Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2021, 04:30 PM

875 posts, read 663,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
This isn't a dream. The article clearly stated that enrollment was down and if you don't have a Visa you can't come over. I'm not arguing that people are going to abandon Academia there's always going to be people that want to attend higher education but that's regardless of where it is and if it's a satellite campus or online..

The 18% drop is those that are not coming back but the enrollments before visas have dropped More than 70%. If you don't have visas they can't come over.

Heck in New Hampshire the governor is going so far to say they're not going to provide for vaccines for out-of-state students and that includes those from other countries.

Again, my point is that those #'s are from last year at the height of the pandemic - let's see where international applicants are in a year or two and beyond - I'm betting business as usual.

2021 applications are already setting records across the board. Will be interesting to see the final breakdown - national/international.

Harvard
"More than 57,000 students applied for a spot in Harvard College’s Class of 2025, marking a record high and forcing the Admissions Office to push back its decision release date by roughly a week, the office announced Thursday."
https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...s-record-high/

MIT
"This past year, inclusive of both Early and Regular Action, 33,240 students applied to join the MIT Class of 2025. This is an unprecedented increase of 66% over last year, when we received 20,075 applications, and is far and away the most applications we have ever received."
https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entr...able-online-4/

BU
"The University’s Admissions office reports a jaw-dropping 75,559 students applied to be a member of the Class of 2025, a 24 percent increase from last year and a new record, breaking the previous one set by the Class of 2022."
BU Sees Surge in Applicants despite Pandemic | BU Today | Boston University

BC
"Boston College set a new all-time school record this year for undergraduate applications—just under 40,000—in the midst of a pandemic that has created widespread economic and social distress."
https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/cam...diversity.html

NEU
"Northeastern University received more than 75,000 undergraduate applications for the 2021-22 academic year—a record number"
https://news.northeastern.edu/2021/0...20during%20the

The dream I'm referring to is yours that everyone switches to coursera/khan/online. Not happening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2021, 04:40 PM

16,402 posts, read 8,198,277 times
Yeah applications are up this year. Sometimes I wonder where the hell do all these people come from.

Old 03-28-2021, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
Yeah applications are up this year. Sometimes I wonder where the hell do all these people come from.
Relaxing standardized test scores requirements is certainly a driver nation wide.

Looks like international students are also up nation wide:

Applicants living outside the United States increased by 10% relative to 2019-20. Although applications from China declined by 18%, other countries showed significant growth, including India (+29%); Canada (+22%); Pakistan (+39%); the United Kingdom (+23%); and Brazil (+42%).

Old 03-28-2021, 05:59 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times
The dashboard is broke now but the vaccine report still works and MA has now passed 2.2 million first dose.

At 200k first dose per week we would hit 3.5 million in the first week of May. It should get pretty easy to get an appointment by then. Any faster moves up the timeline. Maybe Baker can use the uptick to encourage the Feds to send a lot more.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:20 AM

7,924 posts, read 7,814,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Again, my point is that those #'s are from last year at the height of the pandemic - let's see where international applicants are in a year or two and beyond - I'm betting business as usual.

2021 applications are already setting records across the board. Will be interesting to see the final breakdown - national/international.

Harvard
"More than 57,000 students applied for a spot in Harvard College’s Class of 2025, marking a record high and forcing the Admissions Office to push back its decision release date by roughly a week, the office announced Thursday."
https://www.thecrimson.com/article/2...s-record-high/

MIT
"This past year, inclusive of both Early and Regular Action, 33,240 students applied to join the MIT Class of 2025. This is an unprecedented increase of 66% over last year, when we received 20,075 applications, and is far and away the most applications we have ever received."
https://mitadmissions.org/blogs/entr...able-online-4/

BU
"The University’s Admissions office reports a jaw-dropping 75,559 students applied to be a member of the Class of 2025, a 24 percent increase from last year and a new record, breaking the previous one set by the Class of 2022."
BU Sees Surge in Applicants despite Pandemic | BU Today | Boston University

BC
"Boston College set a new all-time school record this year for undergraduate applications—just under 40,000—in the midst of a pandemic that has created widespread economic and social distress."
https://www.bc.edu/bc-web/bcnews/cam...diversity.html

NEU
"Northeastern University received more than 75,000 undergraduate applications for the 2021-22 academic year—a record number"
https://news.northeastern.edu/2021/0...20during%20the

The dream I'm referring to is yours that everyone switches to coursera/khan/online. Not happening.
It's hard to argue that it's a dream when it doesn't matter if they've applied for it if they're not going to actually apply for the actual visa to come over. Are they or are they not applying for visas to come over or are they simply applying and taking the classes online your links don't show this. Simply applying to enter Academia by itself isn't a signal of anything when you consider they can't accept everybody coming in and even then you've got covid-19 Den logistical challenges.

If it's going to take years for Global herd immunity what are the chances that some people frankly are going to be uncomfortable spending the amount of time and money and effort to go overseas if they have to care for members of their own family? It would simply be easier and cheaper to attend Academia online or at a foreign campus.

