Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2020, 05:35 PM

2,352 posts, read 1,780,522 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
More than half of the people I know who have had covid have longterm effects, most typically fatigue, lung issues, racing heartbeat, and relapses of initial symptoms. Less commonly, I have two friends who are now on dialysis and one friend (healthy weight, an athlete) who developed diabetes. These were previously healthy people in their 20s and 30s.
Maybe most just aren't over it just yet. Maybe the one who was diagnosed with diabetes had it all along.

I am kind of wondering why there's been plenty of talk about vaccines yet there hasn't been much about treatments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2020, 05:41 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
174 new cases today. That’s not so bad.

Old 08-30-2020, 06:25 PM

15,796 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
How many people with covid do you know?
In the very long run - I would not be surprised if covid cuts many, many lives short due to hear/lung/kidney damage or diabetes amongst the "survivors". And what happens if you caught covid, didn't recover completely, and catch the flu 2 years later? Are you going to be more likely to die? Probably so.
In one study of covid survivors, with most not hospitalized and with an average age in the 40's, 78% of them showed heart damage on MRI...https://www.diagnosticimaging.com/vi...id-19-patients

That right there is alarming. It’s tough to listen to people say it’s just a bad cold and most people recover, and then see article after article about lingering heart damage in healthy people who had really minor symptoms. What if this damage is long term and knocks 10-20 years off your life?

Old 08-30-2020, 06:54 PM

9,880 posts, read 7,212,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yesmaybe View Post
Maybe most just aren't over it just yet. Maybe the one who was diagnosed with diabetes had it all along.

I am kind of wondering why there's been plenty of talk about vaccines yet there hasn't been much about treatments.
Because like a vaccine, treatments require long periods of research and testing in order to find something that works in a vast majority of patients. What we are seeing now is a shotgun approach to treatment. Since January, much has been learnt in terms of best practices but there isn't a standard procedure for treatment.

Old 08-30-2020, 06:57 PM

17,738 posts, read 9,192,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
That right there is alarming. It’s tough to listen to people say it’s just a bad cold and most people recover, and then see article after article about lingering heart damage in healthy people who had really minor symptoms. What if this damage is long term and knocks 10-20 years off your life?
I mentioned something similar a few pages back.

What I find really odd is that we hear from so few people who have recovered. It doesn't make sense (unless it's a matter of shame). A couple nights ago I saw an interview with a woman who recovered from the virus, and she was in tears. No, not because of lingering issues. It was because people at her work won't even enter a room she's in. She said everybody in her life is avoiding her now.

Old 08-30-2020, 09:20 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I imagine there is a shame factor which is why we hear from so few people who’ve recovered from it. We have friends who’s mother in law was one of the first cases of corona back in March or April. She has recovered and her daughter in law still doesn’t want to be around her or let her around the kids. I kind of understand the anxiety but I’ve also heard it could be good to be exposed to whatever antibodies the mother in law has at this point. Who knows.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:24 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,923,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

What I find really odd is that we hear from so few people who have recovered. It doesn't make sense (unless it's a matter of shame). A couple nights ago I saw an interview with a woman who recovered from the virus, and she was in tears. No, not because of lingering issues. It was because people at her work won't even enter a room she's in. She said everybody in her life is avoiding her now.
Aren't we all still supposed to be socially distancing? Sure, there may be some lingering stigma around known patients, but I am not supposed to be in the same room as another person at work for any reason.

Old 08-31-2020, 03:58 AM

12,427 posts, read 9,529,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
I am afraid that the reason that some people (starting in the Oval Office) say Covid-19 is no big deal, is because the President has totally botched the Federal response, and things haven't gone well. If the scientists, doctors and public health community turn things around in spite of him, then suddenly, the rhetoric will turn on a dime, and we will be hearing what a terrible threat Donald Trump saved us from, rather than the current line of propaganda that says it's much ado about nothing.

Old 08-31-2020, 04:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayrandom View Post
Aren't we all still supposed to be socially distancing? Sure, there may be some lingering stigma around known patients, but I am not supposed to be in the same room as another person at work for any reason.

I don't know what it's like at that woman's workplace but apparently she's being singled out.

Old 08-31-2020, 05:38 AM

This 21-year-old thought he had overcome a mild case of Covid-19. Then he went into organ failure
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts