downtown parking minimums*

I say get rid of the parking minimum, no off street parking. They are absolutely ugly. St Louis Street is riddled with them, makes the street more awful than it actually is. I say at the corners of the I-10 we place one or 2 public parking decks and then a deck of public parking decks around the center of downtown (but you have to pay a premium). For the I-165 side of downtown you can place the parking deck next to the bus hub and commuters can transit from there, or bike. On the 1-10 side parking decks you can make a mini bus hub that takes you throughout downtown as well with biking options
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2021, 09:46 AM

1,512 posts, read 1,901,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natedoggbry View Post
Mardi Gras park has nowhere to sit but on the grass. It’s been years since that park had its phase 1 done, what are we waiting for with phase 2?!?
I believe Phase 2 is happening soon. The open air market space is still not part of it, but would be if enough private money comes forward. They will be adding more seating and paved space. (see below)

https://mobileenergov.tylertech.com/...d-4a4257766de1

Old 04-27-2021, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evlb401 View Post
Yes, Fort Conde Inn will operate the restaurant, but it will be open to the public. I believe the bar was from a historic restaurant that was demolished in St. Louis.

The hotel operator is thinking about building apartments south of the restaurant building. He is interested in the land to the south if ALDOT ever chooses to abandon it and turn it over to the city.

I think the jail should be moved and there should be an attempt to redevelop/reclaim the area south of downtown. That area has some of the best views of downtown.

For me I think it's best for development to stay away from the area. The interstate creates a great divider between the local residences and industries of the port, which I personally like. I'd argue one of the few interstates in the country that creates a beneficial divide of areas. I do agree that the prison should be moved to a less residence heavy area, highway 43 comes to mind. But shouldn't be redeveloped into residential/commercial uses should stay in industrial use

Old 04-27-2021, 12:03 PM

498 posts, read 476,122 times
Industrial Urbanism: Conceptualizing Industrial and Residential Mixed Use for Compact, Economically Developed and Walkable City | by Mostafizur Rahman | Medium

http://aecom.com/without-limits/arti...or-our-cities/

Residents can co-exist with industrial. Plus the industry in that area is dying. Most have left for Theodore. I think a single trucking company owns the majority of the land in the area. The rest is the jail, vacant land, and bail bond companies. There are a few historic houses mixed in too. The streets are almost empty and with very little traffic.

The river front would most likely stay industrial. The views from a low rise apartment of the working harbor would be great.

Old 04-27-2021, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Industrial Urbanism: Conceptualizing Industrial and Residential Mixed Use for Compact, Economically Developed and Walkable City | by Mostafizur Rahman | Medium

http://aecom.com/without-limits/arti...or-our-cities/

Residents can co-exist with industrial. Plus the industry in that area is dying. Most have left for Theodore. I think a single trucking company owns the majority of the land in the area. The rest is the jail, vacant land, and bail bond companies. There are a few historic houses mixed in too. The streets are almost empty and with very little traffic.

The river front would most likely stay industrial. The views from a low rise apartment of the working harbor would be great.

Oh okay I see where you are getting at. I suppose an Industrial/Commercial/Residential mix wouldn't be a bad idea. However any industries that pop would have to meet strict regulations to reduce noise and hazard. Certainly cannot allow most forms of manufacturing as there's usually an ecologically hazard that could effect locals. I think warehousing and distribution would have to be the go to. You would also have to completely redesign the road network there to make it more pretty as this area would be a very volatile place in terms of residences. Also the buildings would have to be made with coastal flooding in mind as that area is only about 10-12 feet above sea level.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:01 PM

The buildings would have to be built taking into account the flood risk. Similar to what is done along most coastal areas. The area has a good street grid system. Water/Canal Street and Texas street area may need to be worked on. However, any redevelopment would have to start after the construction of the bridge.

Old 04-27-2021, 01:40 PM

Quote:
The buildings would have to be built taking into account the flood risk. Similar to what is done along most coastal areas. The area has a good street grid system. Water/Canal Street and Texas street area may need to be worked on. However, any redevelopment would have to start after the construction of the bridge.

I feel like this may be a secondary option for mid rise expansion outside downtown. The first could and should be the HUD land north of Downtown, already gridded and can further expand and develop into the land north of it

Old 04-27-2021, 02:20 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,901,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surge0001 View Post
I say get rid of the parking minimum, no off street parking. They are absolutely ugly. St Louis Street is riddled with them, makes the street more awful than it actually is. I say at the corners of the I-10 we place one or 2 public parking decks and then a deck of public parking decks around the center of downtown (but you have to pay a premium). For the I-165 side of downtown you can place the parking deck next to the bus hub and commuters can transit from there, or bike. On the 1-10 side parking decks you can make a mini bus hub that takes you throughout downtown as well with biking options
I agree with your sentiments, and thankfully the downtown area's new code already got rid of the parking minimum. I know the city is "planning" on building at least 2 more garages - 1 in the area of Washington and Dauphin and another northwest of Bienville Square.

Old 04-27-2021, 04:33 PM

Quote:
I feel like this may be a secondary option for mid rise expansion outside downtown. The first could and should be the HUD land north of Downtown, already gridded and can further expand and develop into the land north of it
Isn't some of the land north of downtown along MLK a brown field and contaminated? Not sure where I heard that. I could be remembering it wrong.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:59 PM

13,275 posts, read 9,831,342 times
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgA4FJWIjI8
*Video on Downtown parking minimums*

A new downtown garage just opened here (pretty sure it's open - may be near opening) with retail shops on the first floor. That should make it more aesthetically appealing.

https://www.crunkletonassociates.com...arking-garage/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Alabama > Mobile area