If academia doesn't care about costs then explain to us all why the Green Computing Center in Holyoke rather than Lexington? The reason why is because the electrical cost is half the price.

https://www.mghpcc.org/

"The MGHPCC operates as a joint venture between Boston University, Harvard University, the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Northeastern University, and the University of Massachusetts. It is open for use by any research organization."

New England ISO is also in the area. Heck I've got a friend that worked at Wyeth and it was bought out by pziser and their facility was in Lawrence. None of these places are in the 128 belt.

There's nothing wrong with having Apple in communities where houses are half a million if not a million on average. But if you actually think that the private sector gets her it's on on income or return on Revenue in a high-priced area ask yourself what is hardly any factories in Eastern Massachusetts. You get greater cash flow from houses than you do from Industrial and Commercial facilities. Just take a short drive across the state and you'll see that this is obvious.

Academia is a business and they need to make money. If what you're saying is true why would there be any online classes or overseas campus it's for that reason? What is preventing Harvard and say MIT from shutting down all overseas campuses in all online courses? Nothing. But they'd lose revenue if they do.

https://worldwide.harvard.edu/harvard-world

So none of this matters

Old 03-29-2021, 05:40 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Update:
Pre-registered among the first 200k pre-registered people in the state (ie, 4 hours after pre-registration became possible).
Became eligible for vaccine one week ago (age 60-64), but am healthy, not an essential worker since my early-ish retirement last year, and am white.

No word of available appointment yet through pre-registration system.
Tried other websites (pharmacies, medical center vaccination sites), but they seem to never have any appointments open.
I kind of resigned to being possibly the last person in MA to get vaccinated.....
Continuing the same routine of never going anywhere except for a quick weekly run to the grocery store during senior hour, wearing two masks for that occasion, and not interacting with anyone else. Hopefully that will continue to work for 2-3 more months.

Old 03-29-2021, 05:51 AM

I can only make the same point so many times .... I'm moving on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post

Old 03-29-2021, 06:13 AM

1,717 posts, read 1,807,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnrgby View Post
Update:
Pre-registered among the first 200k pre-registered people in the state (ie, 4 hours after pre-registration became possible).
Became eligible for vaccine one week ago (age 60-64), but am healthy, not an essential worker since my early-ish retirement last year, and am white.

No word of available appointment yet through pre-registration system.
Tried other websites (pharmacies, medical center vaccination sites), but they seem to never have any appointments open.
I kind of resigned to being possibly the last person in MA to get vaccinated.....
Continuing the same routine of never going anywhere except for a quick weekly run to the grocery store during senior hour, wearing two masks for that occasion, and not interacting with anyone else. Hopefully that will continue to work for 2-3 more months.
The pre registration system pool picks you at random, the fact that you signed up early doesn't matter unfortunately. I registered within hours of the site being released and was given an opportunity last week. I was able to get a slot at CVS though so I declined. This AM I got 2 coworkers appointments using the CVS site, and one for a relative on saturday night for Worcester/St. Vincent. The mass vax pregregistration will get you there eventually but I'd be looking elsewhere. Just need to be persistent.

From the CVS Covid Vaccine page, click on a state that has availability (I ususally use Alabama), click "schedule an appointment now", begin filling out the questions and select Massachusetts once you reach the page with the dropdown list. From there it will bring up a search by location page. Just keep the page up throughout the day and start typing in various towns/cities. It seems to not work properly, for example I searched Waltham and found no appointments, but when I searched Acton it brought up appointments in Waltham. They seem to release the time slots at 3-4AM, so wake up super early and try or just trying when you have free time.

Old 03-29-2021, 06:34 AM

8,373 posts, read 4,391,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
The pre registration system pool picks you at random, the fact that you signed up early doesn't matter unfortunately. I registered within hours of the site being released and was given an opportunity last week. I was able to get a slot at CVS though so I declined. This AM I got 2 coworkers appointments using the CVS site, and one for a relative on saturday night for Worcester/St. Vincent. The mass vax pregregistration will get you there eventually but I'd be looking elsewhere. Just need to be persistent.

From the CVS Covid Vaccine page, click on a state that has availability (I ususally use Alabama), click "schedule an appointment now", begin filling out the questions and select Massachusetts once you reach the page with the dropdown list. From there it will bring up a search by location page. Just keep the page up throughout the day and start typing in various towns/cities. It seems to not work properly, for example I searched Waltham and found no appointments, but when I searched Acton it brought up appointments in Waltham. They seem to release the time slots at 3-4AM, so wake up super early and try or just trying when you have free time.

Thank you for explaining the procedure, which may benefit someone with more exposure to the virus, and more patience than I have :-). I need to get an appointment in central Boston, because I don't have a car, and don't want to take any other transportation until I am fully vaccinated... so, the vaccination site has to be within 5 miles from my home, somewhere where I can walk. That does include both Boston mass vaccination sites covered by pre-registration.

Old 03-29-2021, 07:21 AM

15,798 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfgang239 View Post
That's for the tips. I've been trying to get an appt through CVS now for a couple of weeks so i'll need to change up my strategy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts