Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2020, 08:51 AM

875 posts, read 663,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by htfdcolt View Post
I see a return to Phase 2 coming. Anyone else?

https://www.boston.com/news/coronavi...ts-coronavirus
Quite possible but it will depend on the overall trend over the next week or two.. and even more so as colleges/schools are back to whatever extent in early September.

Not unexpected - a combination of some reopening, more travel, taking more risks etc. It's always going to be a trade off unfortunately.

(But .... I thought that the 'china virus' was 'receding' as of yesterday )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2020, 08:56 AM

6,129 posts, read 5,098,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sawyer2 View Post
Quite possible but it will depend on the overall trend over the next week or two.. and even more so as colleges/schools are back to whatever extent in early September.

Not unexpected - a combination of some reopening, more travel, taking more risks etc. It's always going to be a trade off unfortunately.

(But .... I thought that the 'china virus' was 'receding' as of yesterday )
I think the charts show a clear correlation between the start of Phase 3, and the upward trend in case count and positivity % rate. This is all BEFORE the influx of students. My view--if Baker waits till the students return, to assess whether to go back to Phase 2, it'll get out of control quickly.

Old 08-04-2020, 10:33 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
I think the charts show a clear correlation between the start of Phase 3, and the upward trend in case count and positivity % rate. This is all BEFORE the influx of students. My view--if Baker waits till the students return, to assess whether to go back to Phase 2, it'll get out of control quickly.

The alternative is to put real teeth in the penalties and enforce it like crazy. Exposed mask nose? $500. We accept smartphone photos as evidence. You can appeal but it's $1000 in non-recoverable court costs. House party? $10 grand. You don't pay? We attach your house. Renting? Automatic eviction. Minors? We go after the parents. License suspensions and bigger fines for multiple or serious offenses.

You can open most things up if everyone follows the rules. That probably includes colleges with single occupancy dorm rooms and in-person only for things that can't be done online like labs.

My rules for college students? Kegger with no masks? The college is required to expel you and you forfeit your tuition for the semester. They're required to publish names of any students they expel and it has to appear on a transcript.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The alternative is to put real teeth in the penalties and enforce it like crazy. Exposed mask nose? $500. We accept smartphone photos as evidence. You can appeal but it's $1000 in non-recoverable court costs. House party? $10 grand. You don't pay? We attach your house. Renting? Automatic eviction. Minors? We go after the parents. License suspensions and bigger fines for multiple or serious offenses.

You can open most things up if everyone follows the rules. That probably includes colleges with single occupancy dorm rooms and in-person only for things that can't be done online like labs.

My rules for college students? Kegger with no masks? The college is required to expel you and you forfeit your tuition for the semester. They're required to publish names of any students they expel and it has to appear on a transcript.
Agree in theory but what you're proposing will be more porous, far more unpopular, and require enforcement resources that we currently don't have. Plus gyms & indoor dining, which could be at least partly to blame, would remain open. Go back to Phase 2--we've got a couple of months (easily) of outdoor dining weather left.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:28 AM

12,866 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Agree in theory but what you're proposing will be more porous, far more unpopular, and require enforcement resources that we currently don't have. Plus gyms & indoor dining, which could be at least partly to blame, would remain open. Go back to Phase 2--we've got a couple of months (easily) of outdoor dining weather left.
I don't know. I'm on board with $1 Billion+ fines for the mask hanging down under the nose.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
I don't know. I'm on board with $1 Billion+ fines for the mask hanging down under the nose.
LOL...and to think they call him "Dictator Baker" now! Just wait...

Old 08-04-2020, 11:52 AM

15,797 posts, read 20,504,199 times
Technically, in order to meet the 14-day quarantine for persons coming in from out of state, those students should be coming into town in the next week? I seriously doubt many are actually doing this.

With Sept 1 being a big move-in day, can see plenty of kids moving in that day, getting affairs in order and showing up to class the next day or so. Of course that assumes they don't get the neg test 3-days prior.

I actually know of several people who were out of state in PA or other locations deemed "high-risk" who came back on Sun AUg 2nd, and then went to work like nothing happened on Monday.

That whole travel ban/quarantine rule has no teeth.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:55 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,259,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post

$1 billion fine plus a public spanking.

I'm curious what Massachusetts is going to do about Rhode Island. According to the Massachusetts metrics, Rhode Island is no longer a "safe state". Connecticut just put Rhode Island on the persona non grata list as did New York. I imagine there are an awful lot of central Mass people who use Rhode Island beaches. I wouldn't think most people would risk a $7,000 fine to go to the beach from Massachusetts.

Old 08-04-2020, 11:56 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,321,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMike7 View Post
Technically, in order to meet the 14-day quarantine for persons coming in from out of state, those students should be coming into town in the next week? I seriously doubt many are actually doing this.

With Sept 1 being a big move-in day, can see plenty of kids moving in that day, getting affairs in order and showing up to class the next day or so. Of course that assumes they don't get the neg test 3-days prior.

I actually know of several people who were out of state in PA or other locations deemed "high-risk" who came back on Sun AUg 2nd, and then went to work like nothing happened on Monday.

That whole travel ban/quarantine rule has no teeth.
Never had. I passed through international arrivals after the travel ban in March and Heathrow was more concerned about me moving about the US than Logan was.

Old 08-04-2020, 12:29 PM

2,674 posts, read 1,547,966 times
I don’t think it takes a harvard scientist to figure out that with things happening now and students returning to Boston from all over the globe that there will be a spike. It’s not a matter of if it’s when.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts