Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2022, 12:13 PM

6,138 posts, read 5,105,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdovell View Post
Personally as a country from what I'm reading is that if you are boosted or vaxxed that omnicron isn't that big of a deal. Again it's the unvaxxed taking this on the chin. If we're all vaxed and omnicron is just a mild sore throut what's the issue? If the mutations keep getting weaker I think we'll be done (domestically) by June. At this point it really has to shift to overseas if we want to really get the economy going again.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/coro...-says/3476817/

"Every patient I’ve seen with Covid that’s had a 3rd ‘booster’ dose has had mild symptoms. By mild I mean mostly sore throat. Lots of sore throat. Also some fatigue, maybe some muscle pain. No difficulty breathing. No shortness of breath. All a little uncomfortable, but fine," Spencer wrote.

From there, it goes downhill - slowly, though.

"Most patients I’ve seen that had 2 doses of Pfizer/Moderna still had ‘mild’ symptoms, but more than those who had received a third dose. More fatigued. More fever. More coughing. A little more miserable overall. But no shortness of breath. No difficulty breathing. Mostly fine," he said.

For those who just had the one shot of the J&J vaccine and never took a booster, the situation isn't as good.

"Most patients I’ve seen that had one dose of J&J and had Covid were worse overall. Felt horrible. Fever for a few days (or more). Weak, tired. Some shortness of breath and cough. But not one needing hospitalization. Not one needing oxygen. Not great. But not life-threatening," he tweeted.

And then there are the unvaccinated, who by all data are being hospitalized at a rate 15x or more the vaccinated."

"And almost every single patient that I’ve taken care of that needed to be admitted for Covid has been unvaccinated. Every one with profound shortness of breath. Every one whose oxygen dropped when they walked. Every one needing oxygen to breath regularly," he said.

Spencer's recommendations were straightforward -- get vaccinated if you haven't, get a second dose of something else if you've had one J&J shot, and if you're eligible, get a booster.

"So no matter your political affiliation, or thoughts on masks, or where you live in this country, as an ER doctor you’d trust with your life if you rolled into my emergency room at 3am, I promise you that you’d rather face the oncoming Omicron wave vaccinated," Spencer concluded."

At this point I'm vaxxed boosted and have masks. I'm not really worried.
Well, this just hot off the press...hardly surprising, but reinforcing that boosters are the new "vaccinated"

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2022/01/...oosters-staff/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2022, 12:35 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizcuit View Post
I wonder if any vaxxed & boostered people who catch Omicron are experiencing (or will experience) any of the long haulers' problems. It's probably too soon to tell.
I've been asking this question to those who have been recently been infected and have not heard of any. Granted it's probably still too early to really ascertain.

The vast majority (if not all) of folks i know who have had it recently have been vaccinated and gotten their booster and had really minor symptoms.

Old 01-04-2022, 12:40 PM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Delta is still out there, right?

Regarding hospitalizations and deaths, I'm wondering it's more a matter of Delta vs Omicron than it is vaccination status.

When someone gets covid, they don't know if it's Omicron or Delta.

Is it possible that all of the people having problems have the Delta variation? And all the people with mild cases are Omicron?

Old 01-04-2022, 01:00 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I had it a few weeks ago and I'm not having any issues. I dont know anyone else who is either. Seems to be a lot of media sensation over this 'long haul' issue. Sorry to anyone experiencing it - I'm sure there are people on here who will blast me saying they have it or their uncle does.
Well, my brother is permanently disabled from it, so you'll have to forgive me if I believe that it's real.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:06 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,519,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redplum33 View Post
Delta is still out there, right?
I read an article this AM (of course i can't find it now) stating that it was roughly a 95%/5% split between Omicron/Delta based on sporadic testing and some extrapolation.

Old 01-04-2022, 01:24 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
New one in France:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/88691015.cms

Unvaxxed traveled to Africa.

The new variant from the lineage named B.1.640.2 is believed to have infected 12 people in the country, according to a yet-to-be peer-reviewed study supported by the French Government.
It has 46 mutations and 37 deletions.

Old 01-04-2022, 02:44 PM

9,885 posts, read 7,217,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
New one in France:

https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/...w/88691015.cms

Unvaxxed traveled to Africa.

The new variant from the lineage named B.1.640.2 is believed to have infected 12 people in the country, according to a yet-to-be peer-reviewed study supported by the French Government.
It has 46 mutations and 37 deletions.
My understanding is that it is the 14th variant based on the use of the Greek alphabet. Unless it becomes a dominant strain, we won't hear much about it.

Old 01-04-2022, 03:01 PM

26,655 posts, read 28,697,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
My understanding is that it is the 14th variant based on the use of the Greek alphabet. Unless it becomes a dominant strain, we won't hear much about it.
I hope it goes away!!!!!!!!

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/ihu-covid-...105248086.html

Old 01-05-2022, 05:14 AM

17,748 posts, read 9,202,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post
I had it a few weeks ago and I'm not having any issues. I dont know anyone else who is either. Seems to be a lot of media sensation over this 'long haul' issue. Sorry to anyone experiencing it - I'm sure there are people on here who will blast me saying they have it or their uncle does.

"A major recent study found that the COVID-19 virus spreads to almost every organ and tissue in the body, especially the brain and heart, and persists there for over 7 months – in people of all ages from 6 to 91, including those who had mild or even no symptoms."

SARS-CoV-2 infection and persistence throughout the human body and brain

Source: 7 Ways to Reduce The Risks of Getting Infected by Omicron

Old 01-05-2022, 06:49 AM

3,933 posts, read 2,195,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach5 View Post
My crazy (?) hypothesis right now is that our government/CDC/Biden/Fauci want to let Omicron rip, and infect everybody as quickly as possible, to minimize the time that hospitals and other services are out of commission - because they know many, many people will die from lack of emergency care for non-covid illness for the next few weeks. The alternative would be a strict lockdown. Just vague masking guidelines with crappy masks, and an inadequate testing infrastructure are not enough to stop Omicron from overwhelming hospitals at this point. That's the only explanation I can see for Fauci and Walensky to encourage people to send their kids to school tomorrow, when for the next few weeks, due to staff and student illness, schools will be barely adequate babysitting at best, and not resemble anything close to a normal learning experience.
I would respect them more if they outright admitted that, instead of claiming that schools are safe with testing (what tests?!?) and masking (what masking during lunch? what kind of mask?) and pleading to get kids vaccinated (too late to stem the Omicron wave). Come on, Fauci! https://news.yahoo.com/fauci-school-...162829832.html
Just tell us the truth.
Agree with the above: even Israel started to discuss of letting it all unfold by protecting the most vulnerable.
A jab every 6 months for all is unsustainable.. and there is a concern regarding ”the immune exhaustion”
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts